Serious DIR question on ABS System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo:
OK,
I was under the impression that one of the DIR fundamentals was having your waist 'uncluttered' vs. a jacket BC, etc.

Doesn't adding the ABS Weight Pockets violate this 'rule' of adding bulk, drag, etc. to the waist harness area?

???

it's the the "training wheels".. I had them, didn't like them, sold them.

ScoobieDooo:
Uncle Pug,
So if one is signed up to take a DIR:F course do you need a Halcyon BP, wing, Jet fins, etc. to take the course?

I'm setting up my DIR rig for this week-end's class, and I don't have a single thing Halcyon.

FredT backplate/harness
Oxycheq wing
Turtle fins

Didn't realize till last night how stiff new harness webbing is ... should've soaked the stuff in fabric softener for a week or so ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FLL Diver:
I'm sure one some others will step in to elaborate, but according to this post JJ has written in his Doing it Right: Fundamentals book says:

"removable weight that allows divers to remove some of their weight (as opposed to all at once time) allows greater control over a bouyant ascent. This weighting may take the form of a removable canister used with a weight belt, or may utilize the Active Control Ballast System which allows divers to remove half of their ballast"

The question wasn't answered directly in that thread, but if it's in the book, is it OK?

Marc
I'm trying to find that in my proto-copy but since the page numbers don't correspond I haven't found it... so... if some one has the published book available and can tell me what section it is in or more of the surrounding quote perhaps I can locate it.

In my copy a weight belt and canister light are listed as the ditchable items.

VTernovski:
it's the the "training wheels".. I had them, didn't like them, sold them.

The Gaiters are.

Mix in Ankle weights, and you got a Duelly!

I have them (ACB), use them, love them.

I've also eBayed several to Koolaid drinkers for big bux... its amazing what people will pay for these...

K

PS: You got ABS on that Duelly? :D

Uncle Pug:
...if some one has the published book available and can tell me what section it is in or more of the surrounding quote perhaps I can locate it.
Chapter 6, in the "Cylinders" section. About four paragrpahs before "Choosing a cylinder"

There's a footnote 19 associated with it.

Roak

roakey:
There's a footnote 19 associated with it.

Roak

What's the footnote say?

Marc

well. the point is that many DIR folks eventually do the deep/cave dives where you need to have doubles, which automatically removes ACB out of the equiation.

Mo2vation:
The Gaiters are.

Mix in Ankle weights, and you got a Duelly!

I have them (ACB), use them, love them.

I've also eBayed several to Koolaid drinkers for big bux... its amazing what people will pay for these...

K

PS: You got ABS on that Duelly? :D

Although I agree that the ACB is not necessary, to end the confusion, it IS in the DIRf book that I have. I bought it in December 2003. The portion that speaks of the ACB is pg. 93, the entire first paragraph, as well as footnote #19.

FLL Diver:
What's the footnote say?
19) ACB(tm) allows divers to maintain control over weighting while removing part or all of the detachable weight. Divers that find themselves overweighted but with ample air supply might choose to drop half of their ballast, providing for a more controlled ascent. Similar results are possible where divers might choose to drop a light cannister.

Hey, you asked... :D

Also; I started out with homemade ACBs on my Halcyon in addition to my weight belt. I dropped the 10# of weight in them fairly quickly after DIR-f and haven't used them since. They were nice to hook the long hose under until I got my can light, though!

Jimmie

So then the ACB system is DIR.

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom