securing the inflator hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was watching DSD last night and it looked like John Chatterton put his lp hose under his arm and his corrugated hose above his arm. Would this be an acceptable DIR configuration? Do you see any problems with having the hose set up this way?

I'm very new to the DIR concept, so I'm sure somebody will let me know if I'm totally off base here.

Thank you!

RF

RallyFord:
I was watching DSD last night and it looked like John Chatterton put his lp hose under his arm and his corrugated hose above his arm. Would this be an acceptable DIR configuration? Do you see any problems with having the hose set up this way?

I'm very new to the DIR concept, so I'm sure somebody will let me know if I'm totally off base here.

Thank you!

RF
John Chatterton and DIR are mutually exclusive.

LG Diver:
I run only the LP hose through the bungee loop (not the corrugated hose). This seems to give more freedom to lift the inflator for venting, but still holds it in place nicely.
I'm not sure that's consistent with DIR recomendations. AFAIK running both is recomended way.

MonkSeal:
I'm not sure that's consistent with DIR recomendations. AFAIK running both is recomended way.

I'm looking at my copy of "Dress for Success" and while it doesn't specifically speak to this there are a few pictures on page 38 that show a doubles wing set up as I've described, including one close-up of the inflator. It shows the LP hose held to the corrugated hose by a couple of sections of bicycle inner tube, and only the LP hose appears to be run through the bungee attached to the d-ring. I haven't taken fundies yet, so I don't know what's taught in class.

We didn't do it that way in my fundies class... not sure what others teach.

I started with both through the bungee.

I took DIRF in early 2002 and it was corrugated only through bungee. LPI hose was outside the bungee.

It has since been revised back to both through the bungee according to HQs.

Dan Gibson:
I started with both through the bungee.

I took DIRF in early 2002 and it was corrugated only through bungee. LPI hose was outside the bungee.

It has since been revised back to both through the bungee according to HQs.

Do you mind explaining the reasoning behind this? This detail doesn't seem to be covered in either the Dress for Success book or JJ's book, so I'm curious as to the thought process behind it. I put only the LP hose through because it doesn't hang on the bungee like the corrugated hose does so it slides easier when I raise the inflator to vent.

I put both through. Always have... no logic to it. JJ didn't change it when he saw it. Neither did the other instructor. I agree that leaving the corrugated hose outside would allow it to slide smoother, but other than at the surface on initial descent, I don't think I've ever dumped from the inflator, so I don't worry about it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom