Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm often surprised with how much moisture/perspiration accumulates in the drysuit after diving. It's often 85°F + sitting in the sun, then low 40s at depth. I would have sworn there was a leak the first few times, the thermals were so wet...

They really shouldn't be called drysuits.. they should be called semi dry drysuits.
Unless the temp is perfect fall weather and no humidity then I'm damp when I'm done. Beats being soaked and cold.

This is where great undergarments shine as I don't feel damp until climbing out of the suit.

They really shouldn't be called drysuits.. they should be called semi dry drysuits.
Unless the temp is perfect fall weather and no humidity then I'm damp when I'm done. Beats being soaked and cold.

This is where great undergarments shine as I don't feel damp until climbing out of the suit.

Moisture wicking base layers are where it’s at 👌🏼

Exchange rate dropped again yesterday... $1.07!! Back up a cent today to $1.08

Is anyone who's already gotten their suit able to say how accurate the ship estimates are? has it come before the ship estimate any of the times?

Just really excited to get my suit :)

Is anyone who's already gotten their suit able to say how accurate the ship estimates are? has it come before the ship estimate any of the times?

Just really excited to get my suit :)

I think mine came 10 ish days after the projected delivery date.

Ugh, but that's an entire two months away still!!!
Mine got sent on projected delivery date (Living in Spain), it came about a week late I think. Very happy with it though, can't wait for the temperature to drop again, lol.

Update! I did my first two dives in my nova on Sunday at the breakwater in Monterey, CA. It was a successful day!

The Good:
  • No leaks! Seals worked great for me without needing any trimming (Sitech oval system)
  • the 250 thinsulate undergarment kept me comfortably warm. Water temp 53-58 degrees F so it wasn't a cold day.
  • Having the suit and undergarment down at half worked well to prevent overheating on surface interval (temp was around 70 f and sunny)
  • The Expedition pocket was awesome - easy to open with 5mm gloves, but secure
  • the Trilobyte eezycut tool proved helpful in trimming my hood opening
  • Easy to don and doff*
The not as good:
  • *Needed buddy help for the last few inches of zipper at times, especially the zipper cover
  • The hood's face opening was very small and needed trimming to not push against my mask and reg
  • My suit looks baggier around the knees than the other dry suits I'm seeing and it feels baggy there. I have the kevlar knee pads which may attribute to this.
  • Still working on weights and buoyancy - first dive I felt overweighted so dropped 3 lbs for the second dive, which was great until the end of the dive when we were in about 20 ft of water and I had a hard time staying down even after fully dumping air from my bcd and doing the "tuck and vent" in the drysuit. I surfaced, then went back down as we swam to shore and didn't have a problem. Air pocket stuck somewhere unable to vent?
  • During the surface interval, the 250 thinsulate was super hot if I didn't have it down to half. Definitely have to wait until it is go time to put it on fully.
  • I used Apeks RK3 HDs + rock boots and still felt some floaty feet.
Overall: works! Was comfy, temp wise. The fit will take some getting used to, as will the buoyancy, but I think that's more a diver thing than a suit thing. Feels like it'll be a few more dives before I bring my camera out while wearing this suit.

DUI vs Seaskin
My buddy was diving with her custom DUI drysuit and had issues with leaking on the first dive and a wrist seal breaking before the second. She didn't have an extra DUI zipseal with her and the shop nearby didn't carry any so she ended up renting a wetsuit for the second dive then buying new wrist seals ($100 for a pair) afterwards. Made me glad the Seaskin nova has the replaceable seal system it has!

Update! I did my first two dives in my nova on Sunday at the breakwater in Monterey, CA. It was a successful day!

The Good:
  • No leaks! Seals worked great for me without needing any trimming (Sitech oval system)
  • the 250 thinsulate undergarment kept me comfortably warm. Water temp 53-58 degrees F so it wasn't a cold day.
  • Having the suit and undergarment down at half worked well to prevent overheating on surface interval (temp was around 70 f and sunny)
  • The Expedition pocket was awesome - easy to open with 5mm gloves, but secure
  • the Trilobyte eezycut tool proved helpful in trimming my hood opening
  • Easy to don and doff*
The not as good:
  • *Needed buddy help for the last few inches of zipper at times, especially the zipper cover
  • The hood's face opening was very small and needed trimming to not push against my mask and reg
  • My suit looks baggier around the knees than the other dry suits I'm seeing and it feels baggy there. I have the kevlar knee pads which may attribute to this.
  • Still working on weights and buoyancy - first dive I felt overweighted so dropped 3 lbs for the second dive, which was great until the end of the dive when we were in about 20 ft of water and I had a hard time staying down even after fully dumping air from my bcd and doing the "tuck and vent" in the drysuit. I surfaced, then went back down as we swam to shore and didn't have a problem. Air pocket stuck somewhere unable to vent?
  • During the surface interval, the 250 thinsulate was super hot if I didn't have it down to half. Definitely have to wait until it is go time to put it on fully.
  • I used Apeks RK3 HDs + rock boots and still felt some floaty feet.
Overall: works! Was comfy, temp wise. The fit will take some getting used to, as will the buoyancy, but I think that's more a diver thing than a suit thing. Feels like it'll be a few more dives before I bring my camera out while wearing this suit.

DUI vs Seaskin
My buddy was diving with her custom DUI drysuit and had issues with leaking on the first dive and a wrist seal breaking before the second. She didn't have an extra DUI zipseal with her and the shop nearby didn't carry any so she ended up renting a wetsuit for the second dive then buying new wrist seals ($100 for a pair) afterwards. Made me glad the Seaskin nova has the replaceable seal system it has!

Congrats on the new Drysuit. It will take time to get everything down. Still trying to “perfect” my trim, buoyancy, and everything else when diving dry. Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom