Question Seeking itinerary advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
uncfnp

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
With Bali/Komodo planned for August 2024 I am looking for a Raja Ampat for Spring 2025, ideally February or March. Because of circumstances I am limited to just a few boat options so right now it looks like it will be the Mermaid I (same boat for Bali). I have a choice between a 9/10 day trip Sorong to Sorong or a 11/12 day trip from Lembeh to Sorong (or reversed). Obviously more logistics involved in the one way trip but ignoring that does anyone have an opinion on the two choices?

Solution
Update.

I am booked for the Mermaid LOB and now finalizing NAD-Lembeh.

Two questions for those of you with experience. As mentioned, looks like Manado to Sorong is a 7 am flight so I assume I need to plan to spend an extra day iand overnight in Manado to catch that flight.

Second question, is the 7 am flight from Manado to Sorong reasonable for a same day as LOB departure or should I also plan to arrive a day early and overnight in Sorong before the LOB.
I am assuming you are diving before the liveaboard so you have two options. Stay the night at NAD and get transport early in the AM or leave NAD in the afternoon the day before and overnight in Manado. Both work. As you won't be diving in the afternoon before the flight no...
Ok. This is more complicated then I expected given my ack of travel outside the Caribbean.

Looks like from the US I need to look for a roundtrip ticket to either Singapore, Jakarta or Bali. From this I book a flight to Manado (MDC) for the resort dives. From Manado we fly to Sorong for the LOB to RA. After the LOB I need to booka flight back to Sinagpore/Bali/Jakarta for the return flight home. All while adding in travel times and flight options. :confused: Oh my!

Edit. Hi @outofofficebrb! Flying from North Carolina.
Exactly!

Don't trust a direct flight, in some cases. I was promised a semi-direct flight from Sorong with quickish plane change in Makasar and then direct to Bali. I confirmed this many times and again, each step of the way. Whilst in Makassar, my gate was changed and I ended up flying to Jakarta with a few hours layover until boarding another flight to finally reach Bali. Definitely watch for gate changes! They don't always announce them. Watch for other people sitting at your gate, to start moving. It's a sign! 😄

This should go much smoother for you, if you don't want to visit Bali, during your trip.

From Manado, it is a short direct flight to Sorong. There is 1 a day and it’s in the afternoon.
Slight correction, LionAIr flight MDC-SOQ flies early morning 7AM, hence you always need to do a stopover in MDC (Novotel Manado near to the airport best option).

Lion and Batik gives you 20kg of free checked baggage. Lion gives you none IIRC, unless it is booked as one ticket with another Lion or Batik flight.
I suppose you mean WINGS AIR which gives you no free luggage allowance since April 2023.
LionAir is 20kg except from SOQ, 15kgs only.

Thanks guys. Needless to say I am learning a great deal in just these few days. Going ahead with my LOB booking as I continue with the travel plans.

I have a LOB through Bali this August (my first Asian trip) so no need to see Bali again. Will do the math so to speak but thinking Singapore may be the best option even if costs a bit more. We fly through Singapore for our Bali trip so liking the idea of repeating this for RA/Lembeh.

I fly out of YVR and have never managed to get a reasonable flight through Singapore! Have gone about 50/50 Jakarta/Bali. Mostly because I want to stay in Bali for a few days to get over jet lag before diving or play tourist for a few days after a dive trip.

If you can get a reasonable flight into Singapore I would go that route- otherwise Jakarta - Monado, dive with NAD for four to seven days fly on to Sorong and then fly back.

Remember that these are very long flights and you will be seriously jet lagged for a day or two. I try to build in a day or two of not diving at the front of a trip. Didn’t on my last trip in October and regretted it. When going through Jakarta stay for a day/night at FM7 before flying on.

I did Victoria - Vancouver -Tokyo - Jakarta - Monado - NAD without taking a break in October. Arrived completely gassed after more than 40 hours non stop travel. Not recommended! Should have stopped in Jakarta at least overnight.

I felt the same way as you, especially since I suffer from skeeter syndrome. I attract mosquitos when people say there are none. Over water bungalows at Papua Explorers were fantastic. I didn’t see a single mosquito around which I suspect because we are quite a way over the water. I also was using 20% picaridin when not under the net and/or using Insect Shield clothing and/or Thermacell. No bites for 2 weeks but I am diligent.

The first night or 2 was HOT after coming from AC in Sorong but I got used to it. They have fans you can put under the net and it helps a lot. It does also help being over the water, too. It’s worth it. I thoroughly enjoyed the diving more. I have since turned a new leaf and have done AC-less in other places like Alor Divers and even returned. I guess it depends on the reward. :)
Papúa Explorers is on the short list if we decide to go land based in 2025. Seems like a nice option, based on what you and others have said. The lack of AC has been a little bit of a sticking point for some in the group.

Papúa Explorers is on the short list if we decide to go land based in 2025. Seems like a nice option, based on what you and others have said. The lack of AC has been a little bit of a sticking point for some in the group.
I am back in mid April 2024 and will let you know if the last time there was a fluke. I was very concerned when I first booked it for my 2022 trip and it was not for a short period of time (2 weeks). A friend who had been there previously repeatedly reassured me. I am also braving Triton Bay without AC (also 2 weeks) after that and will let you know how that goes... I do pack a portable fan that runs on powerbank whenever I go somewhere warm now just in case. (Triton Bay doesn't have 24 hour electricity so this is even worse than Papua Explorers!) To be frank, I'm a bit more concerned about TB because I'm not over the water this time and there's probably a slight risk of Malaria there.

I will message you with interpretive emojis when I get back. :)

Slight correction, LionAIr flight MDC-SOQ flies early morning 7AM, hence you always need to do a stopover in MDC (Novotel Manado near to the airport best option).

I suppose you mean WINGS AIR which gives you no free luggage allowance since April 2023.
LionAir is 20kg except from SOQ, 15kgs only.
Yes, Wings! Thank you for catching my typo. :)

You are correct on the morning flight. It is the SOQ to MDC flight that is in the afternoon.

Fly multi city to Singapore. Buy another ticket between Singapore to MDC. Buy a one way ticket from MDC to SOQ. Buy a one way ticket from SOQ to CGK (direct). Fly home from Jakarta as a multi city ticket. (Where you live - Singapore, Jakarta - Where you live as the international ticket...everything else is a local domestic ticket)

I think this option 1 is the best one, @uncfnp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom