Setting up my first BP/W got some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j3rmzh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am currently not a DIR diver but definitely desiring to head that way, I have a wing in the mail on the way to my house and a already have the BP, so I will be assembling my harness here in the next month or so.

The question I have is in relation to the specific rigging of the harness, I think I got it figured out as far as routing of the webbing, but when it comes to attaching the bolt snaps, and the bungee for holding down the BC inflater are there specifics regarding this anywhere on line? Or is this something that is in the books?

What knots do you use to attach the clips? How about the type of cord and the type of bungee?

I already have:
Cam straps
BP
Wing (on the way)

So I still need:
Webbing (2") - 14feet
5 D rings
Good Buckle
Knife

Any suggestions as to specific types of buckles? Anything else you guy's think I am missing?

Anything else you guy's think I am missing?

You are going to need triglides to go with those D-rings. Also, bent D-rings are nice on the shoulders and the waist strap.

Depending on the plate, you'll want two additional tri-glides to keep your straps in place (a DSS plate doesn't need this, a Halcyon or others do).

Easiest thing to do re the crotch strap is buy one pre-sewn, so that will actually knock you down to three rings total. Tobin at Deep Sea Supply sells one for $15.

You'll also need ~1/2 inch pieces of bike inner tubing to thread on your shoulder straps to hold down backup lights.

Re the bungie for the inflator, use thin stuff (1/8 inch, and tie a loop that gets threaded in with the d-ring on the right tri-glide.

I see you are in Seattle, if you need a hand with this shoot me a PM. We can probably get it threaded and fitted in an hour or so once you have all the parts. I may even have some webbing and a crotch strap lying around I can sell you.

I see you are in Seattle, if you need a hand with this shoot me a PM. We can probably get it threaded and fitted in an hour or so once you have all the parts. I may even have some webbing and a crotch strap lying around I can sell you.

Now that sounds like the best option. Make dsteding do the work for you :wink:

Seriously, getting someone who knows what their doing to help you set this up will probably save you a ton of time.

Bjorn

I am currently not a DIR diver but definitely desiring to head that way, I have a wing in the mail on the way to my house and a already have the BP, so I will be assembling my harness here in the next month or so.

The question I have is in relation to the specific rigging of the harness, I think I got it figured out as far as routing of the webbing, but when it comes to attaching the bolt snaps, and the bungee for holding down the BC inflater are there specifics regarding this anywhere on line? Or is this something that is in the books?

What knots do you use to attach the clips? How about the type of cord and the type of bungee?

I already have:
Cam straps
BP
Wing (on the way)

So I still need:
Webbing (2") - 14feet
5 D rings
Good Buckle
Knife

Any suggestions as to specific types of buckles? Anything else you guy's think I am missing?

Here's some step by step instructions:

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=instructions

Lacing the harness is pretty straight forward. Adjusting it to fit can be a bit more challenging. I'd take dsteding up on his offer.

Tobin

An inner tube for a mountain bike :D

Cut lots of strips for use on the webbing - put spares on, you will break them.

You can get the webbing, with all of the hardware, plus the special bungie for the left d-ring for the bc inflator hose to go through, plus nicely cut elastic pieces instead of cutting up an inner tube, for not very much from wreckdiverssupply.com

https://secure.gue.com/catalog/order

I recommend the book "Dressed for Success" by Dan MacKay. I used my mentor's when I was setting up my rig and purchased one for myself. It has really helped me alot!

Good luck!
Carolyn:sharks:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom