Seeking the elusive SDI Solo Diver course...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, I've been solo diving for quite some time. The 100 logged dive requirement is well behind me. I've been diving with redundant air (pony or larger) for far longer than that. The age requirement, 21, is almost frighteningly far behind (although I'm still young enough to be frightened by rapid aging). I've got the money on hand, and I've got time to use it.

NOW, WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE LET ME TAKE THE SDI SOLO DIVER COURSE, ALREADY?!?

I haven't been able to find any locals to teach the class. There isn't a dive shop in Louisiana listed as providing it. The shops I've emailed have never found time to reply. I finally decided to call a shop about eight hours away that had the course description on their site and everything, and after a nice conversation, the guy on the phone went to check if it was allowed for me to buy the book and have it sent here so I can study it before making my way over there. He got back on the phone and said that whomever he'd just spoken to said that there *had* to be someone local from whom I could take it, and he said to call SDI.

For the love of Pete, everyone! I *know* I'm not a completely pathetic diver. I actually *enjoy* learning for the sake of learning. I'm *quite* motivated to perform well and get the card, both because of personal pride and the many sites that I've run into that believe in the card. I've driven past Atlanta for the PSI VCI/ECT course, so I certainly wouldn't be bothered by driving eight hours for a *diving* course. (The nearest water with *any* visibility is *five* hours away, after all.)

Does anyone know of someone who wouldn't mind running the class? This is getting ridiculous! Anywhere within 10 Google-hours of 70806 would be *perfect*. Just tell me where and when. (I mean, hey, I've even got vacation time I can take if that's what'll get me my ticket to the card shark sites.)

Anyway, sorry if I sound ever so slightly exasperated. Trying to get a DM class is enough of a Sisyphean task for me, already. The effort required to try to get a Solo Diver class is apparently pushing me over the edge. :D

Just doing a quick check, I found a place in Orlando that does the solo cert. Their number is 1-888-588-DIVE. The other place that I know of is in Joplin, MO. If you go to www.extremesportsscuba.com you should be able to find the info that you need.

I hear it's being offered via independent study.

:rofl3:

OK, just kidding. There was a shop here in Indy that offered it, but alas it has closed following some business and legal issues. I also might be interested in this course in the future, so be sure and keep us updated on your progress and outcome. Also, when you find it and take the course, but sure and post a report.

Divin'Hoosier:
I hear it's being offered via independent study.

:rofl3:

OK, just kidding.
Actually, it *ought* to be. They already have some online course bits available, but a solo course would make a lot of sense. Obviously, you'd have to have the final exam and water work in real life, of course. :wink:

This just in: I just got off the phone with International Training (i.e. SDI, TDI, ERDI), and there are *no* solo instructors in Louisiana (and few active SDI instructors at all). There are also no solo instructors in Mississippi. There were, if I remember correctly, a total of three instructors in Alabama that are rated to teach solo (but they weren't much closer than the shop I called, anyway. (The person who answered my call was very nice and did everything she could, and she seemed quite surprised, indeed, that there were *no* local options available to me.)

I guess I'll call the shop back and ask them again if they would please take my money already. :D

Doesn't appear to be a huge demand. A friend recently took the course in Denver. After delaying a few months while hoping for additional students, the store eventually taught it one-on-one. You might find similar reluctance.

C'mon up to Nanaimo BC. The diving is fantastic here and I will train you in some of the finest dive sites in North America. You can even crash on my couch.

NetDoc also teaches the course in the Orlando area.

Other than the card, why do you feel you need it. I don't see a whole lot to it in the course overview.

Attachments

• SDI Solo Course (1).pdf
    169.6 KB · Views: 527
captain:
Other than the card, why do you feel you need it. I don't see a whole lot to it in the course overview.
Other than the card, I don't think I need it, although I will of course glean every speck of new information the course may provide.

My reasons for wanting the card are plentiful: Flower Gardens (at least one charter there), Pennyroyal, Haigh, Gilboa, White Star (officially, at least... don't tell on me :biggrin:), et cetera. It is the means by which many sites choose to limit their perceived liability, and if I want to dive solo at their facilities, they require I have the card.

(I truly love learning, but in this case, that's basically lagniappe -- I'm seeking the card primarily for the access it grants.)

http://www.divetechandsports.com/training.shtml

The solo course is not listed on this site, but I have spoken to the instructor and he has told me that he teaches the class and just let him know when I am ready to take it. A little far for you maybe, but sounds like you want it pretty bad. Ask for Timmy Young, he is also the owner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom