Service: Rubicon Research Repository

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gene_Hobbs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/

The Rubicon Foundation, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization undertaking projects that (1) contribute to the interdependent dynamic between research, exploration, science and education; (2) improve the available resources for students, professionals and the general public; and (3) preserve the valuable natural resources that are vital to future endeavors. Currently we are working on a research repository that will make available documents more accessible.

Information is seperated into the sections below:

Technical Reports - This section is made up of various technical reports. We currently have hundreds of reports on hand from the US Naval Experimental Diving Unit (NEDU), the US Naval Medical Research Institute (NMRI), the US Naval Submarine Medical Research Laboratory (NSMRL) and the US Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine (USAFSAM) that are being added. We have other reports from all over the world and are negotiating copyright concerns on those now. New reports are added weekly so check back often.
Thesis - Ph.D. and M.S. theses from all over the world have been requested and will be filling this section. Many of the published theses cover baseline work not listed in the actual peer reviewed publications the authors submit. Many others are not even published in any format other than their final work for completion of the degree program. We are attempting to pull these works together so that this valuable work can be shared with everyone. Feel free to contact us with your thesis if you would like it added to our collection.
UHMS abstracts - These are the published abstracts from the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society annual meetings. These are currently unavailable in any index or other searchable format. Their addition helps to make this collection of work even more unique (1974 to current).
Undersea Biomedical Research - UHMS has granted permission and these journal articles are online. More information can be found at Undersea Biomedical Research (1974 to 1992).
Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine - UHMS has granted permission and these journal articles are online. More information can be found at Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine (1993 to 2001).
Journal of Hyperbaric Medicine (Coming Soon) - UHMS has granted permission to add these previously un-indexed journal articles. More information can be found at Journal of Hyperbaric Medicine (1986 to 1992).
Unpublished Reports (Coming Soon) - This will be a collection of articles and baseline data that have been used internally by our collaborators but never used in formal published work. Check back, more on this to come.

We have been asked why we are doing this. More information can be found on our http://rubicon-foundation.org/archive.html page. Having trouble getting started, check out our http://rubicon-foundation.org/RRRfaq.html page.

UPDATE...

We added the 2002 UHM articles over the weekend.

The RRR is also now up to 3224 references now including more NEDU reports and some reports from Defence R&D Canada (DRDC - formerly DCIEM).

We also added the presentation Jim Caruso, MD (USN) gave to the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) to the Rubicon Research Repository (RRR) yesterday. This is a unique opportunity to learn.

*** Be aware that this presentation was intended for Clinical Pathologists. Some of the images my not be suitable for meals. :wink:

http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/
The Pathologist's Approach to SCUBA Diving Deaths.
Caruso, 2006
RRR ID: 3933 (enter this number in the search box)
If you need help getting started with the repository, please visit: http://rubicon-foundation.org/RRRfaq.html

For further information on "Diving Medical Literature", click the file to download a presentation on publicly accessible collections we prepared for our last board meeting. (http://rubicon-foundation.org/download/Dive_Med_Lit.pdf) This file will be updated periodically so please check back.

BTW, for anybody who is looking for really good answers for questions regarding diving physiology or decompression, this archive is a truly wonderful resource.

I get hit up for money for a lot of causes and I'm pretty picky about what I support, but I sent money to Gene. I think what Rubicon is doing is really laudable.

We finished adding most of the 2005 UHM articles.

Here are a few that you might enjoy! (There are others... this is just my top 10 of 2005)

A deep stop during decompression from 82 fsw (25 m) significantly reduces bubbles and fast tissue gas tensions. (Article)
Marroni et. al. 2005
RRR ID: 3804

Pulmonary effects of submerged oxygen breathing: 4-, 6-, and 8-hour dives at 140 kPa.
Shykoff 2005
RRR ID: 4031

Scuba diving with diabetes mellitus--the UK experience 1991-2001.
Edge et. al. 2005
RRR ID: 4036

The influence of drag on human locomotion in water.
Pendergast et. al. 2005
RRR ID: 4037

U.S. navy diver/aviator/skydiver with AGE from a previously unknown PFO.
Wyland and Krulak 2005
RRR ID: 4043

Decompression tables and dive-outcome data: graphical analysis.
Van Liew and Flynn 2005
RRR ID: 4050

A simple probabilistic model for standard air dives that is focused on total decompression time.
Van Liew and Flynn 2005
RRR ID: 4051

Direct ascent from air and N2-O2 saturation dives in humans: DCS risk and evidence of a threshold.
Van Liew and Flynn 2005
RRR ID: 4058

The relative safety of forward and reverse diving profiles.
McInnes et. al. 2005
RRR ID: 4059

Relationship between two different functions derived from diffusion-based decompression theory.
Ashida et. al. 2005
RRR ID: 4060

I sent the email below to our volunteers a few minutes ago. These folks work hard to help add content for all of us and I wanted to thank them publicly as well. I felt like I also needed to thank each of you here for your support and donations as well!

So...

Thank you!

Gene:
Team,

Sorry for the group email but it has been very busy here this month. The residents are all off in the OR now (my real job) and I will have the energy at night to focus more attention back to the Repository project.

I am sending this note today because we have hit a few noteworthy mile stones this month and I thought you should all know as it is your hard work that has made this possible.

-We reached 500 registered users. At the time of this email we have 576 so growth has been good this month.
-July also marks the fourth month with more than 1600 unique visitors (IP Addresses) and we should easily have more than 1800 this month alone.
-We are still maintaining a rate of greater than 40% of the visitors bookmarking the site. (now if we can just get more sites to link to us... <g>)
and the reason I am writing now:
-We have just finished adding our 4000th item with MUCH more sitting here ready to be added.

I have talked to a few of you but for those that have not heard, we will be receiving $US10,000.00 in support the end of this year from the US Office of Naval Research.

Again, thank you all for your time, patience and assistance and I look forward to continuing this valuable work with you all. The feedback we continue to receive from divers and researchers around the world is a direct result of your efforts.

Take care,
Gene

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom