Securing the Console to the BCD - Functionality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks...you probably wash your gear and stuff huh? :D

I do something similar, I just tie a clip onto the hose a little below the dreaded console.

I am a fan of simplicity and ruggedness.

I use bolt-snaps to secure everything that needs securing. I tied them on with a cave knot. They'll last forever, will never come accidentally undone, and the kit they secure is instantly available when you need it.

View attachment 108371View attachment 108372

How to attach a Bolt Snap

I really liked the simplicity of this knot, yet I can see its functionality :eek:k:

I purchased my consol computer last night from a LDS in Colorado and they will ship it to me here in the Middle East. I also included both a Bolt Snap Hook and a Retractor. I can get some bungee cord here. So I will experiment and see which method or combination works for me. I would like to thank all who provided thier great insight and shared.

Thanks,

Michael

Used to use a retractor, until I saw a photograph taken of me. The console was heavy enough to pull out the retractor a few inches - something I was not aware of until I saw the photo (attached to my left ring on the waist). Switched to the bolt snap.

Used to use a retractor, until I saw a photograph taken of me. The console was heavy enough to pull out the retractor a few inches - something I was not aware of until I saw the photo (attached to my left ring on the waist). Switched to the bolt snap.

Hawkwood,

I was wonder how the 'drag' would effect the retractor. Do you think some of these military grade retractors, designed for a heavy wepon, would fair any better?

~Me~

I think the console was just heavier than the small retractor was meant for. Instead of spending more on a more "robust" retractor I just went the simplest and fool-proof way of the bolt snap.

I have always used a small stainless clip and a snorkel keeper around the hose to clip off to a D ring on my BC. Cheap, effective, and you can slide the hose through it if you need to fine tune the positioning.

- Tim

I have always used a small stainless clip and a snorkel keeper around the hose to clip off to a D ring on my BC.

Tim,

If you use your snorkle retainer for your consol...how do you secure your snorkle to your mask?

I know, stupid joke...but it was funny in my world :yeahbaby:

I really do like the simplicity of it and the fact I could adjust the keeper. Again...thanks for the suggestion and I will give it a try.

~Me~

I tried a retractor, thinking it would free my hand for other things, but I quickly became annoyed with it. I've always dove with my console in my left hand and both hands positioned close to my belly. In open water or reef diving I have found this is the best way to maximize access to my computer, minimize/eliminate console drag on the reef, taught me not to use my hands while diving (for swimming) and seems to put me into proper trim. Do what you will on keeping the console secure, but before spending money on gadgets, try diving with the console in your hand. You may be surprised how relaxing and efficient this is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom