Question Seeking itinerary advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
uncfnp

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
With Bali/Komodo planned for August 2024 I am looking for a Raja Ampat for Spring 2025, ideally February or March. Because of circumstances I am limited to just a few boat options so right now it looks like it will be the Mermaid I (same boat for Bali). I have a choice between a 9/10 day trip Sorong to Sorong or a 11/12 day trip from Lembeh to Sorong (or reversed). Obviously more logistics involved in the one way trip but ignoring that does anyone have an opinion on the two choices?

Solution
Update.

I am booked for the Mermaid LOB and now finalizing NAD-Lembeh.

Two questions for those of you with experience. As mentioned, looks like Manado to Sorong is a 7 am flight so I assume I need to plan to spend an extra day iand overnight in Manado to catch that flight.

Second question, is the 7 am flight from Manado to Sorong reasonable for a same day as LOB departure or should I also plan to arrive a day early and overnight in Sorong before the LOB.
I am assuming you are diving before the liveaboard so you have two options. Stay the night at NAD and get transport early in the AM or leave NAD in the afternoon the day before and overnight in Manado. Both work. As you won't be diving in the afternoon before the flight no...
+2 for NAD

Back to Raja Ampat, take the longest trip that you can Sorong to Sorong.

I haven't done land based at Raja Ampat. I feared that I would miss out on seeing as much of the area as possible. Didn't want the long ride from Sorong to the resort. Feared the food would be worse and that the bugs would bug me. That's one of the things that I enjoy on a lob trip, no bug bites. Also, I need air con.
I felt the same way as you, especially since I suffer from skeeter syndrome. I attract mosquitos when people say there are none. Over water bungalows at Papua Explorers were fantastic. I didn’t see a single mosquito around which I suspect because we are quite a way over the water. I also was using 20% picaridin when not under the net and/or using Insect Shield clothing and/or Thermacell. No bites for 2 weeks but I am diligent.

The first night or 2 was HOT after coming from AC in Sorong but I got used to it. They have fans you can put under the net and it helps a lot. It does also help being over the water, too. It’s worth it. I thoroughly enjoyed the diving more. I have since turned a new leaf and have done AC-less in other places like Alor Divers and even returned. I guess it depends on the reward. :)

I felt the same way as you, especially since I suffer from skeeter syndrome. I attract mosquitos when people say there are none. Over water bungalows at Papua Explorers were fantastic. I didn’t see a single mosquito around which I suspect because we are quite a way over the water. I also was using 20% picaridin when not under the net and/or using Insect Shield clothing and/or Thermacell. No bites for 2 weeks but I am diligent.

The first night or 2 was HOT after coming from AC in Sorong but I got used to it. They have fans you can put under the net and it helps a lot. It does also help being over the water, too. It’s worth it. I thoroughly enjoyed the diving more. I have since turned a new leaf and have done AC-less in other places like Alor Divers and even returned. I guess it depends on the reward. :)
And maybe the season?

So I am finalizing RA LOB and looking at NAD for Lembeh.

So for logistics, do I fly in and out of Sorong and just hop over and back for Lembeh or try to fly into Lembeh and out Sorong?

And does a week in Lembeh sound about right?

Thanks again to everyone helping me plan this trip.

I'm confused. are you trying to do Raja into Sorong? And then going to NAD in Lembeh.. and then returning to Raja ampat?

I'm confused. are you trying to do Raja into Sorong? And then going to NAD in Lembeh.. and then returning to Raja ampat?
Hi Chilly. I have never been to Indonesia nor even Asia so I may be off on my plans.

Thanks to advice I have narrowed down my LOB trip to only RA starting and ending in Sorong. Before the LOB I would like to dive in Lembeh and again following advice I am looking at staying and diving with NAD.

Now working on the best way to travel to the two destinations.

Sorong after RA fly to Manado, though you may get routed into Makassar too, at some point. Then Manado to Jakarta and home.

Hi Chilly. I have never been to Indonesia nor even Asia so I may be off on my plans.

Thanks to advice I have narrowed down my LOB trip to only RA starting and ending in Sorong. Before the LOB I would like to dive in Lembeh and again following advice I am looking at staying and diving with NAD.

Now working on the best way to travel to the two destinations.
where do you live? Singapore airlines flies to Singapore and you can connect to Manado on Scoot (their budget carrier) directly on the same ticket or you can buy a ticket to Singapore then buy a flight from Singapore to Manado. Alternatively, and less preferred, you can also fly into Jakarta then book a local ticket to Manado.

From Manado, it is a short direct flight to Sorong. There is 1 a day and it’s in the afternoon. From Sorong to get home, fly back to Jakarta (direct) - I suggest batik or Garuda. Then fly home from Jakarta.

You will either do a multi city ticket or a round trip Jakarta ticket for your international inbound ticket. I’m happy to chat with you in more detail via PM if you need help with this. I’ve done this jaunt into and out of Sorong with plans before and after a few times already. :)

Ok. This is more complicated then I expected given my ack of travel outside the Caribbean.

Looks like from the US I need to look for a roundtrip ticket to either Singapore, Jakarta or Bali. From this I book a flight to Manado (MDC) for the resort dives. From Manado we fly to Sorong for the LOB to RA. After the LOB I need to booka flight back to Sinagpore/Bali/Jakarta for the return flight home. All while adding in travel times and flight options. :confused: Oh my!

Edit. Hi @outofofficebrb! Flying from North Carolina.

Ok. This is more complicated then I expected given my ack of travel outside the Caribbean.

Looks like from the US I need to look for a roundtrip ticked to either Singapore, Jakarta or Bali. From this I book a flight to Manado (MDC) for the resort dives. From Manado we fly to Sorong for the LOB to RA. After the LOB I need to booka flight back to Sinagpore/Bali/Jakarta for the return flight home. All while adding in travel times and flight options. :confused: Oh my!

Edit. Hi @outofofficebrb! Flying from North Carolina.
If you fly into Bali, you will need to do a stopover to get to Manado and a stopover in order to get back to Bali from Sorong. Often times, stopovers in Indonesia can be a big pain and can take you an entire day to travel. Sometimes they're OK. You will have to balance the price and logistical options of the following options. I don't suggest Bali for your purposes unless you really intend to stop over and be in Bali. However, an option is still to fly into Bali on a multi city ticket and depart from Jakarta. So many combinations. You'll have to price and play with it, track it on a spreadsheet to see what you're okay with paying vs the transits you'll have to make.
  1. Fly multi city to Singapore. Buy another ticket between Singapore to MDC. Buy a one way ticket from MDC to SOQ. Buy a one way ticket from SOQ to CGK (direct). Fly home from Jakarta as a multi city ticket. (Where you live - Singapore, Jakarta - Where you live as the international ticket...everything else is a local domestic ticket)
  2. Fly round trip to Jakarta. (Where you live - Jakarta - Where you live) Buy a one way ticket from CGK to MDC. Buy a one way ticket from MDC to SOQ. Buy a one way ticket from SOQ back to CGK to fly home.
  3. Buy a ticket all the way to MDC (Singapore Airlines w/ Scoot on one ticket). Buy a round trip ticket between MDC to SOQ. (Where you live - Singapore - MDC - Where you live) Depending on where you live there might be another stop if you don't live along the Pacific or in Newark/New York - that's where they have their nonstop Singapore flights. (16 - 19 hours)
In Indonesia, one way tickets are usually exactly half the cost of a round trip ticket so you don't lose anything by not booking round trip tickets. Airlines matter for baggage. Garuda gives you 23kg free scuba equipment on top of 20kg of checked baggage for free. So, you essentially get 43kg of free baggage with Garuda. Lion and Batik gives you 20kg of free checked baggage. Lion gives you none IIRC, unless it is booked as one ticket with another Lion or Batik flight. This is all assuming economy class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom