Semi-Permanent Mascara

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok - here are my thoughts ... I will NEVER use this stuff again! I am fair skinned and blonde, which translates to fine hair on my head, brows and lashes. When they applied the Crybaby my eyelashes clumped into spikes - seriously, I think I had about 4 spikes of thick, crusty black lashes on each top eyelid. I couldn't wait to get home to get the stuff off - I even called while on vacation to see if there was a way to get it off by myself (other than pick at it the answer is "no"). I ended up picking at it anyway and pulled out about 6 eyelashes (which I really can't afford). I do use Latisse and have had a huge improvement on length and a smaller (but nice) improvement in fullness. Latisse does not color the lashes so I still have to put something on my blonde lashes or they're simply invisible. We got back from vacation last night and I managed to pick off what was left of the Crybaby as I sat and watched tv (it became an obsession!). I was SO happy to put on normal mascara this morning!

So ... that said ... if you have thick (as opposed to fine) lashes, which might make it easier to apply this goop and keep the eyelashes separated, then this might be a good idea (then again, if you do, then you probably don't need it!). I generally manage to keep my mask from flooding (except when I let in a little water intentionally to clear my mask if it fogs) - so my makeup doesn't get too terribly goofed up.

I used the "Amazing" concealer (Amazing Cosmetics - got it at Ulta) and as long as I applied correctly and didn't mess with my eyes it was pretty good. VERY pigmented so a teeny bit goes a long way.

Hope this was helpful. I always recommend the Latisse - got my sister a bottle for her birthday last year and now she's an addict like me. :)

Kimela

---------- Post Merged at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:46 AM ----------

I'm sorry, but just don't understand the need to put on any make up while engaged in a sport, let alone scuba.

It just gets in my way!
:kiss2:

I know it's stupid and vain to be so concerned about my appearance. My experience is that women who have naturally dark hair, eyebrows and lashes don't understand my concern. Blondes usually have a better understanding. I could skip shaving my legs for a month and the only way anyone would notice my leg hair is if they saw the sun reflecting off of it! No kidding! Any dark haired women wanna choose not to shave your legs for a month of diving? Or even two weeks? How about stop plucking eyebrows (I have never had the luxury of needing to)? Waxing that upper lip? I can't speak for all blondes, but I just want to have something visible around the perimeter of my hazel irises and black pupils, other than unadorned (fair) skin. :)

I generally manage to keep my mask from flooding (except when I let in a little water intentionally to clear my mask if it fogs) - so my makeup doesn't get too terribly goofed up.

There's a remedy for that too. Use a good defog and you won't need to let any water into your mask. I use SeaVision USA and it is the best defog I have ever used. They say that it cleans as it clears, so you don't get build-up. Your mask stays clean and clear for several dives.

There's a remedy for that too. Use a good defog and you won't need to let any water into your mask. I use SeaVision USA and it is the best defog I have ever used. They say that it cleans as it clears, so you don't get build-up. Your mask stays clean and clear for several dives.

Is this a spray and rinse or one that you put on dry, buff it and keep it there?

We use SeaGold defog. It's a gel that you rub in and rinse off. No fogging problems here, either (even in 50 degree F water). A little bit goes a long way. The only tricky thing is that you have to apply and rinse it off within a few minutes of your dive. I usually do it just before strapping on my scuba unit.

My instructor also taught us to never, ever leave your mask up on your forehead. That causes a lot of fogging when you get below the surface. Leave it around your neck or on your face.

I don't bother with makeup while diving either. It's just messy. I guess I can understand why you might, though.

I'm sorry, but just don't understand the need to put on any make up while engaged in a sport, let alone scuba.

It just gets in my way!
:kiss2:

I am guessing that there is not a sport out there in which its participants carry cameras more often than in scuba diving :)

I am guessing that there is not a sport out there in which its participants carry cameras more often than in scuba diving :)

:rofl3: But as we discussed on another thread, compression has the very nice advantage of making you look thinner underwater. So there's that at least!

Is this a spray and rinse or one that you put on dry, buff it and keep it there?

It's a spray. It can be used on a dry or wet mask, unlike most others. Just one drop or so, rub it around and you can rinse or not, your preference. I personally don't ever rinse it, but most probably do. You can apply it any time, no minimum or maximum. It lasts for repetitive dives.

Nimoh, you hit the nail on the head for me, anyway. People are always taking pics before, during and after diving. Especially in the age of social media, gotta look presentable...

Latisse seems a bit extreme to get full lashes after reading that link. Im so clumsy so would get it in my eyes and cause all sorts of problems! Also i cant imagine its easy to get a prescription for it, i know my doctor would laugh at me if i asked for one!

Cat your dr won't laugh at u!!!! However u do need an eye exam first to make sure u don't have any conditions that would rule it out. So, on your next eye exam, have the dr write you a Rx, if u want it.

Ok, here is the flat out truth: the only makeup I wear, when I do, is mascara, so I bought Latisse. I'm also at that age where my lashes aren't as lush as they once were. Their stupid brush system uses waaaaaaay more liquid than u need, so they have a great way to get u back for more product=sales=more bonus $ in their pocket, not yours. I bought a very fine paint brush at my local craft store and put a teeeeeeny drop on it. I also only apply it every third day. And, I know some of u will not like this admission, when I go to Mexico, I visit the pharmacy and buy Lumigan. Same product, $75/ bottle cheaper, and it's the real deal. So, using according to the directions, naaaaa, follow my tip and u won't be purchasing as much and still have the result u want!!! And btw, it works so good, I have to cut one or two lashes occasionally!!

Last edited:
kimbalala, have you tried just having your eyelashes and brows dyed? Or are your lashes too scimpy to make that worthwhile? One of my dive buddies actually uses the individual stick on lashes, and somehow or other manages to keep them on throughout a dive week. I've done the dying and am thinking of trying the individual lashes. As a blonde, I completely understand where you are coming from. Particularly liked the comment about dark haired gals not shaving their legs for a month. ahahahaha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom