Second Mexico Cave Diving Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for now - Jailhouse is closed (some reconstruction on the surface)
Reopened the other day. The top side is really clean and easy to access.

Just Florida with it's vast network is incredible. And then think about all the private land in Florida with clear springs that hasn't been touched because the owners won't allow it. There's a whole world down there we have no clue about.
My wife has access to many, many springs the average cave diver can’t get into. Including some that scientific groups have been denied access to. The sheer number of caves I’ve never heard of or seen in cave counters is insane. I’m lucky in that she also has permission to dive them, so we will be trying some of them out this year. Most have been explored and lined already, but we’re shut off from public access in the 60s and 70s. A few have never been lined and explored.
There is a whole world of caves in Florida I had no clue existed, and even ,ost of our instructor friends have never heard of them.

Reopened the other day. The top side is really clean and easy to access.
Yep. At first look, it annoys me what they did. But as I think more as long as they haven’t ruined the natural ecosystems I’m ok with it.
Last trip to mexico(our 10th), we dove 6 days and did tam maha 3 of them. The more I see of that cave the more I love it.

Just Florida with it's vast network is incredible. And then think about all the private land in Florida with clear springs that hasn't been touched because the owners won't allow it. There's a whole world down there we have no clue about.

I have a couple of buddies that are diving some of those sinks on and off. One of these days I will reach that level.

Yep. At first look, it annoys me what they did. But as I think more as long as they haven’t ruined the natural ecosystems I’m ok with it.
Last trip to mexico(our 10th), we dove 6 days and did tam maha 3 of them. The more I see of that cave the more I love it.

I would argue that the walkways actually take a load off the ecosystem as everyone is funneled or a limited area vs walking where ever they can go. Sort of like the Buford boardwalk, the trails in the hip deep mud probably was worse.

But I agree about Taj, I still think the best single dive I've had in Mexico was the Chinese Garden line.

Guys, what do you so like Taj for?
As for me I like Mexican caves for decorations, thus Taj is not in the top of my rating.
Dos Pisos and Concha (left passage) are my favourites, then comes Coop One (way to Tres Estrellas), Chan Hol (right passage). Sac Be Ha, etc...

I have a couple of buddies that are diving some of those sinks on and off. One of these days I will reach that level.

I would argue that the walkways actually take a load off the ecosystem as everyone is funneled or a limited area vs walking where ever they can go.
I don’t disagree but I don’t think that was what was accomplished at jailhouse. And as for Buford, the boardwalk is awesome and provides less negative impact on the area. But at the same time it has increased the number of visitors by ten fold which may in the long term be worse than the positives the boardwalk creates.

Guys, what do you so like Taj for?
As for me I like Mexican caves for decorations, thus Taj is not in the top of my rating.
Dos Pisos and Concha (left passage) are my favourites, then comes Coop One (way to Tres Estrellas), Chan Hol (right passage). Sac Be Ha, etc...
I love all Mexican caves but in the past never really thought taj was that special. Last trip was my first time to taj on ccr and it made it amazing. We spent hours exploring every line we could. Each one was better and better. There are places in taj with a ton of decoration. Including areas where you’re weaving in and out of formations. I can’t say what was so awesome about it, but it was just awesome.
Chan hol is on the top of my list. As for dos pisos, I actually hated that cave. Not sure why, just did. I may have just been having a grumpy day that day. But I’ve never been back because my dive notes say “****** dive, don’t go back”.
My all time favorite oddly enough is grand cenote. There’s some beautiful areas off the beaten path nobody visits. Sadly it’s closed to diving though.

I don’t disagree but I don’t think that was what was accomplished at jailhouse. And as for Buford, the boardwalk is awesome and provides less negative impact on the area. But at the same time it has increased the number of visitors by ten fold which may in the long term be worse than the positives the boardwalk creates.

I saw photos of people doing their advanced open water checkout dives in Buford and just shook my head.

I think it would be great to just pick one spot in Mexico for each trip. Spend the entire trip getting to know that one cave like I have done in Florida. Now I need to find a buddy that's into exploring a spot rather than "Cave Hopping".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom