securing the inflator hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cloudboy55

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm new to DIR, and one issue I've noticed is that the corrugated power inflator hose is often hanging in the wrong place. I would like to band it off with something that can be quicky removed in an emergency. Is anyone doing this, or is the idea to let it hang?

Yesterday was my first dive with doubles and my first dive with a hogarthian harness. My first impression was that the tanks have a tendency to want to roll you - sort of like swimming with a house on my back!

Hmm, can you show a picture of your setup?? Something seems amiss. My inflator hangs RIGHT where I want it. And doubles tend to want to roll me less than my single tank.

Give us some more info about your setup. Tanks, what wing, etc.

Use a small piece of bungee on your left chest d-ring and make a loop with it to run the corrugated hose, it holds it in place, and is flexible enough that you can lift it if you needed to, don't make the loop to small that it doesn't have any flex in it but you don't want it to big for that defeats the purpose of having it there

PerroneFord:
Hmm, can you show a picture of your setup?? Something seems amiss. My inflator hangs RIGHT where I want it. And doubles tend to want to roll me less than my single tank.

Give us some more info about your setup. Tanks, what wing, etc.

Sorry, I had to take the tanks out of the bands so I don't have a picture... I have a Halcyon 60 lb evolve wing with a stainless steel backplate with 100 c.f. HP steel tanks. They're quite heavy, and for right now I'm diving them in a wetsuit. I intend to get a drysuit soon.

I use a 3" long ring cut from a trailer tire inner tube and run the left shoulder strap through it. It's large enough to thread the inflator through and will hold the hose securely to the strap just above the left D-ring without interfering with it. In the event you need more hose, the tube will slide up the strap as you firmly pull the hose away from the strap and it can again be easily slid down to secure the hose.

AL80's tend to be neutral to positive during the dive and they are very stable - like swimming around under a blimp. However excessively negative tanks can be somewhat destablizing unless you configure very carefully as early in the dive, your center of gravity can be or even above your center of lift.

If it's a Halcyon Evolve on a Halcyon SS backplate there should be a small piece of bungie that is connected to the left shoulder d-ring. I run my inflator hose under that bungie so it never moves and is always right where it should be. :)

I use a loop of 1/8" bungee on the left d-ring. I've tied it so the loop is about as big as the d-ring. I run only the LP hose through the bungee loop (not the corrugated hose). This seems to give more freedom to lift the inflator for venting, but still holds it in place nicely.

SparticleBrane:
If it's a Halcyon Evolve on a Halcyon SS backplate there should be a small piece of bungie that is connected to the left shoulder d-ring. I run my inflator hose under that bungie so it never moves and is always right where it should be. :)

Okay, I thought that's what the "huge rubber d-ring" was for, but I wasn't sure.

LG Diver:
I use a loop of 1/8" bungee on the left d-ring. I've tied it so the loop is about as big as the d-ring. I run only the LP hose through the bungee loop (not the corrugated hose). This seems to give more freedom to lift the inflator for venting, but still holds it in place nicely.
This is what I do also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom