Semi-dry Suit for Puget Sound Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's the one I saw on the weekend. Poor guy just about froze to death on a 35 min 90' dive in the PNW. 8 C water.

Though question: was it a good fit for him ... like not an long vs short option type thing ... in otherwords did he try on several variations before being certain it was a proper fit?

Did look to be a good fit. I think that a single layer of 7 mil just isn't enough in that kind of temperature at that depth. I think I would want some kind of core protection as well. I dive dry, but back in the day, two layers of 3/8" was normal. 1 farmer john and 1 shorty with long sleeves. I think that translates to 2 layers of 7 mil. Was still cool at depth but not excessivly so and I am not particularly subject to cold.

How about this new O'Neil 12mm core called J-Type. I heard directly from a key purchasing agent at huge franchise dive store in so cal yesterday, and he swears by the acceptance of these new merged layer wetsuits for local water temperatures.

12MM CORE/7MM 7000X J-TYPE FSW

Product Series
COLD

Temperature
Cold

Description
The J-Type combines the ease of entry/exit and the 12mm core insulation of a two-piece system, with the minimal bulk, seal, and convenience of a one-piece hooded full suit. O'Neill's Exclusive Firewall Torso Envelope and Stitchless Double Fluid Seam Weld Construction, the J-Type has set a new standard in Dive suits.

1529_lg.jpg

I should add I've never been an O'Neill fan...

It's basically a 5 mil vest with a 7 mil jumpsuit? I've been reading about the Pinnacle Extreme 8/6, and it's supposed to be really warm. In fact, too warm for quarry diving in the summer. I've been looking into a semi-dry, possibly a Polar or Arctic. I talked to a guy in Jersey that has dove an Extreme and he had no problem on Atlantic wreck dives, staying toasty. Ssince I can't afford a drysuit and there doesn't seem to be enough fat guys selling them....

I think I would want to talk to someone who has actually been diving in the water you want to dive in using that particular suit before buying. However, I think you are starting to be closer to comfortable than the initial 7 mil you were looking at.

PS fit is the most important criteria when choosing a wetsuit - the less water inside, and the less water interchange the better, no matter what the thickness.

scubak:
I have to agree with Doc...hold out for a drysuit.
Temps vary here by just a few degrees and I wear a weezle undergarment, dry gloves, argon, fleece and a CF 200...YES!!! I get cold in the winter and minimize in the summer.
But DRY is the way to go.
Kirsten

I agree with these guys. Dry is the only way to go. While you're saving your money, there are other options. Go to a LDS and see if they'll sell you a used wetsuit or one out of their rental dept. Check to see if they have used drysuits as well. It's kind of pricey to spend $200-$400 dollars on something that's not going to keep you warm and eventualy you'll have to replace.

A semi-dry suit is warmer than a regular wet suit but more spendy as well. But a couple of things to think about are....both suits are still wet no matter what they're called, both suits compress with increasing pressure making them colder at depth, and both will always be colder than a dry suit.

my vote is on a real drysuit. particularly at this time of year.

DiverBuoy:
I just tried this on tonight, I actually liked it a lot, may grab one.

PINNACLE AQUATICS Polar 7mm Semi-Dry

200504_chill_150c.jpg
PINNACLE AQUATICS Polar 7mm Semi-DryThe Pinnacle Polar is a true semi-dry suit that's all good. Entry is made easy with a horizontal front zip, ankle zips and the patented Merino soft lining. There are also double ankle cuffs that allow the wearer to roll one like a dry suit while the other is zipped down over your boot. Long internal forearm gaskets and wrist seals keep water out as does the horizontal front zip, which is defended by a skin-to-skin seal and backed by a unique neoprene dam built into the pull-down hood and shoulders. The suit is primarily 7mm titanium neoprene with 5mm panels in the extremities for flexibility. Seams are glued and blindstitched with internal seam ends taped. A 10mm spine and kidney pad add comfort while heavy-duty rubber knee and shoulder pads protect the exterior. Flex panels in the arms and behind the knees increase your range of movement, and the vented hood has a skin-in seal that can be easily trimmed. The attention to detail and comfort of this semi-dry made it a natural for our Testers' Choice list.

I have the Extreme, it is 8/6 and the zipper is a dry suit zipper. I have dove with in water in the 40's and was nice and toasty. I bought it because I can't afford a dry suit right now. I strongly endorse the suit, it's great.

JR

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom