seavision mask with the colored lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both a yellow tinted and a clear, both with gage readers....the yellow is good in low vis and also is a purge which works great BTW....the other is a plain clear and I am just making my third dive with it tomorrow....the black skirt is great.....IMHO the Oceanmaster strap is light years ahead of anything out there.....for a retro fit if the OM won't work XS Scuba makes a passable knockoff.....
Yarg

RoatanMan:
Respect is always assumed amongst freinds.

The physics of mathematics trumps subjective observation.

You are being fooled by an optical illusion.

"Sharpness"...meaning literaly the visual acuity? By sheer deffinition, what your mind is being tricked into believing is contrary to the math. When you reduce the quanity of light (and you do so with any tinting), what happens? Your iris opens up, and just as a camera lens, the focus becomes softer. Pure simple math. It can not be sharper. Like mom said... turn on a light, or you'll ruin your eyes. What that means is, using the most light possible, constrict your iris, see more clearly and sharply. Biology 101.

For years, we used high powered yellow beams on racing cars. It does increase the contrast, and in fog, distant penetration (with quantity of light) is never an issue- what you want to see is up close. The yellow helped to increase the contrast- that it surely does.

Contrarily, the quality of light is an absolute issue. We learned that severe spot lights triumphed over flood lights. We also found out that the closer you mounted them to the pavement, they penetrated farther as there was less fog withing 10" of the pavement. It also put the lighting on a different parallax angle than the drivers view (much like eliminating backscatter from u/w photo by remoting the strobes fronm the lens). Unfortunately, this has little to do with the use of tinted lenses in diving, but it does point up how distracting red herring arguments can be. Add in human perception over empiricaly tested reality. It's a hard sell.

Bottom line- if tinted yellow lenses were so good, why don't windshields come in yellow? We have the technology to electricaly alter glass shades on demand, but even on the most exotic cars, this isn't available. Hmmmm.

At 150-170, I would assume we're talking wrecks or fresh water- not much to see at that depth in the ocean for critters. Maybe, for a wreck diver, in the murk, looking at close up stuff and with plenty of lights- a good thing. For the other 99% of the diving public, useless.

Doc,

You are correct. Wrecks only, Florida waters, ocean dives, and using an H.I.D. to boot. Illusion or not, I find the yellow tint to help at depth. Your explanation makes alot of sence and I appreciate the informaiton.

p.s. - Never much cared for watching critters - unless of course, I am eating them:D

RoatanMan:
Respect is always assumed amongst freinds.

The physics of mathematics trumps subjective observation.

You are being fooled by an optical illusion.

"Sharpness"...meaning literaly the visual acuity? By sheer deffinition, what your mind is being tricked into believing is contrary to the math. When you reduce the quanity of light (and you do so with any tinting), what happens? Your iris opens up, and just as a camera lens, the focus becomes softer. Pure simple math. It can not be sharper. Like mom said... turn on a light, or you'll ruin your eyes. What that means is, using the most light possible, constrict your iris, see more clearly and sharply. Biology 101.

For years, we used high powered yellow beams on racing cars. It does increase the contrast, and in fog, distant penetration (with quantity of light) is never an issue- what you want to see is up close. The yellow helped to increase the contrast- that it surely does.

Contrarily, the quality of light is an absolute issue. We learned that severe spot lights triumphed over flood lights. We also found out that the closer you mounted them to the pavement, they penetrated farther as there was less fog withing 10" of the pavement. It also put the lighting on a different parallax angle than the drivers view (much like eliminating backscatter from u/w photo by remoting the strobes fronm the lens). Unfortunately, this has little to do with the use of tinted lenses in diving, but it does point up how distracting red herring arguments can be. Add in human perception over empiricaly tested reality. It's a hard sell.

Bottom line- if tinted yellow lenses were so good, why don't windshields come in yellow? We have the technology to electricaly alter glass shades on demand, but even on the most exotic cars, this isn't available. Hmmmm.

At 150-170, I would assume we're talking wrecks or fresh water- not much to see at that depth in the ocean for critters. Maybe, for a wreck diver, in the murk, looking at close up stuff and with plenty of lights- a good thing. For the other 99% of the diving public, useless.

I guess the real bottom line on these thoughts is,,,,what ever looks good to that person is what really matters or not. Out all the posts I find two people who are not really impressed with the pink tint lens . The majortiy of the post are that people do like it and see a differance with them up to around 50 feet. We all know that there is a heck of alot of stuff on a reef to see at 30,40 feet anyway. Will have to try both out I guess and then decide for myself

Easiest way to solve the lens color issue is to get the one with the removeable clip on lens covers that come in in different colors. When you get deep enough that the color you are wearing doesn't work, just take the color off and put it in your pocket.

I have this mask. The guage readers are the BEST I've seen! Bigger than small slivers on others. I have red tinted lens, I use it everydive. Day, Night, low viz , it does not apprecably reduce viz at all. I have a clear lens backup mask but never use it anymore ever!

This is one of my favorite peices of dive gear.

Going to order the Ultra with the pink lens. I have no problem even at 50 seeing my guages. I also have my old Ocean Master with the clear lens that I will use as a back up.

tstonedvr:
I have both a yellow tinted and a clear, both with gage readers....the yellow is good in low vis and also is a purge which works great BTW....the other is a plain clear and I am just making my third dive with it tomorrow....the black skirt is great.....

These are the exact masks and configurations that I too have even down to the yellow with purge and gage readers all around! I too like the yellow in the waters around New England as well as quarries, etc.

Prior to these masks I ALWAYS had problems with leaking but these skirts do work well. However I do have problems with fogging and am curious what others use. I use the SeaVision defog that they came with, though I'm running low now, but have still had issues. They recommend that you do NOT use toothpaste because of lens scratching which had been my preference method in the past. Does anyone have other recommendations for the defogging of these masks?

everyone says this mask is great to about 40feet or so. Whats it look like after the color drops out??

I've only been down to 120 FFW with my mask with the yellow lens', worked fine for me. No loss in clarity, but then again at that depth I'm using my HID. In Maui last year I used the pink lens cover on my other mask and went to 90 FSW and that also worked great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom