Second stage issue caused by flying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Better still, when you get new regs ... get HOG. There's a company that actually supports consumers with classes and parts so that they can service their own regulators.

Right on Thal!

As does Dive Rite. Why is the list so short of companies that will sell you parts kits and post service directions on their web site?

-Mitch

I use a Pelican rolling carry-on box. It's the 1510 model, I believe.
In it I pack regulators, can light, back-up lights, bottom timers, compass, mask, laptop, and some clothes.
I don't like the idea of any of these thing getting stolen from my checked baggage.

-Mitch

Right on Thal!

As does Dive Rite. Why is the list so short of companies that will sell you parts kits and post service directions on their web site?

-Mitch
@Pullmyfinger: Which companies post official service directions on their website? AFAIK, only Dive Rite does. (Good for Dive Rite.) HOG does not, although people have shared that Apeks reg servicing manuals can serve as a good enough substitute. The only shop I know of that teaches the HOG servicing class is Dive Right In Scuba. The class costs $200, and the diver must hold some sort of tech certification before being allowed to sign up for the class. I believe the DRIS class instructor provides students with a servicing manual. These are not made available to the public.

Hi Bubble,

I thought that HOG provided all of the manuals as well as the parts kits.
I was mistaken. I didn't realize that it was only available to those that complete their course.
Either way, $200 for their class is well worth it.

-Mitch

I believe HOG provides manuals and parts. HOG does require some sort of tech cert, I don't know how hard and fast that rule is. I think the price is up to the instructor.

My regulator is always taken on board the plane with me. Same for my computer. Also, be sure to check your low pressure inflator hose where it screws into your BC.

Hi Bubble,

I thought that HOG provided all of the manuals as well as the parts kits.
I was mistaken. I didn't realize that it was only available to those that complete their course.
Either way, $200 for their class is well worth it.

-Mitch

Yeah, but how much does that class become when you have to travel to thier location, hotel stays, and taking off from work to take the class? That quickly becomes over a couple $1000 for the class and the right to buy the kits from them. I can pay for a LOT of reg services for that kind of money.

It is my understanding that the class is not a requirement to buy HOG parts. DRIS offers the class for those who want it but will sell parts regardless.

If that is the case, then they have had a policy change. When Hog started selling thier regs, I talked to one of the top guys about the service kits. I was told that you had to take the class to buy the kits.

Back
Top Bottom