Question Seeking itinerary advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
uncfnp

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
With Bali/Komodo planned for August 2024 I am looking for a Raja Ampat for Spring 2025, ideally February or March. Because of circumstances I am limited to just a few boat options so right now it looks like it will be the Mermaid I (same boat for Bali). I have a choice between a 9/10 day trip Sorong to Sorong or a 11/12 day trip from Lembeh to Sorong (or reversed). Obviously more logistics involved in the one way trip but ignoring that does anyone have an opinion on the two choices?

Solution
Update.

I am booked for the Mermaid LOB and now finalizing NAD-Lembeh.

Two questions for those of you with experience. As mentioned, looks like Manado to Sorong is a 7 am flight so I assume I need to plan to spend an extra day iand overnight in Manado to catch that flight.

Second question, is the 7 am flight from Manado to Sorong reasonable for a same day as LOB departure or should I also plan to arrive a day early and overnight in Sorong before the LOB.
I am assuming you are diving before the liveaboard so you have two options. Stay the night at NAD and get transport early in the AM or leave NAD in the afternoon the day before and overnight in Manado. Both work. As you won't be diving in the afternoon before the flight no...
Hi. I’ve been on liveaboards on the great barrier reef, PNG around Kimbe Bay and the Philippines in the Tubbataha reef. Shores dives all over Mexico and Central America, Red Sea , Florida keys I prefer pristine reefs with a mix big and small sea life Big Tuna schools and sharks are amazing to see. PNG offered a nice mix. Tubbataha vis was not that great. Thanks D

Hi. I’ve been on liveaboards on the great barrier reef, PNG around Kimbe Bay and the Philippines in the Tubbataha reef. Shores dives all over Mexico and Central America, Red Sea , Florida keys I prefer pristine reefs with a mix big and small sea life Big Tuna schools and sharks are amazing to see. PNG offered a nice mix. Tubbataha vis was not that great. Thanks D
@av8torx

I would be very surprised if you saw too many divers in PNG.

Indonesia is not going to provide too many places with both great macro and great "big stuff" (other than reef scenes and possibly schools of fish). There are places in Indonesia that have very good "big stuff" - however Indonesia is not necessarily where to go for schools of sharks, etc.

To be honest - it's still very unclear what you are really looking for. There are places in Indonesia where you can consistenly get in the water with whalesharks, mantas, massive schools of fish, amazing critters, etc. (all different locations within Indonesia) but very few divers are going to Indonesia for sharks (as an example).

If you liked PNG, you should try the Solomon Islands. If you want sharks, try Cocos (liveaboard) or French Polynesia (land-based).

Tubbataha can be outstanding.... don't write up the location completely because of the ~7-8 days diving while you were there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom