Self Servicing Your Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2OBubbles: Oh, and I was the one that posted "if you have to ask, the answer is no" (regarding whether to self-service your regs). That was meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment. When I re-read my post, I realized that statement might very easily be taken the wrong way, and I'm sorry if that sounded offensive.

Good luck!

No problems. I am not sure that I want to do it, just wanted to get some information on what is involved. I am sure that for many people the answer should be "if you have to ask, the answer is no"... but then again that is how all of the techs must have started.

I do enjoy working on things and just wanted some information. Thanks to those that have provided actual input. And to all the nay-sayers.... :mooner: :D

OK, all you torque wrench advocates: when was the last time you had your torque wrench calibrated?

I spent 36 years in the USAF, 12 of which was in the shop that was responsible for calibrating the torque wrenches for the whole base. I wish I had a nickel for every torque wrench I've calibrated--from 1/4" 5-15 in-lb teenies to 3/4" 2000+ ft-lb monsters. They all vary widely in their accuracy. Some are spot on; some are not even in the same ballpark as the standard.

In calibrating so many torque wrenches, I developed a "calibrated elbow" and now have the ability to tighten regs to specs without using a torque wrench. Which is better? Using an uncalibrated wrench or the calibrated elbow? For the liability argument: can you show proof that your torque wrench was recently calibrated by a means traceable to the national standard?

For those who use torque wrenches--do you account for the length of the spanner wrench adapter you're using on certain first stages when you torque the parts? How about the crow's foot? Do you jerk torque the item or do you apply torque smoothly? Which way are you supposed to do it?

Go to Costco someday and watch their tire changers "torquing" the lug nuts on the cars they're servicing. They set the wrench to one torque (it's the breakaway type), keep it there forever (a serious no-no), slam the wrench on the lug nut and bounce on the wrench with their body weight (jerk-torquing) until it clicks, then throw the wrench on the floor when they're done (another serious no-no). Can you honestly tell me that that technique is better than careful non-torque wrench tightening??

Lotsa questions, lotsa answers. Bottom line: a good mechanic who knows the difference between under- and over-torquing fastners can do as good a job torquing without a wrench as an average mechanic who has a torque wrench.

I'm not arguing against using torque wrenches. I'm merely stating that regulators can be safely rebuilt by a good technician who knows torque limits even if he has no torque wrench at his disposal.

At least twice per year since you ask. I also have acess to a torque machine.

If you don't put your life in YOUR own hands by servicing your own equipment then you are placing it in a strangers who might know less than you. Do you guys actually think 95% of the people working on dive equipment are actually trained--by who, what rating, where, how long, who or what agency regulates such training??

N

I am independent instructor without access to manufacturers rental pricing and limited number of shops willing to sell me service parts. I have had to streamline my choice of brands I use to teach with.
I have never owned a new reg in the nearly 30 years I've been a diver. My own personal regulators are usually put together from parts out of that box underneath the bottom shelf of the local shop's repair bench....that 1st stage that got a bent yoke when the tank fell over because it wasn't bungied properly, or the 2nd stage that the tech couldn't stop the freeflow because the spring was worn out.
Over the years I have attended as many manufacturers repair seminars as possible both given by a rep at the local shops and at DEMA.
The regulators that I use for teaching have to be from a manufacturer that I can get parts for, reliable and quick and easy to service. It's also a big help if they all use the same service parts.
My student regulators are all Conshelf/Titan/SEA or MR12's. They all use the same 1st stage parts and have simple unbalanced 2 nd's. I don't like balanced 2nd stages for students because of their tendency to freeflow like mad on the surface when the venturi is in the plus position.
For me the USD/AquaLung/Mares works well as I have access to parts, they are bullet proof regs that usually a bargain on the second hand market.

... to all the nay-sayers.... :mooner:..

Well said....

I don't know if you have had a chance to review any online manuals. Here is a link to a Dive Rite first stage regulator service manual that you can download. It is pretty much step by step with pictures etc. Have a look at it and get back to us with your impression.

http://www.divesafety.net/files/1208_1st.pdf

Good luck I look forward to your update,

couv

I've been watching this thread for a while now.

I was in a dive shop the other day and mentioned that I serviced my own regulators. The man behind the counter immediately said "Can I buy a life insurance policy on you?" I told him that I had no problem with that and chose not to take offense at his remark.

I know a mechanical engineer who could not change a watch battery if his life depended on it. I know a fellow who simply could not get through high school and I would trust him to work on any vehicle I own. I do not doubt that given a manual and the proper parts and tools, he would do an outstanding job overhauling a regulator.

My opinions on the subject:

It's been called "mechanical aptitude". Some people have it and some don't. I was taught to service oxygen system components when I was going to school for my A&P license (federal license to work on airplanes). Working on scuba regulators turned out to be second nature for me. I didn't have to be told about durometers of "O" rings, the proper use of specialty tools, cleaning, or to look carefully at the parts you take out. The old parts can tell you a lot about what has been going on inside the regulator.

If the idea of rebuilding your lawn mower engine makes you uncomfortable, then you probably shouldn't be working on your life support equipment, regardless of how many manuals and special tools you have. On the other hand, it's your gear, you bought it, and as far as I'm concerned you can do with it as you please.

Download a manual for your regulator and read through it. Consider the things it doesn't tell you (looking at wear and damage on old parts, checking for cracks or scoring in the regulator body, looking for marks on "O" ring sealing surfaces, things like that). If you are mechanically inclined, take your time, don't drink beer while doing the job, and are willing to be meticulously clean, then you can probably do a first class job overhauling a regulator. There is nothing secret or magical about it, but be honest when assessing your mechanical abilities and willingness to be thorough.

Bill.

People who have overhauled their lawnmower might be good candidates for self regulator repair but often people have undiscovered latent talents. However, it is an observation of mine that some over rate their skills in that regard (mechanical abilities). I cannot play a piano, no amount of training would make me anything more than non passable. Mechanical skills are much the same, not everybody has them. A good self introspection might be in order, that said, these things are very, VERY simple devices.

The main impediment to home reg repair is getting parts.

N, A&P

People who have overhauled their lawnmower might be good candidates for self regulator repair but often people have undiscovered latent talents. However, it is an observation of mine that some over rate their skills in that regard (mechanical abilities). I cannot play a piano, no amount of training would make me anything more than non passable. Mechanical skills are much the same, not everybody has them. A good self introspection might be in order, that said, these things are very, VERY simple devices.

The main impediment to home reg repair is getting parts.

N, A&P

Very well said! I agree entirely.
Regs are simple, but some folks should just take them to a pro.

Nemrod, I always get a smile from your screen name. My very first set of new gear was all Nemrod. That was MANY years ago. Moving up from a single stage Healthways dual hose regulator to single hose Nemrod with adjustible second stage was nothing short of magical. The adjustment really wasn't, as it just put pressure on the second stage diaphram, but it was so much better than the old Healthways gag and choke, that it was hard to believe they were both designed to do the same thing.

Bill.

Back
Top Bottom