Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just about to buy my first Seaskin (and then spend the next 3 months obsessively checking emails and watching the clock until it arrives). What extras did you all buy? I'm thinking of getting:
  • Drysuit
    • fully telescopic
    • extra thick undergarments
    • plastic zip with zip cover
    • trigon p-valve
    • quick neck (or do I go orust and forgo the warm neck?)
    • simple warm neck
    • oval cuffs (my hands are big and don't fold, so I would struggle getting the 100mm Kubis on and they would be much bulkier than the ovals)
    • DIR valve position
    • SI Tech valves
    • Neoprene socks
    • 40mm braces
    • Expedition pockets x2
  • Undergarment 250
    • I know people try to game the system and avoid duty, but it seems like the $75 shipping to the US is more than the cost of 28% tax
    • I'm thinking of just the 250 because that seems like the best compromise. I feel that it'll be good in warmer water dry diving and in colder water stuff. If I ever start ice diving, I can layer extra stuff underneath, and if I'm too warm, I can get less insulating gear at that point.
  • Extra neck seal x1
  • Extra wrist seals x1 pair
What other extras should I buy at this point? Are there any other spare parts that I would want for my SAD kit?

I will get the quick disconnects, condom caths, skin prep wipes, and rock boots later once the suit is closer to arrival.

Is there any other advice that you would have for me at this point? I've tried to go through all the pages, but there's a lot of info and I probably missed some.
pretty close to my choice, exceptions for me, standard braces, no warm neck (I had it on my first suit and it made some repair harder to accomplish) I use the waterproof neoprene seal that works with the quick neck. I don’t do the Dir exhaust, never had a need for more than one pocket, even when I had a suit with two the left one never was used. I’ve not opted for the extra room, can’t comment on it other than I’ve never needed it.

im not a fan of the puffy thinsulate type undies I’ve tried them several times and just a no go for me.

unless you have a specific need for the extra protection (suit comes with all that most people need) that Rob suggests, I wouldn’t bother.

unless you have a specific need for the extra protection (suit comes with all that most people need) that Rob suggests, I wouldn’t bother.
Yeah.. I'm not sure it's needed either. I got all of it and the padding I really like is the knees and the shoulders.

I got the velcro warm neck and that's just dumb. I think I'd do what you did and get no warm neck and spring for the Waterproof neo neck. I thought I would be able to seal around my neck better but in the 30 and 40's I can still really feel it🥶

Yeah.. I'm not sure it's needed either. I got all of it and the padding I really like is the knees and the shoulders.

I got the velcro warm neck and that's just dumb. I think I'd do what you did and get no warm neck and spring for the Waterproof neo neck. I thought I would be able to seal around my neck better but in the 30 and 40's I can still really feel it🥶
I’m a bit on the edge over the quick neck over just a glued in neo seal, they last a really long time, repairable and since I have two (3 if you count the old nova) down time isn’t a factor if the seal needs replacing. I just couldn’t bring my self to do it.

I’m a bit on the edge over the quick neck over just a glued in neo seal, they last a really long time, repairable and since I have two (3 if you count the old nova) down time isn’t a factor if the seal needs replacing. I just couldn’t bring my self to do it.

My old suit had a neo neck seal glued in, never had any issues and very warm. I don't think you can go wrong either way. It does help me sleep a little better knowing I can swap out on a boat. I watched a guy tear his neck seal on a boat and then he was stuck. It's too far and too much work for me to make the trip and not be able to have plan B, so there's that.

My old suit had a neo neck seal glued in, never had any issues and very warm. I don't think you can go wrong either way. It does help me sleep a little better knowing I can swap out on a boat. I watched a guy tear his neck seal on a boat and then he was stuck. It's too far and too much work for me to make the trip and not be able to have plan B, so there's that.
I almost never boat dive but I do drive over 3 hours, so I do carry extra seals. I’ve only had issues with tearing of silicone seals, so far the waterproof have been great.

oval cuffs (my hands are big and don't fold, so I would struggle getting the 100mm Kubis on and they would be much bulkier than the ovals)
Have you tried to stuff your mitts through a set of rings? Might be worth going to an lds that has a size board to try. Also, I'd add the Kevlar to your knees at least. I've tripped in murky water when exiting more than once and I'm sure the knee Kevlar helped save my suit. Rest of the suit looks like a great build.

I almost never boat dive but I do drive over 3 hours, so I do carry extra seals. I’ve only had issues with tearing of silicone seals, so far the waterproof have been great.
It seems that the silicone has a lot of give opening up, but when it goes it goes. The dude I saw was trying to rush and push his head through (so out as opposed to open) and then it popped.

I would definitely get the Kevlar knees.

I have a Quick Neck on my Nova and an Orust on my newer DR suit.

I guess the Orust is more flexible, but I kind of prefer the Quick Neck just because there are no little clips to lose.

The Waterproof replaceable neo neck seal is great. I have a glued-in neo neck in my Seaskin Ultra. I've somehow gotten a small hole in it twice now. No idea how. I was able to just glue on patches over the holes to fix them. But, that has made me kinda wish I'd gotten a Quick Neck on that suit, too. Even neo seals are not bulletproof...

I would definitely get the Kevlar knees.

I have a Quick Neck on my Nova and an Orust on my newer DR suit.

I guess the Orust is more flexible, but I kind of prefer the Quick Neck just because there are no little clips to lose.

The Waterproof replaceable neo neck seal is great. I have a glued-in neo neck in my Seaskin Ultra. I've somehow gotten a small hole in it twice now. No idea how. I was able to just glue on patches over the holes to fix them. But, that has made me kinda wish I'd gotten a Quick Neck on that suit, too. Even neo seals are not bulletproof...
It’s probably your nose piercings or earrings poking holes in the neck seal :wink:

1.0000 Seaskin Nova - Membrane Diving Drysuit 536.6000 536.60
1.0000 Suit and Stitching Colour - Nova Membrane Dry Suit 5.7000 5.70
1.0000 Colour:Royal Blue with Red Arms (+£6.00);Thread
Colour:Black
0.0000 0.00 0.00 0.00
Colour:Royal Blue with Red Arms (+£6.00);Thread
Colour:Black;
1.0000 Nova Style and Cut Options
1.0000 Fully Telescopic Torso 32.4800 32.48
1.0000 Allowance for extra thick undersuits 14.2400 14.24
1.0000 Nova Zip and Pee Valve Options
1.0000 Main Body Dry Zip Cover 13.5600 13.56
1.0000 Zip flap colour:Same colour as arms; 0.0000 0.00 0.00 0.00
Zip flap colour:Same colour as arms;
1.0000 YKK Plastic Dry Zip fitted into membrane drysuit
1.0000 Fitted SiTech Trigon Pee Valve 69.5100 69.51
1.0000 Pee Valve Hose Tidy 6.1800 6.18
1.0000 Nova Seal, Neck and Wrist System Options
1.0000 Quick Neck system with Silflex seal 51.0200 51.02
1.0000 Seal colour:Black; 0.0000 0.00 0.00 0.00
Seal colour:Black;
Warm Neck Simple 7.9800 7.98
1.0000 Kubi Fitted Dry Cuff System 118.7000 118.70
1.0000 Diameter:90mm; 0.0000 0.00 0.00 0.00
Diameter:90mm;
1.0000 Neo Kubi Ring Covers 13.6700 13.67
1.0000 Nova Valve Options
1.0000 Move Dump (DIR)
1.0000 Nova Boot and Sock Options
1.0000 Compressed Neoprene Socks
1.0000 Nova Protection Options
1.0000 PU Bum Pads 8.2300 8.23
1.0000 PU Crutch Reinforcement 4.8300 4.83
1.0000 PU Back Pad 9.1200 9.12
1.0000 PU Shoulder Reinforcement 7.4100 7.41
1.0000 Nova Comfort and Customisation Options
1.0000 Increase Braces width to 40mm 7.6000 7.60
1.0000 NO Logos on Suit
1.0000 Elasticated Back Panel 13.3000 13.30
1.0000 Nova Pockets and Attachment Options
1.0000 Expedition Pocket
Position of expedition pocket:Right thigh outside seam; 0.0000 0.00 0.00 0.00
Position of expedition pocket:Right thigh outside seam;
1.0000 Second Expedition Pocket 37.7900 37.79
1.0000 Position of expedition pocket:Left thigh outside seam; 0.0000 0.00 0.00 0.00
Position of expedition pocket:Left thigh outside seam;
1.0000 Computer Strap Patches x2 6.3900 6.39
1.0000 Strap position:Right forearm; 0.0000 0.00 0.00 0.00
Strap position:Right forearm

That was my specs.minus the sizes.
One thing I probably wouldn't do if I had to do it again is the pee valve hose tidy. It's more of a hassle to me than just moving the hose out of the way.
I did add the computer strap as on my previous drysuit I had issues with my computer rotating out of where I want it.

Back
Top Bottom