SF2 vs JJ vs Liberty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually like axial scrubbers, but what do I know.

No radial scrubber experience to speak of yet, but I'm looking into the extended range jj axial at some point in the future. What would you say are the biggest pros and cons?

I actually like axial scrubbers, but what do I know.
Me too
Radial scrubbers are the "environmentally sealed" reg of the CCR world. Everyone looks at them and oooohs cause simple gets no love

What is complicated about the xccr?

Nothing in particular. People say stuff like that all the time and I think it’s primarily based on a preference against units with BOV or ADV or Both.

Delrin cans can warp in heat, aluminum is fine and tough and no it doesnt rust which is why the JJ is aluminum too.
Co2 sensor is not necessary IMO, complicated, potentially leads to pushing the scrubber, and lastly its crazy expensive
The Meg ADV is genius in its simplicity, I dont think the xCCR can improve on that.
The Shrimp is a nice BOV, but best? Best at what and compared to what?

And the Xccr offers both Delrin and Aluminum cans. Get whichever you like.

This ‘crazy expensive’ criticism comes up a lot too. I don’t see it. Comparing new units with comparable config (general construction, including tanks, regs, BOV, ADV, etc) it seems to be at the top of the price range. But not vastly more. Once you factor in training (and travel for training and supplies), any top tier rebreather is basically the same price.

No radial scrubber experience to speak of yet, but I'm looking into the extended range jj axial at some point in the future. What would you say are the biggest pros and cons?

In my opinion, the biggest pros of an axial scrubber are simplicity in packing and greater bed depth, the biggest cons of an axial scrubber are increased work of breathing.

In my opinion, the biggest pros of a radial scrubber are increased surface area and better work of breathing, but it comes at the expense of more difficulty to pack and shorter bed depth.

Everything has trade-offs.

Aluminum doesn’t rust because that’s the term for iron oxide; Aluminum absolutely will oxidize.
The JJ and Meg cans are both anodized. They dont corrode. If you want a delrin can go ahead, they are lighter. But that doesnt necessarily make them "better"

Of the 3 CCRs in the title I would get a JJ.
If the universe is broader I would consider a defender and a meg but the OP can do what they want.

Why would someone prefer plastic to metal toys.
I never heard of anodised cans failing in any way, and megs have had them for decades.

I did however witness revo scrubber caps getting damaged in transport, ap cans warping and chipping on the sealing surfaces. (Who would have tought that superglue baking soda and nailpolish can save a dive...)

I never heard of anodised cans failing in any way, and megs have had them for decades.

Aluminum anodized cans can be damaged by a caustic cocktail. I don’t think that limited exposure creates a failure per se but it’s sure not pretty.

But everything is a trade off. The weight difference is true. Imo, the functional advantage of POM/Delrin cans is that they are better thermal insulators. Maybe that matters and maybe it doesn’t.

The JJ and Meg cans are both anodized. They dont corrode. If you want a delrin can go ahead, they are lighter. But that doesnt necessarily make them "better"

I should preface this by saying I cut plastics and metals of all kinds for a living and I am just being nitpicky about "rust" WRT aluminum; it is a pet peeve of mine.

Since we started down the rabbit hole, after it is dinged or scratched oxidization can occur, plastic is homogeneous and doesn't have that problem. I hope the JJ and the Meg are type 3 hard ano which would help.

I am not really advocating for anyone material or another, there are trade-offs to all of them.

See above about trade-offs.

Also, there are some pretty bad ass plastics out there these days, don't dismiss them.

I am going to stop derailing this thread now on the materials tangent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom