Second Mexico Cave Diving Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
So right now we are planning a Mexico trip for Christmas. Won't be a full time diving trip, probably looking at 4-5 diving days. So where to go. Some considerations, I am a sidemount diver, with fairly good buoyancy control. I'm also missing a leg so I won't be bombing around the jungle or rappelling into caves. Easy entrance and one where it isn't a huge inconvenience for the guide or buddy to return my leg into a car.

Cert level - Full cave and Helitrox - I might have stage cave done.

Caves I've visited:
Carwash - Both upstream and downstream including the room of the ancients
Nohoch - upstream and downstream
Xu-lo
Tajma Ha - Chinese Garden line and did an almost circuit by going up the circuit line and then down the river line toward the entrance before turning at turn pressure.

I am thinking I would like to do another day in Nohoch bombing around the first couple of thousand of the downstream section as it is breathtaking. I would like to visit Mayan Blue and Zapote. That leaves one more day, I could go to one of the prior caves but I might leave that for a day 5 or 6. How is Chan-hol? We visited it but decided that after we pissed off the wasps that we would leave it for Jon and head to Xu-lo.

Chan Hol is amazing. It's a good dive to do the day before you leave since the main line and professor loop are great to see and only one dive at the site is nice.

Jailhouse is also good. Check out Yaxbe Line downstream and the first jump left upstream at the scientific equipment.

Chan hol is excellent and one of my favorites on ccr because there’s so much to see. Since you’re still new to Mexico I’d recommend jailhouse, Mayan blue, Kalimba, Zacil ha, and nai Tucha

Just be aware that Christmas is a busy time in tulum. I just got back two weeks ago and tulum was the busiest I’ve ever seen it in 8 years of going, but barely any divers. The locals said that there are a large number of Americans and Europeans that went to tulum at the start of the pandemic and have stayed since they can work remotely.

Just be aware that Christmas is a busy time in tulum. I just got back two weeks ago and tulum was the busiest I’ve ever seen it in 8 years of going, but barely any divers. The locals said that there are a large number of Americans and Europeans that went to tulum at the start of the pandemic and have stayed since they can work remotely.

Hmm it was pretty quiet in July, must have picked up.

Mom wants to get out of town for a couple of weeks, so she is planning this Christmas trip. Who am I to decline a free trip to Mexico?

Hmm it was pretty quiet in July, must have picked up.

Mom wants to get out of town for a couple of weeks, so she is planning this Christmas trip. Who am I to decline a free trip to Mexico?

aftet the lockdown in that area ended more people flocked there to stay. The woman I rent apartments from has been completely booked for months

aftet the lockdown in that area ended more people flocked there to stay. The woman I rent apartments from has been completely booked for months

That is good news for at least part of the economy in that area. But without divers the dive industry will be hurting.

I'll second Chan Hol, also try Otoch Ha, great dive, fairly easy to get around, once through then entrance you have a choice of left or right. Right takes you deep in the cave with some really cool jumps and left, if you follow the main line will take you to the "beginning" of the line.

Another one, but it is a much longer drive, is Nai Tucha/Tux Kupaxa, freaking awesome cave!

Send me a PM if you want. Will be down in Tulum from November 29 to December 30th. Expecting our airline to cancel our December 30 flights due to not enough people. We will chance to January 3rd. I’m full cave with stage.Will be diving out of Protec Tulum.

Send me a PM if you want. Will be down in Tulum from November 29 to December 30th. Expecting our airline to cancel our December 30 flights due to not enough people. We will chance to January 3rd. I’m full cave with stage.Will be diving out of Protec Tulum.

I'll hit you up once I have my dates hammered down. I expect we will have everything booked in the next few days.

We'll be staying near in centro in PDC, but a drive isn't a big deal for me. I'll have a rental SUV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom