Serious DIR question on ABS System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike, to your original question... don't go buying anymore stuff until you talk with a GUE DIRf instructor about taking a class. In the mean time just use a weight belt.

Deleted because I'm dumb and I can't read.

Marc

Wendy:
His 2 posts say the same thing, just worded weird.

yes, they are consistent statements if you read them carefully.

Sounds like a good idea.

I'm not sure what they endorse or not...

ScoobieDooo:
OK,
I was under the impression that one of the DIR fundamentals was having your waist 'uncluttered' vs. a jacket BC, etc.

Doesn't adding the ABS Weight Pockets violate this 'rule' of adding bulk, drag, etc. to the waist harness area?

???

I'm sure one some others will step in to elaborate, but according to this post JJ has written in his Doing it Right: Fundamentals book says:

"removable weight that allows divers to remove some of their weight (as opposed to all at once time) allows greater control over a bouyant ascent. This weighting may take the form of a removable canister used with a weight belt, or may utilize the Active Control Ballast System which allows divers to remove half of their ballast"

The question wasn't answered directly in that thread, but if it's in the book, is it OK?

Marc

Uncle Pug,
So if one is signed up to take a DIR:F course do you need a Halcyon BP, wing, Jet fins, etc. to take the course?

ScoobieDooo:
Uncle Pug,
So if one is signed up to take a DIR:F course do you need a Halcyon BP, wing, Jet fins, etc. to take the course?

I'm not UP, but the answer is no on brand. You can use ANY brand that meets the criteria.

For example:

BP- Halcyon, FredT, or any other backplate
Wing-Halcyon, Oxychek, Diverite, OMS (no bungees)
Fins- any fin- (not split type)
regs: your choice
drysuit/wetsuit-your choice
mask-your choice
snorkel-leave it at home!!!

FLL Diver:
I'm sure one some others will step in to elaborate, but according to this post JJ has written in his Doing it Right: Fundamentals book says:

"removable weight that allows divers to remove some of their weight (as opposed to all at once time) allows greater control over a bouyant ascent. This weighting may take the form of a removable canister used with a weight belt, or may utilize the Active Control Ballast System which allows divers to remove half of their ballast"

The question wasn't answered directly in that thread, but if it's in the book, is it OK?

Marc

I found this quote ponderous compared with other input I have received as well...

JAG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom