Seasickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get sea sick on a swing and cant dive in kelp, let alone off a boat, without medication. If i'm too late taking my pills I usually blow out my eye capillaries and vomit yellow so no 'try ginger' comments please.
Kwells/Travelcalm (oral Hysocine) work well but I find them dehydrating which worries me as a risk factor for DCS. They are also a problem with staying awake when driving home after a dive. I would like to try antihistamines (Melizine or Dimenhydrinate) or Ondanestron but dont want to ruin a dive day if they fail.
Does anyone have experience with these in comparison to oral Hyoscine?
Thanks, Jane

Stick with kwells. The other medications will make you more drowsy and will be less effective with nausea.

The most important ways I prevent sea sickness are eating a small breakfast as soon as I wake up and standing on the boat while holding a rails and absorbing the motion with my knees and ankles. Allowing the boat to sway around you while you remain still is absolutely a great way to mitigate sea sickness. I also try to empty my bowels before I leave the house. :)

I think Ondansteron (Zofran) is the gold standard of anti-nausea treatments, but it requires a prescription and is expensive. Qwells can be had without a script, are relatively inexpensive and work well for me

Bonine (Meclizine) has been the magic pill for me. Boats, cars, planes - no problem and it doesn’t make me drowsy. I bought some Dramamine once at the airport because I forgot the Bonine and it pretty much knocked me out.

Bonine (Meclizine) has been the magic pill for me. Boats, cars, planes - no problem and it doesn’t make me drowsy. I bought some Dramamine once at the airport because I forgot the Bonine and it pretty much knocked me out.
The variation of how medications affect different people is interesting. For me, Dramamine (the real stuff) works wonders. All I need is one tablet and I'm good for the day, no matter how bad the conditions. On the boat, I don't really notice any drowsiness at all. However, there have been occasions where I've taken a dramamine, and the dive got cancelled. Back at the room, I was a half-conscious, drooling monkey for several hours. There is something about being task-oriented that makes the drowsiness a non-issue for me when diving. But my experiences with it in non-diving circumstances makes me understand how it could be a problem for some.

I think Ondansteron (Zofran) is the gold standard of anti-nausea treatments, but it requires a prescription and is expensive.

True, but t also has significant side effects. Zofran is approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) for chemotherapy and radiation patients (my wife was an oncology research RN). It is not approved for sea sickness so doctors would be very reluctant to prescribe it. Lower doses are sometimes used for severe morning sickness in the first trimester.

Apparently constipation is a serious problem — like "go to the ER" kind of a problem.

Actually worse than constipation (necrosis of the small intestine) but that and constipation only if you are taking the drug long term.

Can order from ebay without a prescription for fairly cheap.
That differs from what I've been finding: Can you get scopolamine patch over counter?
Kwells can be had without a script, are relatively inexpensive and work well for me
I can't seem to find it around here.

All of these medications seem to have the potential to cause drowsiness -- Bonine has the warning, "May make you sleepy. Use caution when driving."

That differs from what I've been finding: Can you get scopolamine patch over counter?

I can't seem to find it around here.

All of these medications seem to have the potential to cause drowsiness -- Bonine has the warning, "May make you sleepy. Use caution when driving."
Ebay is your friend

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom