sense / nonsense of CO monitoring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ummm. We exhale CO2. Cars exhale CO.
Have you checked it on a meter? Some of us get larger than others.

Ummm. We exhale CO2. Cars exhale CO.
OK, fine, we make CO, but as a neurotransmitter. The amount is so tiny as to be dismissed for the purposes of this conversation.

Have you checked it on a meter? Some of us get larger than others.
I'm thinking that the bulk of expired CO is from inspired CO. In a healthy human anyway. Are pregnant ladies considered healthy?

I'm thinking that the bulk of expired CO is from inspired CO. In a healthy human anyway. Are pregnant ladies considered healthy?
Sure, but I guess their blood is being used by more organs and stuff than others. I wonder if their oxygen levels ever dip because of it.

Obviously it's not completely irreversible otherwise we'd all be dead after a few months or years of living in a world with combustion engines. I'm sure it's really a case of your body eliminating CO is a very slow process.

the binding of a CO molecule to a hemoglobin molecule is (effectively) irreversible (modulo thermodynamic constraints), but the bound hemoglobin then gets replaced with fresh hemoglobin every 90 days

Do you have a source for that. Since we exhale a tiny fraction of CO with each breath it suggests that it is not irreversibly bound.

not meaning to be an ass but a google search on 'preferential binding hemoglobin carbon monoxide' gives you about a million and a half sources.

and I think you may be confusing CO with CO2, we exhale CO2 as part of the respiration pathway not CO

OK, fine, we make CO, but as a neurotransmitter.

20+ years in neuroscience, including 10 working on retrograde transmitters, and I didn't know that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom