Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys,
My Seaskin Nova arrive one month ago, with couple weeks before, and I managed to dive with the suit in a cave for the first time. The material seems to be very resistant, with the seams glued beautifully, to the old suit Waterproof -D1. I ordered Cuff dump in Addition to shoulder dump, and I can tell you it's worth all the money, this simple change, helps me a lot me with buoyancy. Kubi rings are state of the art, easy to use, not very bulky, I love them.
What do you like about the cuff dump? I feel like it would be more useful on the opposing arm, so you could vent on either side if you wanted.

you have the integrated “tech boots”? How do you like them? Also do you already have the kubi dry gloves setup?

I ordered Cuff dump in Addition to shoulder dump, and I can tell you it's worth all the money, this simple change, helps me a lot me with buoyancy.

That is an interesting statement. Just for more context, how many dives have you done in a drysuit prior to getting this Seaskin?

One thing I saw other divers doing this past weekend that I thought "that's a good idea" was they would extend their left arm to the side and up some, to get excess air to run in there. Then, they would just bend their arm down to curl it up tightly, while keeping the shoulder dump positioned up high, and it would instantly squeeze all that air right out of the shoulder dump. That seemed to work even better than my usual process of just dipping my right shoulder down while also holding my left arm straight down and left shoulder up a bit.

I w
That is an interesting statement. Just for more context, how many dives have you done in a drysuit prior to getting this Seaskin?

One thing I saw other divers doing this past weekend that I thought "that's a good idea" was they would extend their left arm to the side and up some, to get excess air to run in there. Then, they would just bend their arm down to curl it up tightly, while keeping the shoulder dump positioned up high, and it would instantly squeeze all that air right out of the shoulder dump. That seemed to work even better than my usual process of just dipping my right shoulder down while also holding my left arm straight down and left shoulder up a bit.
I wouldn’t like the wrist dump, it would vent my suit while I’m getting air into my gloves :wink: for venting the suit the slight roll is something that I do unconsciously.

I w

I wouldn’t like the wrist dump, it would vent my suit while I’m getting air into my gloves :wink: for venting the suit the slight roll is something that I do unconsciously.

Yeah, I don't think I would like it, either, for a variety of reasons. But, if you're trying to put air into your gloves, I would think you could screw the wrist dump down, to keep it closed, just like you can on a shoulder dump.

Personally, once I submerge at the start, I usually turn my shoulder dump closed a turn or two, to prevent any accidental dumping of air from screwing with my buoyancy. Once I begin my ascent, then I open it up. If it's a multi-level dive, then I might open it after a change to a shallower depth, vent some air, then close it again. But, for most of my cold water diving, it's on wrecks and I don't need to vent my suit at all until I'm actually done and ascending to the surface.

I think Seaskin says something about the wrist dump being for CCR divers. I don't get that, either. I dive a CCR and I still don't see any reason I'd want a wrist dump.

Yeah, I don't think I would like it, either, for a variety of reasons. But, if you're trying to put air into your gloves, I would think you could screw the wrist dump down, to keep it closed, just like you can on a shoulder dump.

Personally, once I submerge at the start, I usually turn my shoulder dump closed a turn or two, to prevent any accidental dumping of air from screwing with my buoyancy. Once I begin my ascent, then I open it up. If it's a multi-level dive, then I might open it after a change to a shallower depth, vent some air, then close it again. But, for most of my cold water diving, it's on wrecks and I don't need to vent my suit at all until I'm actually done and ascending to the surface.

I think Seaskin says something about the wrist dump being for CCR divers. I don't get that, either. I dive a CCR and I still don't see any reason I'd want a wrist dump.
When I dive, (my valves are si-tech), I’m 15 clicks closed at the beginning, 9 clicks closed at the end of the dive. Don’t use my wing except at the surface. I like being able to roll left or right without losing any air in the suit, unless it’s surplus air. If I ascent the excess will dump, but as long as I maintain depth no dumping and perfectly neutral. This is also the recommended method in the si-tech valves manual, but I don’t see anyone else here diving this way...

When I dive, (my valves are si-tech), I’m 15 clicks closed at the beginning, 9 clicks closed at the end of the dive. Don’t use my wing except at the surface. I like being able to roll left or right without losing any air in the suit, unless it’s surplus air. If I ascent the excess will dump, but as long as I maintain depth no dumping and perfectly neutral. This is also the recommended method in the si-tech valves manual, but I don’t see anyone else here diving this way...

Yep. I don't believe in using my suit for buoyancy, except in an emergency. I've met a few people who do that, but most of the people I've talked to about it agree with suit for comfort and wing for buoyancy.

Also, you can say that rolling right and losing air means it was "surplus air", but that doesn't change the fact that it is changing your buoyancy when that happens.

I use the suit for buoyancy and comfort I don’t like squeeze and I don’t like being cold so they uses intersect perfectly, I rarely turn the dump down more than a few clicks and only then when I’m doing something that triggers the dump, by the end of the dive it’s usually open as depth decreases venting is automatic, it’s a cold water thing because pretty much everyone here does the same, unless they have been bit by dogma.

Also, you can say that rolling right and losing air means it was "surplus air", but that doesn't change the fact that it is changing your buoyancy when that happens.
I’m not sure I’m clear on what you’re trying to say here. My point at least is it’s easier to control my buoyancy with the suit, because once the auto dump is dialed in, as long as it’s not dumping air, I am neutrally buoyant. This is in contrast to a wing, where you have to manually add or remove air, so I notice the change in buoyancy much more with using a wing vs the suit. For me I can manage the suit this way without almost any effort.

The major caveat is it depends on your weighting being really good. If you’re overweight you’ll feel like the Michelin man. Also if you were diving doubles this clearly wouldn’t work.

I would think you could screw the wrist dump down, to keep it closed, just like you can on a shoulder dump.

None of the cuff dumps I have met are adjustable. They are a simple non return valve and you control dumping purely by raising your arm.

They are generally fitted in the very low end off the shelf suits. Nobody really uses them these days but hire suits, being cheap, often have them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom