Seasickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That differs from what I've been finding: Can you get scopolamine patch over counter?

I can't seem to find it around here.

All of these medications seem to have the potential to cause drowsiness -- Bonine has the warning, "May make you sleepy. Use caution when driving."
Yeah.. whatever happened in Vietnam the companies all stopped selling it:(. I went through this recently...tried ordering from a few vendors (4). None had it, and they all said they couldn't get it. Bummer.

A prescription is the only way I'm afraid. I haven't done it. My last few boat rides have been great without it.

That differs from what I've been finding: Can you get scopolamine patch over counter?

I can't seem to find it around here.

All of these medications seem to have the potential to cause drowsiness -- Bonine has the warning, "May make you sleepy. Use caution when driving."
True, but like many potential side effects for various medicines, it may or may not have that effect on you. I take a Bonine every morning when I cruise, every time I fly, etc. I've never noticed any drowsiness, although as I mentioned earlier Dramamine does make me noticeably drowsy. A box of Bonine is cheap; the only way to know if it makes you drowsy (or works for you) is to try it.

ondasetron works the best even for kids, nothing else getting close. get the cheapest generic dont forget drugs are not the brand name but the active ingredient and today GMP and FDA req are so strict that any manufacturer in south america asia is the same as a brand name

ondasetron works the best even for kids, nothing else getting close. get the cheapest generic dont forget drugs are not the brand name but the active ingredient and today GMP and FDA req are so strict that any manufacturer in south america asia is the same as a brand name

While there is a bell curve for everything, and I'm sure that some people may feel better with Zofran (ondasetron), it is really meant for nausea related to chemotherapy or after general anesthesia. What I have read suggests that it isn't very effective for motion sickness.

While there is a bell curve for everything, and I'm sure that some people may feel better with Zofran (ondasetron), it is really meant for nausea related to chemotherapy or after general anesthesia. What I have read suggests that it isn't very effective for motion sickness.
Yes it used in chemo sickness for kids also...maybe in europe is different way of prescribing

My boy had car sick and with 4 mg was great, now hes 9 and his motion sickness appears only on bumpy boat rides. Not sure if was ondasetron that cured him but probably lack of sickness made his brain adapt ( at least car drives were a nightmare now not anymore and I can say I gave him half of blister only then once we forgot and he was ok ) In reality works great doctor prescribed, I read the insert I called him back he said trust me and I went ahead.

Sure you need a prescription but thats my experience.

I mean, I'm not saying that it can't work, but just going by the evidence that I have seen (the papers I cited above), it doesn't seem to be indicated for motion sickness. That's a different mechanism for producing nausea than chemo or anesthesia.

And since it's a prescription medication with some rare but significant risks (like the cardic complications, neurological issues, etc..), I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it in that scenario, especially since there isn't consistent evidence of efficacy.

I definitely take some motion sickness pills if I know seas are greater than 3ft. 2-3ft seas is pushing it, at 3 I start to feel it but can deal with it. Once it's 4+, I have to have motion sickness pills.

One thing that works for me when I do feel ill in 3ft seas, if I didn't take anything, is to find a place with a cool breeze. If I sit up in the cabin area and the window is closed, I feel just as sick as sitting in the back of the boat with the fumes. I usually request the window be opened and I stand in the middle of the boat and absorb some of the motion with my legs.

I usually take half a motion sickness pill when I get to the dock. I find that I start feeling drowsy on the drive home. I've also used the patch, but they can be pricey depending on your co-pay.

I get seasick just looking at boats. No over the counter remedy ever helped. Twenty years ago I discovered the scopolamine patch. Have not ever been sick since, even when other divers were. You need a prescription, and the generic version relatively inexpensive. Side effects include a slightly dry mouth, which can be offset with Biotene, and you feel a bit like you have mild jetlag. Put it on the night before you dive and each one keeps you good for 3 days. Only remedy I've tried that works.

I get seasick just looking at boats. No over the counter remedy ever helped. Twenty years ago I discovered the scopolamine patch. Have not ever been sick since, even when other divers were. You need a prescription, and the generic version relatively inexpensive. Side effects include a slightly dry mouth, which can be offset with Biotene, and you feel a bit like you have mild jetlag. Put it on the night before you dive and each one keeps you good for 3 days. Only remedy I've tried that works.

Yup, I think that the only reason most of my buddies still dive with me is that I can call in a script for those!

:)

There's now a device based on this tech that is apparently quite effective, it's a shame about the price though.

I would like to add my two cents in on this but not because of my experience in diving or having a degree, but as a gamer.(laugh all you want but hear me out)

A bit of context...

A few years ago, a new device was emerging that would be a game changer for the world. It promised not only a new gaming experience but a new way of learning and communicating with others. This device was called, the Oculus Rift. It was the first of true real time virtual reality at home.

Fast forward to right after I got mine and a few months later when I got the motion controls. There was a problem when you did certain movements where your sensory input did not match what your vestibular system (balance and weight distribution) was telling your brain. This, in the gaming community, was known as hurling because it was so strong in some people that they would literally vomit the moment they realized something was off.

The term "getting your VR legs" came about because if you pushed through it slowly and worked on it,just like aiming a virtual sword to hit a virtual enemy, it got better. The main source of sickness was strafing (moving left or right while facing forward). In gaming,this is necessary but in real life,you just don't move like that.

In other things,like a rollercoaster, you can feel your stomach drop even though you are sitting in a motionless chair, so VR was fully tricking the vestibular system, including your sense of gravity.

After I got my VR legs, I have never been seasick again, with one caveat, I have to have food in my stomach before. How did I get over the sickness? Ginger gum or a peppermint candy. I tried other gums and other candies,but ginger gum or peppermint candy worked to settle my stomach until I was able to push through it.

Now, when I know I am going to be on a boat or in a situation that I would normally have gotten queasy, I remember to "disconnect" and while I have not been through any scientific studies or specific tests, I know that I won't have that issue, at least for the situations I have been in this far.

I know it's all conjecture and circumstantial evidence, but I really do believe that we can train our brain to allow for mismatched inputs.

Back
Top Bottom