Servicing your own Scubapro and Atomic regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there people here who have discarded the warranties and are servicing their own regulators? How hard is it to get parts for those two brands? Thanks.

Atomic kits can be had pretty easily, a quick search cam up with DGX and NESS. Scubapro parts are a little harder to come by, but there are usually kits to be had on ebay.

Atomic are easy to purchase but you have to pay through the nose for them.
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/atomic-service-kits/

Scubapro can only be had grey market through ebay and other sources, essentially impossible to purchase officially anywhere except for a select few countries in Europe. This is part of the reason you don't see Scubapro and Apeks being used in a lot of technical/cave diving where they used to be the gold standards.

Atomic are easy to purchase but you have to pay through the nose for them.
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/atomic-service-kits/

Scubapro can only be had grey market through ebay and other sources, essentially impossible to purchase officially anywhere except for a select few countries in Europe. This is part of the reason you don't see Scubapro and Apeks being used in a lot of technical/cave diving where they used to be the gold standards.

So what is the ref of preference in technical and cave? I know a lot of people like Hogs but anything else?

If you're shopping for new regulators, you might consider manufactured-by-Atomic Zeagles; the new (improved) kits are abundant, cheap, and easy to find. If you're not, sorry for mucking up your thread.

Last edited:
most are using Hogs and Dive Rites right now, and many will be jumping on Deep6 in about 3 weeks when Chris brings them in, some Hollis fanboys using theirs. The GUE guys are using their Halcyon rebranded Scubapros but the parts for those are just as hard to get. You still see Scubapro and Apeks around, Apeks much more so, but they are still hard to come across parts and those that still deal with them, have a connection to a shop that can get them parts. Atomic is just so bloody expensive and they don't come up used, but you see a handful of guys using them.

Of that lot, if I couldn't wait for Deep6, Dive Rite XT's would get the nod from me, they're really slick and I'm glad someone from the ODS camp finally made reversible regs standard. They don't have a lot of use, but they are nice for stage/deco bottles on the right side so they can come up and over your neck. I still use Poseidons, but that's my personal preference and it is extraordinarily rare when I see someone else in cave country using them. Forrest Wilson is about the only other diver that frequents cave country that I know of that dives them exclusively.

If you're shopping for new regulators, you might consider manufactured-by-Atomic Zeagles; the new (improved) kits are abundant, cheap, and easy to find. If you're not, sorry for mucking up your thread.

Not at all. All info is useful. I had no idea Zeagle was being made by Atomics.

Yup, HOG, Diverite, Apeks (I'm a service tech so I can get parts).

Not at all. All info is useful. I had no idea Zeagle was being made by Atomics.

Yeah, the new F8 second stage ( I was skeptical, but it's very nice) has the "seat-saver" feature like the Atomics. I think Zeagle has always been the most no-nonsense-owner-self-maintenance-friendly manufacturer of all. They were always really nicely made and I can't imagine that being made in the Atomic factory will make them any less nice.

I use Scubapro and service all my gear. Am a service tech but in OZ unless you work in a shop (and sell their gear) they are not keen to sell parts to you even when certified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom