Selecting a suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

z28badgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Well, my fiance and I have been checking out suits and each store we go to gives us different info, so I was wondering if anyone knows the 'truth'.

First, I was taught that your suit will compress and the more it compresses, the less protection from the cold it provides. But that's all we were really told. So we went shopping, and a dive shop we went to this weekend was explaining the difference in suits. They told us the less expensive ones are 'chemically-blown' and with these type of suits, the bubbles in them compress more. Then they said there are 'nitrogen-blown' suits which won't compress, therefore keeping you warmer and not affecting your boyancy. Then there are the hyperstretch suits, which they said will compress some, but because of the stretchability, they tend to not keep you quite as warm. So, what does everyone think? Is this just BS and a way to get us to buy the higher priced suits? Or is this info legit? We have no problem spending the cash...we want good stuff...but we don't want to waste our money on BS lies either.

Can anyone recommend a good suit? I don't remember the brand I wore during my certification, but it fit well. I can find out from the dive shop. This weekend, I tried on a Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch, and it fit great. But I'm sorta thinking I'd rather have the 'nitrogen-blown' suit if it truely won't compress and compromise my comfort temperature-wise. I say this b/c I get cold fairly easy.

Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

All suits will compress. I don't think there's a noticeable difference in compression rates, though (I could be wrong on this). I read somewhere that you lose most of your insulation by the time you hit 3 ata (66fsw). So if you get cold easy, it's better to stay shallow.

The primary advantage of Hyperstretch is a comfort thing though. It's really nice in a 7mm, but probably a waste of money in a 3mm. I've also been told they wear out easier, and have issues with velcro touching them.

If you are particularly worried about cold though, add in a beanie or a hood. The addition of head insulation makes a huge difference in your warmth. It won't change the suit you need for the water temp, but it will change how you feel at the end of the dive.

As far as brands go, it's irrelevant. Get a suit that fits you properly, and don't worry about the name on the outside. Once you buy a few suits, you'll know what brands are good for you. It's a fit thing. For me, I stick to O'Neill, but that's because they cut them to fit me the best.

'Nitrogen-blown' suits compress just as much as regular ones. Remember, air is 79% nitrogen.

I hear the Hyperstretch suits, because they're so flexible, also compress a bit more and don't last quite as long as some other suits. More air and less actual neoprene in them, or something like that.

Forget all the hype, and the nitrogen-blowing, and the reflective Titanium barriers and all that trash. Buy the suit that fits you best and offers you the thickness you need.

z28badgirl:
Well, my fiance and I have been checking out suits and each store we go to gives us different info, so I was wondering if anyone knows the 'truth'.

First, I was taught that your suit will compress and the more it compresses, the less protection from the cold it provides. But that's all we were really told. So we went shopping, and a dive shop we went to this weekend was explaining the difference in suits. They told us the less expensive ones are 'chemically-blown' and with these type of suits, the bubbles in them compress more. Then they said there are 'nitrogen-blown' suits which won't compress, therefore keeping you warmer and not affecting your boyancy. Then there are the hyperstretch suits, which they said will compress some, but because of the stretchability, they tend to not keep you quite as warm. So, what does everyone think? Is this just BS and a way to get us to buy the higher priced suits? Or is this info legit? We have no problem spending the cash...we want good stuff...but we don't want to waste our money on BS lies either.

Can anyone recommend a good suit? I don't remember the brand I wore during my certification, but it fit well. I can find out from the dive shop. This weekend, I tried on a Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch, and it fit great. But I'm sorta thinking I'd rather have the 'nitrogen-blown' suit if it truely won't compress and compromise my comfort temperature-wise. I say this b/c I get cold fairly easy.

There are a few internet sites that describe the truly-good nitrogen blown neoprene. I think it is divewear or something like that. I believe this compresses slightly less but don't know for sure. (I have one of their hoods and it is better than anything else out there. But, you would expect that from a $100+ custom hood.) You can read up on the neoprene types at this site. The main advantage of nitrogen blown is that the cheaper neoprene tends to get permanently crushed and never recover after a very few number of dives (particularly on deeper dives).

Hyperstretch suits are more comfortable, particuarly when you are just trying suits on the the store, but do offer a little less thermal protection. I am prone to getting cold but use a hyperstretch for tropical diving anyway due to the slightly greater ease of getting in and out of the suit. In keeping with the same product line for comparison, if you get cold easily and don't want to use a hood, Henderson's gold core suits are warmer, cheaper and last longer.

Unfortunately, most dive shop monkeys can only repeat the marketing language of the products they sell. However, with wetsuits you do generally get what you pay for in terms of neoprene quality.

jonnythan:
I hear the Hyperstretch suits, because they're so flexible, also compress a bit more and don't last quite as long as some other suits.
I would guess that Hyperstretch suits don't tend to be as warm, not becasue they compress more, but because they're stretched more at the very beginning when they're put on. That "give" has to come from somewhere -- and that somewhere would be from the suit's thickness, even before it starts getting compressed by depth.

Gas in the Hyperstretch neoprene bubbles would compress pretty much at the same rate as any other suit's bubbles. No?

On the other hand, I can easily see how the stretchiness would reduce the ability to take abuse.

--Marek

Marek K:
I would guess that Hyperstretch suits don't tend to be as warm, not becasue they compress more, but because they're stretched more at the very beginning when they're put on. That "give" has to come from somewhere -- and that somewhere would be from the suit's thickness, even before it starts getting compressed by depth.

Gas in the Hyperstretch neoprene bubbles would compress pretty much at the same rate as any other suit's bubbles. No?

On the other hand, I can easily see how the stretchiness would reduce the ability to take abuse.

--Marek
My understanding, and this makes intuitive sense to me, is that there is more air and less neoprene in the material itself. This makes the material weaker, more compressible, and not as durable. There is more stretch to the material because there's less actual rubber to stretch.

i had a hyperstretch...it definitely got much colder as it got older...i know all suits do this, but this was only 15 months old...the fit is incredible though...

mossym:
i had a hyperstretch...it definitely got much colder as it got older...i know all suits do this, but this was only 15 months old...the fit is incredible though...

Are you talking about a 3mm or a 7mm. A 7mm hyperstretch is a bad idea and would probably get crushed pretty fast.

7mm..cold monterey water...and not sure i'd say it's a bad idea...best fitting wetsuit i tried, and was very warm to start..

the downside to the excellent fit may be a shorter life span..but hey, nothing is perfect..

z28badgirl:

First Hyperstretch, there is no such thing as a free lunch. I do not nor have owned one. There are consistent postings of rapid warmth loss, velcro attacks and overall short life. If you fit into one such that is very stetched (claims to 250%) it's obviously getting thinnner before you even get wet. The properties that allow for stretch would seem to also make the suit vulnerable to compression and loss of insulating capability at lesser depths. You will hear from divers that love them with the most common claim being comfort and easy donning. If those are the top priorities then so be it.

There are some claims of higher density neoprene, Rubitex also shows up as premium maker of material and there are variations as you mentioned of gas content. I have also heard of clay fillers being used as opposed to pure base material. These details are very hard for the consumer to get hard facts on a brand by brand basis.

So what is important? Fit, seals and thickness in my opinion.

The suit must fit you closely and some light compression is a good thing. Make sure it's comfortable in the chest and will not interfere with your breathing. Your arms should have full range of motion and you should be able to bend over. Getting into it should not be a circus act though if it's your first time it may take some practice. Start by getting your legs in up to your knees and get that just right and roll your way up. You will be wet in a wetsuit but water volume should be minimal as close to a film as possible.

You want internal rubber surface seals in the calf and forearm area as well as a smooth surfaced collar that you can adjust with velcro. These will help keep water from flushing in and out of the suit.

Lastly is thickness of material 7mm is the thickest common material and suits can be configured to provide 2 layers on your core. I prefer a fullsuit (like a jumpsuit) with a hooded step-in vest. The farmer John/Jane and jacket are the other common option.
You might look at the Bare Arctic items either the SGS of basic. You can mix and match items depending on conditions.

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/divedept.asp?dept_id=230

Have fun
Pete

Back
Top Bottom