Setting up Light Monkey Tinkle pee valve for first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought these catheters after hearing good reviews on the brand. So all I do is shove 'em together in the orientation shown below?

And if I buy this quick disconnect system, is the primary benefit that it allows you to disconnect from the drysuit before taking off the catheter?

Also do you need prep your dick in any way? I tried one of the catheters on at home, putting it on seemed normal enough, but the adhesive made removing it pretty uncomfortable, even painful.

Lastly - how do folks route their pee valve hoses? Not sure why the length of the hose itself is so long. Just route the excess as a loop down your pee side leg?

IMG_7137.jpeg

Quick connect is connivance.

Everything else is personal preference.

Trim your hair/shave. The longer its on, the easier it comes off.

1 - I have never felt the need for a quick disconnect

2 - shave

3 - shower the night before (not the morning of) the dive. This way some body oils will be back and make removal easier. Do not try to remove immediately after the dive, wait until you get home. remove in a warm shower to help if needed.

4 - I install the pee valve near my ankle so I do not need such a long hose. :)

Wideband is good. The InView Extra is the same thing but has even more adhesive to prevent slippage later in the day. You can use alcohol wipes pre cath application if you have a problem with adhesion. You can also use some prep wipes* that don’t give the “tingle” of an alcohol wipe and leave a film that allegedly aids in removal.

For routing I go up to the bottom of the zipper on my undergarments then back down so that it will loop back up. More natural. Or you can orient your dive buddy facing up and not do the loop but I personally don’t find that as comfortable.

You’ll want to trim the tip of the cath so the connection from the per valve ends at the top of the cath so it doesn’t kink. A kink makes for a briefly uncomfortable experience while using followed by a semi-dry suit.

Take a nice hot shower at the end of the day and peel the cath off in the shower. Much easier.

* prep wipes: Buy Smith & Nephew Skin Prep Wipes at Medical Monks!

The prep wipes make removal a breeze if you don't have any stray hairs. All day diving or one and done, I just pull the cath off once I'm done for the day. They also clean the skin so adhesion is more likely to be consistent.

I think the quick disconnect makes it way easier. No need to try to get the cath on a hose barb while it’s already on your equipment. Attach one end to the cath before you put it on and then when you don your drysuit it’s way easier to get connected. When you disconnect the valve seals so no leaking when you unhook.

I cut a hole in my under garments for the hose to come in. Up and over just doesn’t seem natural to me.

Buy the tinkle valve service kit. Better yet buy two. I had to replace my duck bill valve twice within the first year. Even better, a LP port plug will thread right into the balance valve. It will make the valve unbalanced if you do that, but you’ll never have to worry about the duck bill valve going out and leaking on you. I thought the balance tinkle valve was the way to go based on my research also but the balance part of it is not worth the trouble.

Trim the cath down as short as possible before putting it on the barb. Less chance of kinking that way.

Prep wipes are worth it.

Good luck!

Edit* cut the hose to length. I left enough for a small loop right at the valve and that seems to work well for me. I could probably go shorter and have a straight shot but having some extra gives some extra flexibility.

Back
Top Bottom