See, its good to have a SMB in the open ocean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dual colour one is always attached to my BC also, and I really don't understand why many divers do not have one, they are an essential piece of safety kit, certainly reduced my pick up time from a dive boat several years ago when I was swept off by a very strong current in the straits of Hormuz.

I was worried that the one that I bought was too big (7 feet tall, and like 8 inches wide) but the other day I had to use mine in 2-4 foot seas, and it was reassuring to have and be certain I would be spotted. Mine fills from either an octo, or an LP hose, or your breath. Mine is yellow, as my experience has shown me that yellow is much more visible than any other color I have seen so far. Also, there are some pretty good videos on youtube showing how to rig an SMB to a spool.

If you can not deploy it from a depth of 25 feet, it's just a colorful ornament.

There are a lot of Christmas Trees out there.

Get instruction, practice.

After watching, on our last trip, how hard it was for our boat driver to spot a small, skinny SMB in calm seas w/ clear skies, my wife/buddy and I just ditched ours and bought the 7-foot x fat versions for all of our diving. They're also stout enough to carry a strobe on the top D-ring.

My wife and I carry on on every dive. I've recently added a "floating ribbon" to the inflatable tubes we each carry. I don't know why everyone doesn't carry them. We use them on shore excursions as well as boat dives.
DivemasterDennis

My wife and I carry on on every dive. I've recently added a "floating ribbon" to the inflatable tubes we each carry. I don't know why everyone doesn't carry them. We use them on shore excursions as well as boat dives.
DivemasterDennis
When you say "floating ribbon" are you referring to a streamer that floats on the surface of the water or something different?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom