Setting up doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really, really dislike this method.

I can't watch You Tube at work. :)

When assembling doubles, I apply the bands first, snug them up, and measure the center to center distance between the tank valves, record the observed dimension, remove the bands, adjust the manifold close to the observed dimension, attach the manifold, bands and then adjust and tighten.

the K

Ditto.

DA has a point.

I guess I'm just an over tooled tool nerd, but I actually us a torque wrench to tighten the tank bands and the lock rings on the manifold.

the K

:dork2:

:D

Yes, Cave Diver, I've finally come to recognize and accept the measure of myself . . . :shakehead:

Alas . . .

the K

If I understand you correctly, you mean that once you tightened the bands, the crossbar (with the isolator valve) did not rotate easily or not at all.
That was my interpretation of the OP as well.
What I would do is loosen the bands and spin the crossbar so that there is very little torque on the crossbar. Which direction do you spin? It's trial and error. ... Then slowly tighten the bands and periodically check to make sure the crossbar still spins slightly. You may have to spin the crossbar one or two times in either direction to find the point of least torque. If you really get the band bolts super tight the crossbar won't move at all even if the spacing is correct.
I do the very same. In other words, I am continually adjusting the position of the crossbar as I tighten the bands.
The other reason your crossbar might not rotate is that you have the crossbar lock nuts tightened down. Some people like to tighten these nuts so that the crossbar doesn't rotate, that way the isolator valve stay put.
This is where I differ a bit. I DO tighten the crossbar locking nuts (after the bands are fully tightened, and the crossbar is in the desired position, of course) , as above, rather than leaving them loose, as Doc does.

Two other points:
1. It probably goes without saying, that the doubles are assembled, and the bands are tightened, with the tanks empty.
2. I do fully tighten the tank bands, as much as possible.

Yes, Cave Diver, I've finally come to recognize and accept the measure of myself . . . :shakehead:

Alas . . .

the K

K-ourageous.

Thanks for the info! I ended up getting everything worked out...now it's time to get them wet tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom