Question Seeking itinerary advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
uncfnp

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
With Bali/Komodo planned for August 2024 I am looking for a Raja Ampat for Spring 2025, ideally February or March. Because of circumstances I am limited to just a few boat options so right now it looks like it will be the Mermaid I (same boat for Bali). I have a choice between a 9/10 day trip Sorong to Sorong or a 11/12 day trip from Lembeh to Sorong (or reversed). Obviously more logistics involved in the one way trip but ignoring that does anyone have an opinion on the two choices?

Solution
Update.

I am booked for the Mermaid LOB and now finalizing NAD-Lembeh.

Two questions for those of you with experience. As mentioned, looks like Manado to Sorong is a 7 am flight so I assume I need to plan to spend an extra day iand overnight in Manado to catch that flight.

Second question, is the 7 am flight from Manado to Sorong reasonable for a same day as LOB departure or should I also plan to arrive a day early and overnight in Sorong before the LOB.
I am assuming you are diving before the liveaboard so you have two options. Stay the night at NAD and get transport early in the AM or leave NAD in the afternoon the day before and overnight in Manado. Both work. As you won't be diving in the afternoon before the flight no...
With Bali/Komodo planned for August 2024 I am looking for a Raja Ampart for Spring 2025, ideally February or March. Because of circumstances I am limited to just a few boat options so right now it looks like it will be the Mermaid I (same boat for Bali). I have a choice between a 9/10 day trip Sorong to Sorong or a 11/12 day trip from Lembeh to Sorong (or reversed). Obviously more logistics involved in the one way trip but ignoring that does anyone have an opinion on the two choices?
Watching this thread. I am considering a land based Raja Ampat, followed by a liveaboard Komodo trip in February 2025.

With Bali/Komodo planned for August 2024 I am looking for a Raja Ampat for Spring 2025, ideally February or March. Because of circumstances I am limited to just a few boat options so right now it looks like it will be the Mermaid I (same boat for Bali). I have a choice between a 9/10 day trip Sorong to Sorong or a 11/12 day trip from Lembeh to Sorong (or reversed). Obviously more logistics involved in the one way trip but ignoring that does anyone have an opinion on the two choices?

Will be curious what others have to say , but I had always heard that in general re-positioning voyages usually weren’t as good as the local itineraries because needing to cover that amount of distance over the trip kind of forces what sites you dive . The boat operator needs to move the ship from point A to point B and would much rather do it with paying customers on board than with just a crew. Obviously Lembeh-Sorong might be the exception to the rule—I don’t know anything specific about that route (other than the famous start and famous end )

Did Sorong to Lembeh a few years back. Was disappointed - far too many of the reefs we dove between RA and Lembeh showed significant dynamite fishing damage. The couple of days spent in Lembeh were also disappointing as the guides for the liveaboard were nowhere near as good as the local guides. We moved to Black Sands after the liveaboard and the difference was immediately obvious. A guide who visits a few times a year can’t know the reefs as well as a local. This is not to say the trip was in any way a bad trip, just not as good as I was expecting having dived both RA and Lembeh previously.

Thanks. Exactly the info I was looking for. So Sorong to Sorong puts my trip end of March 2025. Is this a good time to go?

Watching this thread. I am considering a land based Raja Ampat, followed by a liveaboard Komodo trip in February 2025.
Hi, Trail!!!! It has been a minute. I hope you are well. As a serial Raja Ampat/Lembeh diver I thought I'd chime in.
Will be curious what others have to say , but I had always heard that in general re-positioning voyages usually weren’t as good as the local itineraries because needing to cover that amount of distance over the trip kind of forces what sites you dive . The boat operator needs to move the ship from point A to point B and would much rather do it with paying customers on board than with just a crew. Obviously Lembeh-Sorong might be the exception to the rule—I don’t know anything specific about that route (other than the famous start and famous end )
You are correct. Be a purist when it comes to Raja Ampat and stick with as long of a sailing within just Raja Ampat as you can. 10-12 day sailings will get you central RA (Dampier Strait) as well as Misool (south). Towards the 12 day end, you might get in some Wayag (north). Anything 7 days will just be central (Dampier Strait). Skip the Lembeh crossing because you'll sacrifice time in RA proper for it. February or March is a good time - really, up to early May or even mid May is fine. February might get you more manta sightings and less clear visibility but don't expect clear water in Raja Ampat any time since the water is very nutrient dense. I had consistent manta sightings even in April/May - it's just a matter of whether your op is familiar with where they are/aren't going to be.

Highly recommend the Mermaid 1; it's one of my favorite liveaboards. Don't eliminate the possibility of seeing RA by land as well. After having been there by 3 liveaboards (7, 10, 12 days) and 14 days land based, I prefer it land based and upon my return, I will be doing it land based going forward. I find the guides much more familiar with the sites (timing, tide and its effect on the site). They see these sites more regularly and know the nuances. I also like that you aren't dictated by a schedule/direction and can dive a site whenever it's best, not when it's convenient or along the way...even to avoid crowds or anyone else on the site. You also get to dive some sites that aren't visited by liveaboards. You can even repeat dive sites! Lastly, there is much more flexibility with the group. You can have multiple boats go out based on experience or preferences rather than a liveaboard catering to the least experienced. I had this issue on my last liveaboard and it was a big letdown considering the circumstances and the amount paid, and even what the boat originally specified as minimum number of dives.

Wonderful info. Thank you. If we get the Mermaid LOB trip I plan to do at least one resort before the LOB, thinking Lembeh. Any specific resorts you would recommend?

Wonderful info. Thank you. If we get the Mermaid LOB trip I plan to do at least one resort before the LOB, thinking Lembeh. Any specific resorts you would recommend?
I have been to NAD 2-3 times and they are very good. They guarantee 2 divers to 1 guide max (sometimes you even get your own!) and if you have photographic equipment, their facilities for rinsing/soaking/cleaning/preparing are incredible. The food is also very good there. The only downside is there isn't a great pool area if you want that. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. Wifi is reliable, even for VPN and remote work.

If you like muck diving, do not miss the dive site "Sapokren" while on the liveaboard in Raja Ampat. It might be a day or night dive but it's great for muck diving.

+1 for NAD. Have been four times and their guides are the best. IMHO Lots of other options though so if they are booked up you will not be disappointed if you go elsewhere.

+2 for NAD

Back to Raja Ampat, take the longest trip that you can Sorong to Sorong.

I haven't done land based at Raja Ampat. I feared that I would miss out on seeing as much of the area as possible. Didn't want the long ride from Sorong to the resort. Feared the food would be worse and that the bugs would bug me. That's one of the things that I enjoy on an lob trip, no bug bites. Also, I need air con.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom