Self Cleaning Cat Box

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It works great! (sort-of) :D

My sister tried it. The process takes several weeks and goes like this:

1. Put litter box in the bathroom, next to the toilet
  2. Each day, put another newspaper under the litter box, until it's as high as the toilet. (This trains the cat to jump up.)
  3. Put the litter box on top of the toilet
  4. Remove the lid
  5. Remove the litter box, cover the toilet seat with plastic-wrap and fill with litter
  6. Finally, remove the plastic-wrap and litter, and you have a cat that's trained to use the toilet.
It works perfectly until step 7, which is "Cat falls into the toilet, and spends the next several days wandering the house making horrible noises, afraid to pee or poop, and refusing to use any kind of litter box."

Terry

I've been training mine to use the toilet but with a bowl in the toilet with litter. Doesn't the cat fall in through the plastic wrap?

I've been training mine to use the toilet but with a bowl in the toilet with litter. Doesn't the cat fall in through the plastic wrap?

I wasn't there, but she said she used plastic wrap. I guess it worked ok until the cat fell in.

Terry

It works great! (sort-of) :D

My sister tried it. The process takes several weeks and goes like this:

1. Put litter box in the bathroom, next to the toilet
  2. Each day, put another newspaper under the litter box, until it's as high as the toilet. (This trains the cat to jump up.)
  3. Put the litter box on top of the toilet
  4. Remove the lid
  5. Remove the litter box, cover the toilet seat with plastic-wrap and fill with litter
  6. Finally, remove the plastic-wrap and litter, and you have a cat that's trained to use the toilet.
It works perfectly until step 7, which is "Cat falls into the toilet, and spends the next several days wandering the house making horrible noises, afraid to pee or poop, and refusing to use any kind of litter box."

Terry

if we could only teach the cat to flush afterwards...

I've thought about trying this, but haven't. my cat isn't afraid of the toliet. he liked to play in it now... if he can't flush it, then he's essentially playing in the same spot he used the bathroom in is my concern.

he's gotten where he goes to the bathroom outside most of the time so the litter box isn't that bad. as for litter, we switched from Tidy Cat ($4.69/bag) to the Publix brand (about $2.50/bag) a while ago. it works great. just a little more dust when filling it up.

I have the littermaid box and no problems so far. It has a sensor so it won't go on while it's being used. Of course I've used it since I got my cats so they don't know better. If I could only get them to change out the waste receptacle when it's full. :D

The one thing I don't like about it is the noise when it goes on. :( But it doesn't bother the cats and if they have to go and it's cleaning itself they wait a few seconds and hop in. If my cats really didn't like it they would let me know. :11:

I use one for my two cats and its a lgreat little device. The ir sensor makes sure there is no cat in the box before it cleans up, and you can set how long to wait after the cat leaves. we introduced it to them about 3 years ago and no problems. These cats are old too, ones 15 and the other is 18.

We had 2 cats and we used the Litter Robot. I wouldn't allow the 2 cats any other way.
It is bulky and loud but it did the job well... no smells!
You do have to be on top of it, meaning don't let the poop receptacle get too full
or you'll have serious clean up duty.
It never misfired while the cats were inside, it has a sensor that won't allow it to do so.
I highly recommend it, but do stay on top of it.

Wys.

I taught my cat to use the toilet using this: CitiKitty - Complete Cat Toilet Training Kit, and this is a video my wife took of him once the training was complete:

YouTube - Cat taking a dump!

All in all, it took about 5 months to train him, but I took my time and didn't rush him through the stages. Now he's about 20lbs (Maine Coon) and I'm glad I don't have to clean up the human-sized poop that comes out of him.

And no, he doesn't flush.....

We had a cat growing up that just started using the toilet on his own...Too bad the ones I have now aren't that smart :sigh:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom