Senior shore diving Bonaire help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are finding the entries on Bonaire a problem, is there a specific reason you're not looking at the alternatives? Like mostly diving off the resort docks and easier entry sites, or Curacao as suggested for generally easier entries. (Since it sounds like you want to avoid boats for some reason, which is an obvious solution and opens up lots of other options.)

My dive buddy and I (67 & 72 yrs) are returning to Bonaire early next year after doing shore diving there in 2013. We had quite a bit of difficulty entering/exiting last trip. We helped each other as best we could but carrying fins and/or camera didn't free up more than one hand to help.

Someone suggested our flexible soled boot were a detriment and hard soled boots would help.

I'm thinking of wearing a weight belt rather than use my integrated BCD pockets. Then I will use the tank w/BCD like a walker giving me three points ( each foot and the tank) touching the earth as I enter the water. Upon reaching knee high or higher water I'd put the tank/fins on. The weight of the tank and BCD would be off my back while entering but I'd still have to hold on to my fins. Does this sound reasonable? Does anyone have a better or different solution(other than going by boat)?

This has work for me, Jumbo Aluminum Hook Cheap enough that you aren't going to cry when they break (the spring holder will get into the habit of slipping out of place over time).

A couple of shore entries that are especially easy are Tori's reef (sand channel out), Yellow Sub (dock entry), the north end of Windsock (sand).

Thanks everyone for some great suggestions. Never thought about taking a fall with a weight belt on so I know I won't try that. And, I'll get hard soled boots. Also, I'll make a list of the suggested easier entry dive sites.

We are staying two weeks with dive friends that have rented a house on Bonaire for a month. Thus the reason for not going to another island with easier shore entries.

Definitely hard-soled boots and dock dives. And as others have said, some sites are easier than others. One I would add to the list is the Cliff at Dive friends Hamlet.

I really don't think the tank walker idea will work. The sites that are the most difficult to enter naturally have the more uneven footing. I can too easily see the tank landing on the edge of a rock or ledge and down you go. Though I do vaguely recall a post in a Bonaire thread where the couple was actually using walking sticks! Can't recall anything more specific about that post.
That was my post: Diving Canes-1.jpg My wife and I use them for all shore diving not from a dock. Highly recommended as a cane adds a third leg of stability. My wife's cane is collapsible aluminum, having a bungee cord down the middle, and is stored in a home-made nylon holster attached top and bottom to her BC. I started with the same, but switched recently to a non-collapsible stainless steel version that can bear a 500 lb load. My legs are unstable and I caught myself recently mid-fall in a manner that snapped off the handle (from which I infer that some canes are meant more for balance maintenance than stopping falls). Hence, an overall stronger product was desired. My cane is not collapsible and I must pass it to my wife after entering and she attaches it to my tank, underneath the velcro end of the tank strap and with a loop of bungee attached to the cane that goes around the lower end of the tank. Not as tidy as the holster and collapsible cane, but it works. The process is reversed upon return. Frankly, I think a cane can be considered a mandatory piece of shore diving equipment for many of us of a certain age and disability level.

That was my post: View attachment 189325 My wife and I use them for all shore diving not from a dock. Highly recommended as a cane adds a third leg of stability. My wife's cane is collapsible aluminum, having a bungee cord down the middle, and is stored in a home-made nylon holster attached top and bottom to her BC. I started with the same, but switched recently to a non-collapsible stainless steel version that can bear a 500 lb load. My legs are unstable and I caught myself recently mid-fall in a manner that snapped off the handle (from which I infer that some canes are meant more for balance maintenance than stopping falls). Hence, an overall stronger product was desired. My cane is not collapsible and I must pass it to my wife after entering and she attaches it to my tank, underneath the velcro end of the tank strap and with a loop of bungee attached to the cane that goes around the lower end of the tank. Not as tidy as the holster and collapsible cane, but it works. The process is reversed upon return. Frankly, I think a cane can be considered a mandatory piece of shore diving equipment for many of us of a certain age and disability level.

Yep, that's it. I could not remember if it was actual canes, hiking poles or something you had made. Genius. Would make an interesting ad for the Hurrycane! :D Not quit there yet myself but probably not too far away.

Last edited:
Yep, that's it. I could not remember if it was actual canes, hiking poles or something you had made. Genius. Would make an interesting ad for the Hurrycane! :D Not quit there yet myself but probably not too far away.
The proverbial straw that broke my proverbial back occurred when returning from a dive and losing my balance (because of neurological leg prob. that does not bother me when swimming), falling into 6 inches of water about a foot from shore and turning turtle. The wave action, though minor, was enough to keep me moving and I could not right myself. Ignominy. I was about to take off my tank and BCD when a guy who had been watching from the hood of his truck came down and lent me a hand. Thanks muchly to him! I decided then and there that enough was enough and proceeded to the cane solution. I urge everyone who has had even the vaguest thoughts of wishing more stability when entering/exiting to try a cane. Don't be shy. The canes also provoke some interesting conversation with onlookers!

I feel your pain! Although not quite as old as you I also struggle with many of the entries on Bonaire. We really like the diving both north and south of the resorts and have run in to some pretty tricky entries. My husband and I have a system where I get into the water first, geared up, with some assistance if needed from him. He brings me our cameras and then he puts on his tank and joins me. I wait for him in the water with both cameras. On the way out he gets out first, gets rid of his tank and comes back for the cameras. I agree that less weight is definitely easier. Although I have an integrated vest I sometimes put my weight on a belt. There have been times when it was really helpful for him to take my belt from me also. Yes, the entries and exits take longer but when on island time it really doesn't matter!

I also agree with others that as we age we need to accept more help to be comfortable and safe. Accepting help is hard at first but well worth it if you can still do the diving you want to do!

I would think that if you are struggling to get in the water, go for a dive and the wind and waves pick up while under, getting out if going to be a much bigger problem. Even though the West side of Bonaire looks like a pond much of the time, the weather can pick up and surprise you. One additional suggestion is to leave the cameras at home. As I get older, I have lowered my expectations for Bonaire and pretty much just boat dive or shore dive from sites that have steps like Buddys, Habitat, Pink Beach etc.

There is still a lot to see, enjoy and photograph and you won't be putting yourself and your older dive buddy at risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom