Seeking the elusive SDI Solo Diver course...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Executive summary: Been there, done that. :D At times it felt more like a job interview than a course, which is understandable considering that I've been a pony-carrying solo diver for a year and a half. More details to follow when I find the time.

Nemrod, I enjoy and appreciate your posts and have learned a lot from them, but your choice of no redundancy is a surprise to me. Can you elaborate why you solo dive without it?

I don't know N's reason but I also do not carry redundant breathing equipment. My reasons are that I don't dive overheads either real or virtual.

In 50 years of diving I have never had an OOA or equipment failure, I service my own gear so I feel the likelyhood of having one very very low.

I use simple systems, no octo (not needed solo) no balanced second stages, all metal regulators that I have had for many years. My current primary regulator is a double hose U S Divers AquaMaster updated with a port for an SPG. I may or may not use a BC depending on exposure protection needs. I am not dependent on a pressurized LP hose and associated O rings to a second stage. I can eliminate the possible LP inflater and hose failure by using oral inflation only for the BC.

Also how much breathing gas is enough, 80, 160 or 240 may not be enough, only a surface suppled system is enough.

Everyone has to judge what they think the risk is, in my case I feel it is low enough not to be overly concerned with.

I am not saying that there may not be a dive in my future that I would feel required redunduncy and I would use it, I just haven't gotten to it yet although I have one in mind.

K valve, Jim T, like Captain I generally do not use all of the redundancy. When the reason exists for me to use it I do but that is fairly rare. I don't buy into the two of everything rule, I have explained this before, robust and reliable and simple systems are my answer to having plastic fantastic failure prone and maintenance intensive gear. Also not relying upon gear but instead experiance to get me out of a jamb. It is simply another vantage point to the same end. My head is hurting now, perhaps later Iwill give a better explanation. I don't solo dive overhead or deco and generally below 60 to 100 feet dependent upon various factors I do carry a pony or other dual system. Esentially I think redundancy as used by many is not solving anything and may actualy increase chances for failure.

In the case of myself and Captain at least this is not all hypothetical, this is how we dive and how we have done it for many years.

N

Thanks Captain and Nemrod for your explanations. I can't see myself diving comfortably, without redundancy as you guys choose to dive, but then we wouldn't all be the rugged individualists we are, if we didn't follow our personal philosophies and instincts.

One more quick explanation since most likely the scuba police are about to ban me for being dissagreeable. First, in that event, it has been a pleasure to dive solo with all of you. Second, it has come to my thinking that a pony/regulator slung along with a single tank (sized to the dive) and my faithfull and reliable double hose is a bullet proof rig. By removing the failure prone O ring rich single hose regulators with all of the hoses and connections from my main air supply and quarantening the single hose to the pony I think that I have a solid rig. Doubles are great but the weight is more than I want to deal with most of the time. Above 60 or so feet I still think of the surface as my redundant air supply, the surface does not have any O rings either. LOL.

N

Did mine with the Dive Shop, Vienna, VA, do a web search. Took one pool session and one day of diving (two dives). They may know an SDI/TDI instructor in your area who will teach the course.

Back
Top Bottom