Securing your camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
I need some ideas on how to secure my camera so that I don't contribute it to the sea gods if I was to have a case of the fumble fingers.

What I've got is the Ikelite Auto35 with the acompanying strobe (purchased right before WreckMania).

Right now, I'm using just the included wrist strap for securing it and hanging on to it by hand when not taking photos.

What I'd like to come up with is some sort of method to attach it to my BC so that when needed, I have both hands free. An example was on the ascent line at Wreckmania. There was enough current that we all were doing our imitation of flags in a stiff breeze and both hands were needed to hold onto the ascent line.

My design criteria are as follows:
  • easy to stow/unstow the camera
  • when stowed, the camera is as out of the way as possible
  • any lanyards used won't become entanglement hazards
  • prefer not using any retractors, suicide clips, or carabiners.
I'm headed out to the Flower Gardens next week, so I'm hoping some of you bright eggs out there might be able to come up with something.

I'm not sure if you saw my set up at Wreckmania or not, but I've been happy (so far) with using something like this Clip with coil oops just discovered this link doesn't take you to where I thought it would. From the link, go to accessories, clips, then find the clips with a coil (there are at least 3 shown)

One end of the lanyard is fastened on the camera, the other end stays cliped to my BC, then I unclip the center portion and have the length of the coil to extend the camera.

Using it saved my contributing the camera to the sea gods while in Florida, as you said we sometimes needed both hands on the line while we played "flags".

I use the same method as DG, but add a second restraint, working on the assumption that, one day, the first will fail.

Of course, if your camera / housing are buoyant (an issue in itself for a debate) then you would at least have something to chase. (But not at unsafe ascent rates!)

MN

Where does everyone clip the coil to? The existing laynard on the camera, or does the housing have another fastening point?

The coiled lanyards are well worth the money. There's a couple different companies selling them...Innovative Scuba and Trident come to mind....and they run around $15-20.

The coil is strong enough that if you need to drop you camera in a hurry to use both hands, your camera can dangle safely. the coil is also flexible enough to allow you freedom of movement yet tight enough not to get in your way.

Best accessory you can buy!

FLL Diver once bubbled...
Where does everyone clip the coil to? The existing laynard on the camera, or does the housing have another fastening point?

Using the clip set up I have:
- at one end there is a small lanyard -- this I put into the place where the original wrist strap was fastened

- at the other end is a carabena (sp?) clip - which I clip to a d-ring on my BC

This then contects the camera to you.

If the center male/female clip is fastened, then the coil loop acts like a wrist strap. When it is opened, you have your normal full function range of your camera.

Mike,

I have the Auto35 with strobe. I also use the coil lanyard. There are many kinds of connectors on the coiled lanyards. I chose the brass gate clip for my BC D-ring connection. The other end of the lanyard has a nylon loop with one of those spring loaded plastic drawstring doofers. I tighten this loop to the skinny part of the ballast plate between the camera and the strobe (see picture) . . . absolutely no problems in over two years of use.

The wrist lanyard on my Reefmaster came with an attachment clip already on it. I plan to replace it (it's plastic) but haven't yet. I attach it to my right shoulder D-ring. Since the D-ring is at my chin, I don't have to unclip it to use the camera.
There is a problem with this setup, though. The camera is positively bouyant (i don't have the external strobe yet) and on my right side (don't have a left shoulder D-ring). My reg hoses are on my right side. I have to be watchful that they don't get entangled.

Jarhead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom