Setting SS grommets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRon

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking at adding a few stainless steel grommets (7/16" ID - 7/8" OD) on my BC. Does anybody have any suggestions about a tool to use for this. I really don't want to buy the $50 "professional" tool.

Or are there any companies that do this as a service?
:snorkel:ScubaRon

If the material where you are placing the grommet can be layed out flat on a hard surface you can use a simple and cheap punch and die set designed to install the grommet.

Not as easy to set up as the larger plier type tools but a couple taps with a hammer and its done.

They usually have a cheap hand punch for 4 or 5 bucks that work well.

Hallmac

Have tools for this.

Most use a hydraulic press for setting stainless grommets, but many of these are much bigger.

The number 3 (7/16" hole) grommet can probably be set fine with hand tools but you would want the have the real punch and die to make a nice clean job of it. You *can* set one with a tapered punch to start and a ball peen hammer to finish but it won't look as nice.

Canvass worker will also often have these tools and will some upolstery shops.

Back
Top Bottom