Question Serial number prefixes on Pelagic Pressure Systems MH8A transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was your BM transmitter purchased from Shearwater? I assume that your yellow FK was.
Yes - I purchased the grey transmitter along with the Perdix AI from my SW dealer and it came in SW packaging (SW printed sleeve around the the zippered hard case) - same for the yellow transmitter purchased later.

My transmitter is quite old and was bought used so I have no idea which 'brand' it was.

Serial # is BM-108062 11/11

1655026144987.png

Last four digits look like a manufacture date, no? For the mismatch with the sticker on the refurbs, might just be that the etched date is the original and the one on the sticker is for the refurbished guts, or something similar.

Last four digits look like a manufacture date, no? For the mismatch with the sticker on the refurbs, might just be that the etched date is the original and the one on the sticker is for the refurbished guts, or something similar.
Agreed - I bought my Perdix AI and grey transmitter right after launch in Nov 2016 - so the last 4 digits of 0916 on the transmitter makes sense as Sept 2016 production to support the Nov 2016 launch.

For my yellow transmitter, I originally bought it in 2018 with my Teric - but they were recalled in Nov 2018 and I received my replacement transmitter marked as 0119 in Feb 2019 - so definitely looks like the last 4 digits are the manufacture date.

For Craig’s overstickered one, I suspect the printed/etched R suffix means it was remanufactured in 2019 and the oversticker reflects a subsequent FW or other update in 2020.

If that were the case, I would expect more separation between the two dates. With mine, there is only 3-4 months separation. That’s a short time frame to fit in a lot of steps. Manufacturing, shipping to dealer, purchase by customer, failure noted, return to Huish, refurbish by Huish.

If that were the case, I would expect more separation between the two dates. With mine, there is only 3-4 months separation. That’s a short time frame to fit in a lot of steps. Manufacturing, shipping to dealer, purchase by customer, failure noted, return to Huish, refurbish by Huish.
It’s unlikely that they send you back your returned transmitter when they give you a refurb - they likely have an inventory of refurbished units that they draw from and the one you sent back gets added to that stock once it’s refurbed.

It’s unlikely that they send you back your returned transmitter when they give you a refurb - they likely have an inventory of refurbished units that they draw from and the one you sent back gets added to that stock once it’s refurbed.
Yes, I know that. That’s precisely what they told me. My comment was regarding the date code on the case being original manufacturing date, and the date code on the label being when the transmitter was refurbished. I just can’t see all that happening between the 3-4 month difference on mine.

@jborg @Joneill @Belzelbub

Here is one of my original Oceanic transmitters, SN prefix BM, manufacture date 04/12, no manufacture date on sticker
1655054171561.png

Here is the replacement transmitter I just received, BM SN prefix. Manufacture date of 07/19, but with an R suffix. Manufacture or something date on over-sticker of 07/20 with an R prefix
1655054310027.png

I couldn't stand it and took the over-sticker off. Now the manufacture or something date on the sticker matches 07/19 with an R prefix
1655054561507.png

My initial transmitter purchase was in 2010, I have the serial number, but did not record the SN prefix or the manufacture date. I sent it for replacement in 2017. The 2017 transmitter was recently sent in exchange for the one pictured above. I have the SN for that transmitter also but did not record the SN prefix or the manufacture date. I am quite sure that the manufacture date had no R suffix or prefix. The sticker label was long gone.

So, what have I learned, not much. The R suffix or sticker prefix may represent refurbished transmitters. Who knows when they may have started this practice, i.e. not present on my 2017 replacement. Perhaps my current replacement was refurbished twice, 2019 and 2020?

Yes, @Joneill is correct, they make replacement with units that are already available. From Oceanic Service:
** Note: As the Full Service and Calibration processes for digital and analog instruments may take a number of weeks to complete, depending on our manufacturing department’s backlog, we typically replace returned units with similar instruments that have already undergone the Full Service and Calibration process. This allows us to turn a repair around in a matter of days, rather than weeks, while still insuring that the instrument is factory-new and completely within specification when it leaves our facility. Dive computer logs are erased.

Sorry, see that Brian has already responded to the last point

Yes, I know that. That’s precisely what they told me. My comment was regarding the date code on the case being original manufacturing date, and the date code on the label being when the transmitter was refurbished. I just can’t see all that happening between the 3-4 month difference on mine.
I’m thinking that they likely do the refurbs in batches and give them all a new outer shell with the R marked refurb date as @scubadada noted was present on his.

As he showed, the original sticker on his refurb matched the case, including an R designation ( I would have had to peel it off and check as well 😁). I’d bet the over sticker was for a later FW or other update that they went back and applied to the refurb inventory to bring them all up to latest manufacturing spec?

I would appreciate additional posts, especially if anyone has a Sherwood or Tusa branded transmitter.

Does anyone know the brand that used the FP serial number prefix?

So far, I have not been able to obtain additional information from Pelagic Pressure Systems or Aqua Lung. This is the reply I received from PPS:

Hi,
Thanks for the email . Based on the information you have provided it is likely that the inquiry is related to the PDC Transmitter identification and compatibility. As the scope of our support is limited to the Diverlog application, we recommend for you to contact your local authorized dealer for assistance in getting an answer to this inquiry.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards and stay safe,
Support Team

I have gotten no reply from Aqua Lung.
I too reached out to PPS to see if I could find out the branding of my FP serial numbered transmitter but did not get a response (yet). And, my email to Aqualung bounced back as undeliverable. I did pull that FP transmitter out of the sealed bag/packaging and put it on a reg and tank. Works great. Surprisingly it has a 10/18 manufacture date on it and the battery is still good. No low battery warnings from my Teric and I put it through some tests for a few hours of connected/transmitting time. I do have a spare ready to go just in case as it would not surprise me if the life of that battery is quite reduced given it's almost 4 years old.

Back
Top Bottom