Seven foot hose for single cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, seven foot hose for primary second stage. How about the hose length for alternate second stage, that just below the chin?

Ok, seven foot hose for primary second stage. How about the hose length for alternate second stage, that just below the chin?

Long enough that you can look all the way to the left with the backup in your mouth but no longer. That hose can be the most annoying one if the length is off.

Sorry if that sounds vague but it depends on your reg, your build, etc. You can use a longer (octo) hose to find the best length with someone holding the hose to the reg and giving you more or less slack. Then measure and order.

I used to dive with a guy who had gone through a cave course and came back with his 7' bungeed to the side of his tank. It was absolutely miserable to stow after we ran drills. Of course it was miserable for me, he just hovered while I had to stuff it back where it "belonged"

For most people, with a single tank setup, the 24" hose that is standard on a primary regulator works well for a bungied backup. To make the setup a bit neater and tighter, you may be able to use a 22" hose -- but a lot depends on where you are setting your first stage, height-wise. The bungie should be set so that the regulator rests low enough that it's not banging on your primary, but not so low that it hangs significantly away from your body when you are horizontal. (Some instructors teach that you should be able to pick up the secondary reg without using your hands.)

I have never dove any other way, my open water checkout gear was a 5' hose but that required a swivel at the second stage, a failure point i'm not interested in. 7' house routes great and i use a pair of shears in a sheath to hold it until I can afford a real can light.

Was that something peculiar to your setup? I use a 5' primary hose and one of the things I really like about it (compared to the original "stock" setup I had) is that -- without anything extra like a swivel -- the second stage just falls right into place, centered on my mouth. With the "stock" setup, the "U" of hose not only jutted out to my right (where it would bang into my buddy or get caught on things) but also was constantly trying to push the second stage over to the left side of my mouth ... not comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom