Senior shore diving Bonaire help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

............... One additional suggestion is to leave the cameras at home. ................
I have a small camera (Canon G15) in a small case with no external strobes. On entry or exit, I clip it to a chest D-ring and to a retractor attached to another D-ring at hip height. These attachments keeps the entirety nicely cinched against my chest. It is a no-hands procedure and virtually eliminates camera management problems at entries and exits.

I took 2 tumbles a month ago on my trip to Bonaire, but was very unstable most of the time during entry and exit. After I got back, I bought a compact aluminum monopod that I'll mount my GoPro to, to extend my camera. It's made from Aluminum and is sturdy enough to act as a steadying device. I'm hoping it'll be just the ticket to prevent any more issues getting in and out of the water next time I go.

Jim

Jim--let us know how it goes. Just be careful to pre-determine whether the monopod can accept your full weight plus tank and weights, if you are going to depend on it. A cane does work wonders as a third leg of a tripod for stabilization, but as happened to me when my foot once slipped on a loose, unseen rock, the stabilizing device may not bear up. In my case, the handle of my first cane broke off and was lost. Fortunately, I did not follow! But that is why I bought a stainless steel cane designed for overweight people, although I am not overweight.

Jim--let us know how it goes. Just be careful to pre-determine whether the monopod can accept your full weight plus tank and weights, if you are going to depend on it. A cane does work wonders as a third leg of a tripod for stabilization, but as happened to me when my foot once slipped on a loose, unseen rock, the stabilizing device may not bear up. In my case, the handle of my first cane broke off and was lost. Fortunately, I did not follow! But that is why I bought a stainless steel cane designed for overweight people, although I am not overweight.

Well, it's definitely not going to hold my entire weight. That would take a heavy solid oak walking stick (or a large steel I-Beam). It's a pretty sturdy aluminum monopod and it should provide the stability I will need for my next trip to Bonaire. I could use my very expensive Carbon Fiber monopod but don't want to risk anything happening to it. There's really no way to know until I go there next time. It's going to be another year before I can afford to make that trip again.

Jim

We have found that shore diving entries can be improved by several actions:
1) both divers enter the water at the same time
2) both divers turn with their sides toward the oncoming waves-this gives a narrower profile and less mass for the waves to push you
3)each diver holds the other diver's BCD at the shoulder straps-this essentially makes you a 4 legged duo-diver
4) both shuffle out together sideways until chest deep or beyond wave breakers
5)quickly break apart and surface swim or descend

you can do the same thing-only opposite on the return.

Vann Evans
A4 Sand Dollar
Kralendijk Vacation Rental - VRBO 277614 - 0 BR Bonaire Condo, Ocean-Front, Bari Reef Studio (A4) with Gorgeous View

We have found that shore diving entries can be improved by several actions:
1) both divers enter the water at the same time
2) both divers turn with their sides toward the oncoming waves-this gives a narrower profile and less mass for the waves to push you
3)each diver holds the other diver's BCD at the shoulder straps-this essentially makes you a 4 legged duo-diver
4) both shuffle out together sideways until chest deep or beyond wave breakers
5)quickly break apart and surface swim or descend

you can do the same thing-only opposite on the return.

Vann Evans
A4 Sand Dollar
Kralendijk Vacation Rental - VRBO 277614 - 0 BR Bonaire Condo, Ocean-Front, Bari Reef Studio (A4) with Gorgeous View

Only thing I would add is, if it is particularly difficult, try having only one diver move at a time. Slower but even more stable.

My dive buddy and I (67 & 72 yrs) are returning to Bonaire early next year after doing shore diving there in 2013. We had quite a bit of difficulty entering/exiting last trip. We helped each other as best we could but carrying fins and/or camera didn't free up more than one hand to help.

. . .

Does anyone have a better or different solution(other than going by boat)?

My best suggestion would be to stay at or near Buddy Dive.

The reef behind the resort is a fantastic and is an easy sand/gravel beach shore dive and you could dive it all week and never get bored.

Other than that, take a boat.

I'm only in my late 50's and can't do most of the shore dives anymore, for fear of whacking some of my crunchy or squishy parts between giant boulders and a very hard high pressure cylinder.

flots

Curacao ? Shore entries are almost all over nice sandy beaches with little/no swell or waves

Having been to both islands, this is a great suggestion.

The cane idea is what I'll try. I'll probably buy the collapsible type. Thanks for the post.

Sorry to jump in so late. My wife and I have been diving in Bonaire for more than 10 years and are also about the same age as you are. I have had problems from the beginning with a deformed ankle (twisted 45 degrees from flat) and a bad knee. I had to find a solution early and turned to hiking poles, like the Rambler stick from LLBean:
231290_888_41

to which I attach stainless hooks top and bottom with nylon loops. I then use the hooks to connect the stick to my BC D-Rings while in the water. While I am fairly certain it will not support my full weight in a hard fall, it has served me very well through about 300 dives. The aluminum stick lasts about 2 years due to salt water corrosion and I always travel with two, in case one gets broken on a dive. Hopefully, this approach will keep us diving in Bonaire for several more years.

I did Bpnaire back in June for the first time. I'm 67 as well. However, most of my dives were boat dives which made things much easier. Shore dives at Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn were no problem since their pier has a ladder at the end that made entry and exit easy. On the only shore dive I did elsewhere (Salt City at night), I stumbled several times and ended up scratching the LCD port on my housing. Boat dives did add to the cost of the trip, but I felt they were well worth it (especially being able to get out to Klein Bonaire).

Back
Top Bottom