Seoul-Incheon Direct to Kalibo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jigo:
they have tasty melon ice cream bars though.

Dude, those are so good. They used to have mango ones but they were discontinued for some reason.

Zeeman:
They are also happy to pull you out of their way just as you are about to take a shot - and are only too happy to give you a great view up their shorts...

i think i know when this happened...pygmy seahorse?

jigo:
:rofl3: no it wasnt you. this guy was in a baby blue suit not red

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Mike Veitch:
as long as they don't work there right? i remember a few of your rants about foreigners working in PI

:rofl2:

Hire the immigrant. It worked in America. :popcorn:

oh i dont know.

the businesses put up here that are not 100% filipino owned always have the money expatriated out of the country. so except for the taxes due to the gov't (which may or may not go entirely to the benefit of the entire Filipino people- but that's another story), nothing much is spent in the country...

rhadamantus:
oh i dont know.

the businesses put up here that are not 100% filipino owned always have the money expatriated out of the country. so except for the taxes due to the gov't (which may or may not go entirely to the benefit of the entire Filipino people- but that's another story), nothing much is spent in the country...

I think this is an accepted fallacy in the Philippines. It doesn't have to be Filipino owned to benefit the Philippines. It needs to employ people...hopefully the majority being Filipinos. Paychecks are the easiest way to collect taxes. When the other SE Asian countries began to boom in the 80s, (Thailand, Malaysia, Indodnesia) they opened the door to foreign investment with 5 year tax holidays. Yes, a lot of the money goes out as dividends to shareholders but the new jobs and money to spend in country by citizens was a huge boost, not to mention the income tax dollars. I love the Philippines but it amazes me how the government (or old landowners) shoot themselves in the foot with this protectionist, "the Philippines if for Filipinos" mentality. Unfortunately the present setup does give the country to Filipinos....but only a select few monetarily. If you're not born into land or money there, it's very hard to gain any ground.

Hank49:
I think this is an accepted fallacy in the Philippines. It doesn't have to be Filipino owned to benefit the Philippines. It needs to employ people...hopefully the majority being Filipinos. Paychecks are the easiest way to collect taxes. When the other SE Asian countries began to boom in the 80s, (Thailand, Malaysia, Indodnesia) they opened the door to foreign investment with 5 year tax holidays. Yes, a lot of the money goes out as dividends to shareholders but the new jobs and money to spend in country by citizens was a huge boost, not to mention the income tax dollars. I love the Philippines but it amazes me how the government (or old landowners) shoot themselves in the foot with this protectionist, "the Philippines if for Filipinos" mentality. Unfortunately the present setup does give the country to Filipinos....but only a select few monetarily. If you're not born into land or money there, it's very hard to gain any ground.

i dont think it is a fallacy. ive seen enough financial statements and did enough financial planning for multinationals to know what their priority is when it comes to cash management.

nothing wrong with it. business comes first, of course.

Business - Making money is number one / paying taxes, providing jobs, and consuming local goods is a great benefit - DON'T COMPLAIN
Americans in RP - Country bashing is not allowed - DON'T DO IT
Illegal Workers - bad news for everyone - DON'T HIRE THEM

Oh Mags, give me a ****ing break. So if a MNC plows money into your country in terms of investments, creating jobs, paying taxes, they don't have a right to repatriate most of their profits?... But I guess you've analyzed enough companies at the ripe age of 26... pfff

And try talking to the retirees in the PI, whether they be Americans, Japanese or Koreans who have moved their money INTO the philippines.

And don't get me started on rich filipinos taking their money out of the country.

Back
Top Bottom