seavision mask with the colored lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love mine! But I also have one with clear lenses.

Benefits and drawbacks:

Adds colors (reds) back to the underwater scenery
Has no effect on color after about 60' deep

Reduces visibility somewhat in murky and dark water.

Not needed on night dives because you're using a light

If you're not going to be getting much deeper than 50', diving clear water and mostly day time dives, they're nice.

Best thing, in my opinion, about the SeaVision masks is the skirt. Their skirts kick butt !!!! (Plus the fact that I'm an old fart and need bifocal lenses)

the K

I have over 200 Ocean dives and not one has been made without this mask... the K is right....that skirt is hot action. They only make one size and it fits all unless you have some deformity. :)

It is pretty low volume, comfortable, and has not given me a problem. I even own the low light one...with the yellow tinted lenses.

Remember to get rid of any hair under the skirt.

What about the purge model,,,is it worth the extra 10 bucks or does this mask seldom get water into it. Would you pay the extra $$ for the tinted lens. Plan on doing both day and night dives. Trips planed are St. Lucia and Bonaire this year.

laserdoc:
What about the purge model,,,is it worth the extra 10 bucks

No, not really.

or does this mask seldom get water into it.

Depends on the face. A purge valve probably would have nothing to do with continual leaking. A purge valve is handy for the untrainable (I love one such person dearly), the very young, someone who has physical limitations, or someone who has both hands occupied. I believe, except in very narrow use (HydroOptix), these slot into the category of hooey.

Would you pay the extra $$ for the tinted lens. Plan on doing both day and night dives. Trips planed are St. Lucia and Bonaire this year.

No. This tinted stuff is also hooey, but more of a Level One Hooey. Once again, it increases contrast but it reduces amount of light. Do the math. Cute for snorkelers.

Black skirts reduce internal reflections. Black dresses, however, increase reflection (among other things).

They also offer one with twin built in snorkels. Stay simple.

Oh, gee. Look at all of the related threads below!

I tried one of the magenta colored lenses a friend had in Bonaire a few years ago. At first you do see a good bit of difference in the shallow water, trouble is your eyes/brain recalibrate for the tinted lens and everything goes back to normal in a few minutes. There is also the reverse when you remove it, everything had a green hue until my eyes adjusted back. We had several people on the trip try the mask and all pretty much had the same reaction. Kind of cool at the beginning but nothing I would pay for.

Hows the Strap??? I currently have an Older Ocean Master Z4 and the strap is the best I have ever seen.

Then switch them out. Would that work?

I love mine. Actually, have two, one with permanent yellow lens' and one to take on trips which has the switchable lens'.

Most my local diving is in murky freshwater and the yellow lens is awesome, day and night.

Remember, no filter can 'add' a color, filters remove a color.

In order to get the effect of 'adding' reds and orange, the lenses remove blue. Once you get below sixty feet, even in the clearest of water, you pretty much are only working with blue. The Sea Vision colored lenses will penalize you heavily down there, especially in overhangs and coral tunnels.

I have a pair (but then I have a LOT of dive gear) and used to love them on the shallow reef in the summer. The light is so bright that I used to get bad headaches from it. The SeaVisions act like sunglasses there. I had to give them up because I usually am at that shallow reef with beginning divers. Nervous newbies like to see their instructor's eyes. It helps calm them down. Giving a nervous person the 'bugged eyed stare', red lenses, black face, makes them more nervous.

Back
Top Bottom