securing the inflator hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure there really is a good answer. It was obvious to me that the hoses were to be tied together by the innertube when I first bought a bp/w. The bungee was an obvious choice to hold it down to keep it from floating away. I gave it no other thought.

Then I took the DIRF class in early 2002 and cave in 2003 and we were introuduce to the reason you separate them is to prevent the lp inflator hose from accidentally being disconnected by the bungee. I have to tell you this has never happened to me and I don't know anyone it has happened to. It wasn't just one instructor who did this. I was taught to separate the hoses all the way through cave classes as well.

It wasn't until late 2004 that I recall this becoming an issue. George basically stated put them both through the bungee and that was supposed to be the final answer per an email from JJ to the masses. There may have been some good reason (I obviously missed it) one way or the other, but I don't really recall seeing it or hearing it. I'd certainly like to hear it from someone doing the big dives. btw, I did get the point about the crotch D-ring being left out first hand prior to the change when I first got on a scooter and the d-ring was turned the wrong way.

Some people I know still separate hoses around the bungee. I just went back to my original way of doing it since it didn't bother me in the first place. I probably went along on this issue just because I was in a class. Then it became habit. Most of the changes I have seen first hand or experienced why they were revised back to the correct method. This is one I have not.

LG Diver:
Do you mind explaining the reasoning behind this? This detail doesn't seem to be covered in either the Dress for Success book or JJ's book, so I'm curious as to the thought process behind it. I put only the LP hose through because it doesn't hang on the bungee like the corrugated hose does so it slides easier when I raise the inflator to vent.

Dan Gibson:
It wasn't until late 2004 that I recall this becoming an issue. George basically stated put them both through the bungee and that was supposed to be the final answer per an email from JJ to the masses. There may have been some good reason (I obviously missed it) one way or the other, but I don't really recall seeing it or hearing it. I'd certainly like to hear it from someone doing the big dives. btw, I did get the point about the crotch D-ring being left out first hand prior to the change when I first got on a scooter and the d-ring was turned the wrong way.

i think the general idea was that:

- running both under allows you to get it out
- the bungee disconnecting the LP inflator is rarely seen on actual dives
- you should be neutral and able to orally inflate, so disconnecting the LP inflator shouldn't be a big deal
- a slightly longer LP inflator hose makes it less likely for the inflator to disconnect

The first and second points I agree with you.

The third isn't a reason to route a certain way in my opinion since you should always strive to be close to nuetral and never excessively negative. The thing you need to be able to do is to disconnect during a runaway. You will go positive during one of these incidents. That could happen slowly or rapidly.

I haven't really given much thought to the last point, but it does make sense that if it is excessively short, it might disconnect more easily.

Point one seems to be the only real reason to route both through the bungee. I'd certainly like to know if there are other reasons.

Edit: I reread your post and I think I misunderstood your third point. I believe you are saying an accidental disconnect is no reason to worry, so why route it a special way. (i.e. fixing a non problem).

lamont:
i think the general idea was that:

- running both under allows you to get it out
- the bungee disconnecting the LP inflator is rarely seen on actual dives
- you should be neutral and able to orally inflate, so disconnecting the LP inflator shouldn't be a big deal
- a slightly longer LP inflator hose makes it less likely for the inflator to disconnect

Dan Gibson:
The third isn't a reason to route a certain way in my opinion since you should always strive to be close to nuetral and never excessively negative. The thing you need to be able to do is to disconnect during a runaway. You will go positive during one of these incidents. That could happen slowly or rapidly.
[...]
Edit: I reread your post and I think I misunderstood your third point. I believe you are saying an accidental disconnect is no reason to worry, so why route it a special way. (i.e. fixing a non problem).

yup, this has always struck me as fixing a non-problem.

i don't know that it really matters either way, since being able to get both hoses detatched from the bungee isn't a very compelling use case either...

As many others have mentioned, I use a piece of bungee tied to my left strap...I run the corrugated hose through this and then connect the inflator hose to the inflator. I also secure the inflator hose to the corrugated rubber hose with small rubber inner tube pieces...making it look streamlined, neat and tidy.

I have been diving for 12 years but I am still somewhat new to doubles and the hogarthian bp/w setup. Rolling is not my issue...center of gravity is the issue in shallower water with a thicker wet suit. I dislike the feeling of being top heavy with no leg control...deeper water I am fine as usual because of the suit compression (aluminum BP in fresh water).

Also...I decided to go with a custom BP given that I a 6'4" tall...it makes for a more comfortable fit.

Just my 02.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom