Seven foot hose for single cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was reading a NSS-CDS Cave Diving Manual circa 1993 or so and bungeeing the long hose was discussed as a proper technique. Either across/around the manifold (SRSLY!), or gathered and bungeed to the side of the tank.

There are still drawings of these techniques in the IANTD cave manual.

While I prefer a can light to hook the hose under it's quite possible (and easy with minimal practice) to simply push a loop of hose under the waist strap of the harness if no can light / knife / pocket is present.

Tobin

I've done it too, but as you said, I much prefer having a light, pocket or other item to route it under.

There are still drawings of these techniques in the IANTD cave manual.

Well, there you go. Guess some folks are still doing it. :blinking:

Bungieing the long hose is still being taught by older instructors -- I have a friend here in Seattle who was taught to dive that way just a few years ago.

I've done it too, but as you said, I much prefer having a light, pocket or other item to route it under.

Big difference between "prefer" and "must"

I point this out only because many folks who might be considering a long hose don't have, and may never have a waist mounted light canister.

Lack of a light canister is low on my list for not using a long hose.

Tobin

... and while you are busy reinventing the wheel, let us know how you come up with solutions for flat spots, brakes and mounting to your horse and cart.

Using the same gear configuration where possible across all of your dive configurations helps to maintain muscle memory so if there is any chance of getting into doubles/tech training, now is a good time to start familiarization.

As an example:
- Single Tank, Doubles, and Side Mount can all use the same hose routing - Long 7' primary and necklace secondary.
- Knife on the left waist belt is identical on singles, doubles, Side Mount and Rebreather configuration.
- Primary and backup light configuration is identical across Single, Doubles etc.

DIR GUE/UTD "requires" a 7ft primary hose and its not worth debating anything different as it's the standard developed over many years by people more experienced than us. I believe the primary reason for 7' is it allows enough hose length to pass forward or backwards if you have two divers single file in the restriction. If a bunch of basketball players were diving restrictions, I believe there would be a good case for longer primary hoses.

Last edited:
Why would you need a 7' hose rather than one at any other length for open water?
It is not a question of "need" but, instead, a question of "like" a 7' hose in open water -- and you have been given several reasons -- but here is another that is SOLELY relevant for recreational, open water, diving.

My primary dive buddy breathes like a bird -- in warm water, something on the nature of 0.3 ft3/min at the surface (SAC/RMV). I, OTOH, breathe more like a human -- something on the nature of 0.45-0.5 ft3/min in warm water. So, in order to "steal more bottom time" I often "borrow a cup of air" from her during a warm water recreational dive and the 7' hose makes this trivial. I can continue to dive alongside her without being "attached" to her -- even to the point of stopping and taking pictures. After stealing her gas for 5-600 PSI, I give the reg back to her and we continue on our merry way until we (I!) reach rock bottom or agreed upon time limit.

There really ARE uses for a long hose in recreational diving and they don't have anything to do with "herd mentality" or such. AND by not having it bungied to the tank, it is trivial for her to re-route it under her can light, across her chest and behind her neck.

I point this out only because many folks who might be considering a long hose don't have, and may never have a waist mounted light canister.

Tobin

To OP:

Stuffing the hose under your waist belt always works.

If you plan on getting a canister light later you can easily mock-up the canister in the meantime with a piece of PVC pipe, a piece of webbing, and two hose clamps.

In either case, you should practice the long hose deployment and re-storing under water; Peter mentioned above an excellent and practically useful way to practice deployment, air-share swimming, and clean-up.

Also, make sure that you check the long hose deployment before diving - every time. It is possible to accidentally capture the long hose with your dry suit inflation hose for example and you do not want to become aware of that as late as when someone really needs your long hose.

Last edited:

Tobin

It was early here and I was still a bit "fuzzy". You're right, it was a poor choice of words and potentially misleading. Apologies.

MK 706
NO I DID NOT GET THE DIVE RITE LIGTH. BY THE TIME I MADE UP MY MIND, OUT OF STOCK:depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom