Shackleton and the Endurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dody

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I came across the story of the Endurance and Shackleton. I find it extraordinary. Another expedition will try to locate the wreck that lies at 3000m this month. I know that it is not really about diving but does someone know if a documentary or a movie was made about this adventure? I would be surprised that Hollywood or others missed it.

It will be interesting to see if they can also find the AUV (Autonomous Underwater Vehicle) they lost on the first expedition. As I recall, they think it received the signal to surface and was stuck under the ice.

Finding one of those wash ashore would be a lot cooler than a note in a bottle — unless they mistake it for a torpedo.

For anyone interested in seafaring will enjoy reading Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.

Somehow, I missed this thread.

For our 40th wedding anniversary at the end of 2019, just before Covid, my wife and I did a cruise to the Falkland Islands, South Georgia, and Antarctica. One of the many, many highlights was hearing the details of Shackleton's extraordinary voyage of 1914-17. We sailed past Elephant Island and Point Wild. We visited Shackleton's grave at the abandoned whaling station at Grytviken, South Georgia. Our ship's historian made a very moving whiskey toast at the gravesite. Quite a story.

In his 1956 address to the British Science Association, Sir Raymond Priestly, one of his contemporaries, said "Scott for scientific method, Amundsen for speed and efficiency but when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton"

Amazing to find a wooden ship in that shape in the ocean. Looks like a Great Lakes wreck!

Back
Top Bottom