Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey, the bottom line is Gary's book is much ado about nothing

i think with 20/20 hindsight, it's easy to say "they knew 100% that the wreck was the U-869" prior to bringing the tag up and all that was theatrics

however, until something from the wreck actually confirmed that, all they had was a good guess. thikn about it.... they had no PROOF that the wreck they had found was the same wreck on the records .... even if they had the right records...

once they retrieved the tag, then AND ONLY THEN did they KNOW they had the U-869

it's too bad Gary has chosen to second guess and Monday morning quarterback the efforts that went into that discovery

i suspect his motives are clouded by a sense that C and K have gotten much too much credit and profit, including a book, movie rights, a t.v. show and the kind of public acclaim that has eluded Gary outside of the hard-core diving community

thus, i don't think he is an impartial and unbiased observer in this issue

H2Andy:
hey, the bottom line is Gary's book is much ado about nothing

i think with 20/20 hindsight, it's easy to say "they knew 100% that the wreck was the U-869" prior to bringing the tag up and all that was theatrics

however, until something from the wreck actually confirmed that, all they had was a good guess.

once they retrieved the tag, they KNEW they had the U-869

it's too bad Gary has chosen to second guess and Monday morning quarterback the efforts that went into that discovery
I was doing support dives for guys diving the Athel Viking. (Same guy who was videoing JC in the U-869)...anyways its in the right spot. Comparing the video to pictures, it has the same structures. But they were still looking for the ships letters on the bow to 100% confirm that it is the Athel Viking.

Thats wreck diving...

If it wasn't for the way Kurson wrote SD I would have taken it at face value. For example the way McMurray wrote Dark Descent about the Empress of Ireland I thought it was a better telling of the story of the wreck and the people involved.

ack.. see... i thought the writing in Shadow Divers was much more engaging (despite one or two false steps) than Dark Descent

i loved Deep Descent, but had to force myself through Dark Descent

H2Andy:
ack.. see... i thought the writing in Shadow Divers was much more engaging (despite one or two false steps) than Dark Descent

i loved Deep Descent, but had to force myself through Dark Descent

LOL I too found Kursons' take entertaining but just that "entertainment" where as McMurrays' take more of a human (for lack of a better word) telling, By that I mean he didn't make anyone out to be some kind of a "super diver"
Funny too, I had to force myself to read Shadow Divers all the way thru.

less filling!!

:wink:

Hey, this whole thread is fun, almost as good reading as the books in question! Is it just me or is anyone else struck by the eery similarities between Tonka's arguments and the way Gentile and SD Exposed attacks Kurson and his book? Both make grandiose attacking statements without be willing to backup with data. Tell us, Tonka, does being the head of the Gentile fan club pay much, or is it a volunteer position? If it isn't a full time job, I hear Olliver Stone is looking for his next "factual" topic.

One thing this thread makes me want to do - go find a copy of that Three Stooges cookbook. Mmmm, Curly Cakes! Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!

Doubtful, but maybe we can collect in the libel suit when Gentile and Tonka co-author "Scuba Board Exposed! The Shocking Mistruths Behind the Forums and the BP/W Zealots"

Back
Top Bottom