Selecting a suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus:
Get a suit that fits you properly, and don't worry about the name on the outside. Once you buy a few suits, you'll know what brands are good for you. It's a fit thing. For me, I stick to O'Neill, but that's because they cut them to fit me the best.
I think comfort is the most important thing. I love my o'neill 3mm. Paid $100 at diver direct. 76 degree water, it was perfect for me. Diving in water warmer than 80 degrees it's almost too warm! Springs at 72 degrees, I was warm for about 45 minutes. I'm considering a shorty for added warmth when diving cooler water. Just bought one of those lycra suits for diving the warmer water (above 80 degrees) but haven't used it yet. (that'll be this weekend in Venice) I can also wear it under my 3mm for added warmth, I'm told. Should make it a bit easier to don the neoprene as well.....

What temperatature water will you dive in?

Try on lots of brands. Fit is very important. If you are cold-natured, you might want something thicker than the standard recommendation. A full jumpsuit combined with a core warmer is a common combo. When it's warmer, just wear the jumpsuit. For water a little cooler, put on the core warmer underneath the jumpsuit.

If you can't find something comfortable, consider altering a standard suit (Henderson will do this) or get a custom.

While they do have a marketing reason for this, here is a fairly good discussion of neoprene types. http://wetwear.com/

Wow! Thank you all for the information. And feel free to throw more at me. This is great!

As I said, I tend to get cold easier than most, although it hasn't presented a huge issue thus far while diving. The only time I got cold was a lake dive, but everyone in my class said they got cold, so I don't know. Diving off of West Palm Beach, I was totally comfy, although the water was in the upper-70's.

Living in SW Florida, I've been told by everyone I've talked to that a 3mm suit should be just fine. This is what I wore during my certification, and I was comfy. I've got to ask the dive shop that I went through for my certification about the suit I wore. I know I'll recognize it when I see the name on the suit...it just escapes me when I try to remember it.

Personally, I didn't have much problem getting into the suits that weren't 'hyperstretch'. But I'm a girl, so the concept of putting on clothing starting at the foot and working up isn't a mystery to me. lol Also, the off-the-rack suits I've tried have all fit me fairly well, so that doesn't seem to be an issue either. So I'm really trying to look at the differences in price ranges now. That's why I was wondering if the 'chemically-blown' vs 'nitrogen-blown' vs 'hyperstretch' stuff was just BS or something worth listening to.

I will be doing some more research on this before we buy suits. I just want to make sure that I'm not paying extra money for a feature that really isn't special or doens't do me any good. The prices at the dive shops here were in the $60-$70 range (chemically-blown), then jumped to around $180 (nitrogen-blown) then jumped again to the $280 range (hyperstretch). I have no problem with spending the money on a good product, but I don't wanna get bent over because of some marketing ploy either.

Again, thanks so much for your input. I figured someone around here had to know a bit more than me!

z28badgirl:
Wow! Thank you all for the information. And feel free to throw more at me. This is great!

As I said, I tend to get cold easier than most, although it hasn't presented a huge issue thus far while diving. The only time I got cold was a lake dive, but everyone in my class said they got cold, so I don't know. Diving off of West Palm Beach, I was totally comfy, although the water was in the upper-70's.

Living in SW Florida, I've been told by everyone I've talked to that a 3mm suit should be just fine. This is what I wore during my certification, and I was comfy. I've got to ask the dive shop that I went through for my certification about the suit I wore. I know I'll recognize it when I see the name on the suit...it just escapes me when I try to remember it.

Personally, I didn't have much problem getting into the suits that weren't 'hyperstretch'. But I'm a girl, so the concept of putting on clothing starting at the foot and working up isn't a mystery to me. lol Also, the off-the-rack suits I've tried have all fit me fairly well, so that doesn't seem to be an issue either. So I'm really trying to look at the differences in price ranges now. That's why I was wondering if the 'chemically-blown' vs 'nitrogen-blown' vs 'hyperstretch' stuff was just BS or something worth listening to.

I will be doing some more research on this before we buy suits. I just want to make sure that I'm not paying extra money for a feature that really isn't special or doens't do me any good. The prices at the dive shops here were in the $60-$70 range (chemically-blown), then jumped to around $180 (nitrogen-blown) then jumped again to the $280 range (hyperstretch). I have no problem with spending the money on a good product, but I don't wanna get bent over because of some marketing ploy either.

Again, thanks so much for your input. I figured someone around here had to know a bit more than me!

A $70 suit will not have glued and flat-stitched seams. (There is a more technical description for that.) This is a must for a diving suit or there is too much water transfer. On a surface use suit rolled seams tend to be less comfortable but don't affect warmth as much. Expect to pay just under $200 (full MSRP) and up for a good diving one piece 3MM.

Z28,
An excellent suit, Neo-Sport 3/2mm full suit can be purchased through Scuba Toys for about $80 plus shipping. I have two of them, a 3/2 and a 4/3 and love them.

the K

As a few people have posted, fit is EVERYTHING in a wetsuit, so buying online is a problem unless you're getting a custom suit or are totally confident the suit will fit, and that you'll even be able to accurately judge the fit. (Most new divers are not accustomed to how snug wetsuits should be)

It's amazing the difference in cut and fit between different brands in the same size, so you'll really have to try on several and get whatever fits best. Ultimately, this makes a much bigger difference in the comfort and warmth of the suit than do the various marketing features. Hyperstretch is so popular, I think, because it fits so many people. This makes it alot easier to sell...but you'll be just as comfortable in a well fitting neoprene suit once you're in the water. It may be a little more work to get it on/off.

It's good you're taking the wetsuit purchase seriously, as I think it's probably the single piece of equipment that makes the most immediate and noticable effect on a new diver's comfort. Have fun!

jonnythan:
Forget all the hype, and the nitrogen-blowing, and the reflective Titanium barriers and all that trash. Buy the suit that fits you best and offers you the thickness you need.

Well said! I agree! :crafty:

ScubaPro Wetsuits are my favorite. They give me wanderful Warmth and the Strech A lot. They make a couple types. One being the "Thermal Tec" and the other being an "Everflex." Obviously the Everflex is like the Hyperflex. So it really depends on what you want.

The Everflex or Hyperflex what are made so that more "odd" shaped people can still have a wetsuit without having to Custom Fit a suit.

But if your going for pure warmth, Go with the ScubaPro Thermal Tec or the Henderson Gold. Basically look at the sizing charts for each company your looking at, and base it on that on which size...

Hope This Helped. Just Remember You get what you pay for. But I would Definatly stay towards brand names. Like Henderson or ScubaPro and Also SeaQuest.

If you can fit an off the rack size.

Henderson Gold Core.

ScubaPro's with the silver core.

Inside the suit where it touches your body is silver or gold. And you want it to fit like Bike shorts. Tight but you can move easy. Sometimes hard for girls. Hyperstretch fits girls well. But doesn't offer as much cold protection. Should fit like a tight glove. Like you're poured in it.

Fit is everything in a wetsuit. A little baggy. And it will flush water in and out while swimming. Which will make you cold...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom