Servicing your own regulators

Would you take a Manufacturer Approved Class on regulator servicing if offered?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of these comments ring so true. I’ve taken troubled regs with me to renewal seminars. In some cases many of the other techs had not seen, let alone dealt, with certain issues. Reg service classes can teach you how to service a reg and give tips to some of the simple common issues, but the courses cannot provide a student with “how to” for all unexpected rare issues that crop up. This is something that I learned while taking an electronics course back when I was in the military; the course was thorough, but could not cover every problem, something I learned out in the fleet.
Every class I teach seems to get something added to it. Based on regs that I get in for service between classes and what students show up with or do during the class.
For example, in the beginning, I never told people how an abandoned spider egg case may affect the movement of the lever in the second stage from a reg that had been in storage for a while. I do now.
It's also why my class is 2 days. Minimum of 10 hours.

For example, in the beginning, I never told people how an abandoned spider egg case may affect the movement of the lever in the second stage from a reg that had been in storage for a while. I do now.
If the mother is around and venomous(Black widow in N. America, Funnel web in Australia), not very funny.

Every class I teach seems to get something added to it. Based on regs that I get in for service between classes and what students show up with or do during the class.
It's also why my class is 2 days. Minimum of 10 hours.
Always, ALWAYS purge a reg before you take a breath

Servicing regs over the years the most disgusting thing is servicing gear of a heavy smoker. Even purging before a breath isn't enough. Yeh, roaches or their egg casings are par for the course.

I have cockroaches in my booties and wet suit.

My coworker used to leave his wetsuit on the boat overnight when we did multi day jobs. One morning he put on his wetsuit, got in the water, and felt a pain on his leg. Brown recluse spider bit him. That bite was a year long ordeal......

This thread is great and certainly pushing me in a direction I was already leaning. My biggest concern isn't so much the tools but rather the parts. Aside from Ebay getting parts seems to a be somewhat of a crap shoot especially so for say ... Apeks. Even more so now with Buddha having placed their last order. Based on casual chats I'm fairly certain none of the LDS here will supply parts kits. Is ebay really the only option?

This thread is great and certainly pushing me in a direction I was already leaning. My biggest concern isn't so much the tools but rather the parts. Aside from Ebay getting parts seems to a be somewhat of a crap shoot especially so for say ... Apeks. Even more so now with Buddha having placed their last order. Based on casual chats I'm fairly certain none of the LDS here will supply parts kits. Is ebay really the only option?

You mean service kits or replacement parts that aren't in a service kit?

Apeks service kits:

Apeks Regulator Service Kits

If you look around, you can find service kits as well as replacement parts for other brands.

Atomic Aquatics, Genesis, Hollis, Oceanic, Sherwood, Zeagle:

Regulator & Computer - Parts and Accessories - Regulator Parts - Page 1 - Coral Sea Scuba & Water Sports

Dive Rite, Poseidon:

Service Kits - Parts

Apeks, Aqualung, Atomic, Cressi, Mares, Poseidon:

Regulator Service Kits - Gidive Store

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom