Question Seeking itinerary advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
uncfnp

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
With Bali/Komodo planned for August 2024 I am looking for a Raja Ampat for Spring 2025, ideally February or March. Because of circumstances I am limited to just a few boat options so right now it looks like it will be the Mermaid I (same boat for Bali). I have a choice between a 9/10 day trip Sorong to Sorong or a 11/12 day trip from Lembeh to Sorong (or reversed). Obviously more logistics involved in the one way trip but ignoring that does anyone have an opinion on the two choices?

Solution
Update.

I am booked for the Mermaid LOB and now finalizing NAD-Lembeh.

Two questions for those of you with experience. As mentioned, looks like Manado to Sorong is a 7 am flight so I assume I need to plan to spend an extra day iand overnight in Manado to catch that flight.

Second question, is the 7 am flight from Manado to Sorong reasonable for a same day as LOB departure or should I also plan to arrive a day early and overnight in Sorong before the LOB.
I am assuming you are diving before the liveaboard so you have two options. Stay the night at NAD and get transport early in the AM or leave NAD in the afternoon the day before and overnight in Manado. Both work. As you won't be diving in the afternoon before the flight no...
Ok, update. Posting here instead of continuing to hijack another thread.

I have narrowed it down to 2 options.

By far the cheapest is Qatar and the flight there and back would all be booked through Qatar. For Singapore I would have to book all of it separately to avoid an outrageous charge from Singapore for the connections.

Option 1
Qatar Airways. more stops but all included in the single fare. Raleigh to JFK (4 hour layover), JFK to Doha (2.5 layover), Doha to CGK (option of 4 hour or 11 hour layover) and then on to MDC.

Option 2
Singapore Airlines, I would fly Delta to JFK (6 hour layover) then book Singapore to SIN and Scoot (3 hour layover) to MDC but I would need to arrange flights and luggage separately to get to JFK and SIN to MDC (3.5 hour layover). And total would be about 1000 more than Qatar. Even more if I miss the JFK connect and so the Scoot connection.

I don’t travel well, especially given my last 3 travel experiences, so do not want to spend a day or 2 in Singapore, although I don’t mind the longer layover in Jakarta if advised to do so since I will just stay in a hotel.

But honestly it is not the cost between Qatar and Singapore as much as possibly missing the Singapore connection and instead of getting to Lembeh a day early I will be a day late. My recent Bali trip with a missed JFK connection was a nightmare.

Trip back from Jakarta is easier on Qatar since on Singapore I would have to overnight in New York before catching flight home.

So I guess unless someone says “no don’t do it” I will book Qatar.
@uncfnp

Qatar Airways is a really good airline (we have flown them several times, including in/out of Africa this summer). If the price works and the schedule works that's great.

I prefer the direct flight to SIngapore, because the flight time is ~5 hours shorter from JFK-SIN vs. JFK-Jakarta (the flight from Singapore to MDC is just a tad longer than Jakarta to MDC). If the transit in Jakarta makes your more comfortable, then go for it.

As someone else suggested - if you can find a relatively cheap business class fare on Qatar, it's definitely worth it.

Hi, What is NAD? I am not much for Muck diving. I am looking for clear water with nice reefs and sea life. Have you heard much about Papua Paradise Eco Resort? I've done a few live aboards but they seem crowded. Looking for a great land based resort with access to amazing diving in Jan or Feb. Thanks D

Hi, What is NAD? I am not much for Muck diving. I am looking for clear water with nice reefs and sea life. Have you heard much about Papua Paradise Eco Resort? I've done a few live aboards but they seem crowded. Looking for a great land based resort with access to amazing diving in Jan or Feb.
NAD is in Lembeh, hence if "you are not much into muck" (sic), forget it.
Re Papua Paradise, Batanta south of Dampier is not the best location in R4 (a lot of dives here are macro oriented), you may check out other resorts which will be closer to the coral reef sites and give you boat diving each day (Neither Sorido nor Kri Eco boats don't go out on saturdays), either Central (Papua Explorers, Agusta, RADL...) or West Dampier (Raja4divers, Cove Eco).

NAD is in Lembeh, hence if "you are not much into muck" (sic), forget it.
Re Papua Paradise, Batanta south of Dampier is not the best location in R4 (a lot of dives here are macro oriented), you may check out other resorts which will be closer to the coral reef sites and give you boat diving each day (Neither Sorido nor Kri Eco boats don't go out on saturdays), either Central (Papua Explorers, Agusta, RADL...) or West Dampier (Raja4divers, Cove Eco).
So as far as best land resort for diving what island do you suggest? I've heard good things about Papua Paradise. I am going by myself. That placed looked perfect for honeymooners!

So as far as best land resort for diving
What do you value as "best for diving"? Be more specific.
Location? boats? dive organization? number of dives per day? variety of daytrips? other?

What do you value as "best for diving"? Be more specific.
Location? boats? dive organization? number of dives per day? variety of daytrips? other?
Hi. I am looking for the best land based diving resort in raja ampart. By best I mean great dive locations, excellent accommodations and food, excellent dive shop with knowledgeable dive masters. As far as liveaboards go. 7 -9 day trip. Recommendation on a great boat and location departure Thanks Dave

Hi, What is NAD? I am not much for Muck diving. I am looking for clear water with nice reefs and sea life. Have you heard much about Papua Paradise Eco Resort? I've done a few live aboards but they seem crowded. Looking for a great land based resort with access to amazing diving in Jan or Feb. Thanks D
@av8torx

Others will recommend various landbased resorts in Raja Ampat. I wanted to address the liveaboard vs. land based diving...

In Raja Ampat specifically, land based diving is never crowded (it's a large area, with relatively few operators), and you do get to dive some of the best dive sites that are local to that dive operation. However, diving from liveaboards is also not "crowded" - event with 12-18 divers they are not dropping this number of people all at the same time, on the same site. Most liveaboard operations dive with 2-3 groups, alternating dive time by 5-10 minutes, and occasionally splitting dives between different sites. On a liveaboard in Raja Ampat you rarely see more than just your group underwater.

So from a comparison stand point, specifically in Raja Ampat, both land based and liveaboard diving is as crowded (or not as crowded) as the other. There is virtually no difference...

However if you switch to the advantages of liveaboard diving (specifically in Raja Ampat) there is a difference (vs. land based). There are a number of absolutely world class dive sites throughout Raja Ampat, however these are not located close together (two simple examples: Cape Kri and Boo Windows). These dive sites are both amazing, both represent some of the best diving that can be done, however they are hours apart by boat. To dive both sites (or the surrounding areas) you either have to change resorts (transit of several hours, potentially back through Sorong), or choose to dive the region by liveaboard.

Having dived the region both by liveaboard and land-based, the differences are fairly clear. A liveaboard will give you a much better overview of the diving in the region, including the opportunity to dive a number of these great sites. Conversely, Land-based diving lets you focus on a much smaller region (without access to more of these great sites that are not local). As an example, We chose to stay near Cape Kri so that we could dive it ~5 times over a 10 day stay, because it's that great a dive site, and is different based current, tide, moon phase, etc. A liveaboard would never enable the opportunity to do that.

There is also usually a cost delta (liveaboard diving will be more expensive), can be more comfortable depending on the boat (unless you really don't like boats), and liveaboards tend to attract more serious divers (very few people choose to spend a week+ on a dive boat unless they are there to dive). Liveaboards have one other significant advantage - liveaboards can/will alter their dive schedules to put divers on the best sites at the best times (current, tide, etc.), including often getting divers to sites before land based operations can (due to distance from resorts.). For some locations (like Komodo, and a few sites in Raja Ampat) this is a *huge* advantage. It can be the difference of diving a site at its very best vs. just whenever a land-based operator can get you there.

Thank you for sharing valuable information. I’ve done three liveaboards and tons of land based diving. On my liveaboards I’ve encountered other liveaboards diving the same site we were diving. We occasionally would see multiple groups swimming by. Could you recommend a specific land based location or a specific liveaboard ( itinerary etc). I’m available to travel to any where in the world. January and February is my window for diving. I’ve heard great things about Indonesia and the coral triangle region. Thank you D

Option 1
Qatar Airways. more stops but all included in the single fare. Raleigh to JFK (4 hour layover), JFK to Doha (2.5 layover), Doha to CGK (option of 4 hour or 11 hour layover) and then on to MDC.

Option 2
Singapore Airlines, I would fly Delta to JFK (6 hour layover) then book Singapore to SIN and Scoot (3 hour layover) to MDC but I would need to arrange flights and luggage separately to get to JFK and SIN to MDC (3.5 hour layover). And total would be about 1000 more than Qatar. Even more if I miss the JFK connect and so the Scoot connection.
My preference is always primarily to have a decent layover to allow for baggage transfer. Singapore airport is excellent and efficient and although I have no experience of Jakarta, as I have always avoided it, I'm not a fan of flying Indonesian airlines if I can avoid it.

Flights I have taken in the past with SIA have always thrown in the next legs (MDC/DPS) at no extra cost as they were always part of the SIA network e.g. Scoot and the previous SilkAir.

I like Singapore and frequently overnight there on my trips to meet friends and visit various dive shops.

Thank you for sharing valuable information. I’ve done three liveaboards and tons of land based diving. On my liveaboards I’ve encountered other liveaboards diving the same site we were diving. We occasionally would see multiple groups swimming by. Could you recommend a specific land based location or a specific liveaboard ( itinerary etc). I’m available to travel to any where in the world. January and February is my window for diving. I’ve heard great things about Indonesia and the coral triangle region. Thank you D
@av8torx

Given that it sounds like you've haven't been diving in the Coral Triangle before, where have your previous liveaboard experiences been? It is a vastly different region (both larger and much more remote) vs. almost anywhere else...

It is hard to recomend a location (and boat or resort) without knowing what you want to experience. If you want to see unique, small critters that could be Lembeh, if you want mantas and schools of fish that could be Komodo, if you want amazing biodiversity, massive fish life, etc. that could be Raja Ampat (and there are many other locations just within Indonesia as well). You kind of need to have an idea of what you want to see & experience.

Back
Top Bottom