Securing the Console to the BCD - Functionality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
ScubaBoard Community,

I am about to purchase a consol mounted dive computer. I have heard various methods of securing the consol to my BCD, but I would like to hear from others how they do it. I am not a fan of just sticking the consol in either a pocket or the BCD’s cummerbund. My original thoughts were something along the lines of a retractable gear keeper. I really would like to maximize the functionality of the consol, yet keep it secure and tight to my body.

I would appreciate anyone’s suggestions. I know there are many good & clever ideas out there. :lightbulb:

Thanks,

Michael

I am a fan of simplicity and ruggedness.

I use bolt-snaps to secure everything that needs securing. I tied them on with a cave knot. They'll last forever, will never come accidentally undone, and the kit they secure is instantly available when you need it.

BeaverSingleEndedBoltSnap.jpgspg-clip2005.jpg

How to attach a Bolt Snap

I use a retractor with a clip. Not sure if it's this exact one, but it's similar:
Gear Keeper Scuba Console Snap Clip Locking Retractor
I bought it at my local shop so I could feel the retractor pull strength and get the right one.

It's not as rugged as what DevonDiver suggests, but it has the advantage that you can pull it up to squint at the computer with your presbyopic geezer eyeballs, and just let it go and it will go back to being snug against you. I use marine brass snap-clips for other things; however, because a console computer is already tied onto you via the high pressure hose I don't consider the clip used to keep it snug to be a safety item. If it's just a convenience item, then a spring-loaded retractor is mighty convenient.

Thanks all...

My office mates think I have lost my mind. I am sitting at my desk with an address book simulating both techniques. :dork2: If they only knew that soon I will be employing these.

They both are simple and I think I can test them both out and see which one works best for my body mechanical motions...thanks guys :vintagediver:
Michael

The console is something you need to refer to often enough that you pretty well need a small retractor.

My console has a metal frame, to which I clip a bolt snap. The snap is attached to my left chest D-ring by thin strap of 2-sided Velcro. The console stays closer to my chest than with a retractor, and is easily read, and/or detached as necessary.

I use a 6 inch bungee and a bolt snap to my left shoulder. If you have the compass up front you really want the 36 inch HP hose. It will be hard to get a nice sighting on the standard 30 inch.

If I am swimming very close to the bottom I will chicken wing it to bring it in extra tight. With 550+ dives on my compass it's no worse for wear.

My wife has similar configuration but prefers an active retractor.

Pete

I am a fan of simplicity and ruggedness.

I use bolt-snaps to secure everything that needs securing. I tied them on with a cave knot. They'll last forever, will never come accidentally undone, and the kit they secure is instantly available when you need it.

View attachment 108371View attachment 108372

How to attach a Bolt Snap

Does configuration cause excessive corrosion and problems with soaking the SPG spool in saltwater that the line absorbs and holds over the swivel?

Does configuration cause excessive corrosion and problems with soaking the SPG spool in saltwater that the line absorbs and holds over the swivel?

I've been using them for years. Never had a problem with corrosion. None at all, let alone excessive. Never had a knot untie itself or fail either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom