Seasickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. I wonder if the technology can be modified specifically to acclimatize people to motion sickness?
I wouldn't know how to even begin but I do know that each time I go back into VR if I haven't been in for a while,I have to remind myself to "disconnect" and then I am 100% fine, even with things like moving backwards and to the left or right while looking forwards,which is very jarring if you aren't prepared for it.

This is also why a lot of VR games use the teleport mechanic, because it is hard for people to get their VR legs if they are just trying it out.

Wow, that's really good information. I have an Oculust Quest 2 that I LOVE (mainly for the workouts), maybe I'll suggest that to my buddies who have a harder time with boat dives...

After my experience with Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula, all I could say is, "Wow, I'd hate to see the More Drowsy Formula." Do you have any idea how hard it is to Clean Ship when you're about to fall asleep standing up?

I was so "in tune" with the sea, I could be down in Sonar Control and feel the exact moment we crossed from the harbor to the open ocean, or the reverse.

I was so "in tune" with the sea, I could be down in Sonar Control and feel the exact moment we crossed from the harbor to the open ocean, or the reverse.

Related sea story: I was below deck working while this new 250'/76M DSV was taken out into the North Sea the first time for sea trials. This was in the mid-1970s and I had no experience with passive or active stabilizers. As expected, the roll got worse and worse until we were walking on bulkheads.

I had heard about the new passive stabilizing system in the yard, which looked like about a 3M square void that ran the full width of the boat, a little above the water line and foreword of the moonpool. There were a few expanded metal "baffles" but nothing else. The whole diving crew was thinking of ways to use the void when they figured out this crackpot idea was a waste of premium space.

All of a sudden, she stopped rolling and all of us thought they gave up and retreated to the harbor. We went up on deck and there was green water breaking over the starboard side. We found out later that some egghead (PhD marine architect) was in the wheelhouse dialing-in the passive stabilizing tank. It made the roll far worse as tons of water sloshed from port to starboard until that sweet spot was hit. We became believers within seconds.

Scopolamine has saved my life. Put on the night before, eat something light in the morning on the way to the boat. Absolutely zero issues regardless how rough it gets. I can use the head, I can eat... doesn't matter. On the days that I might feel a little uneasy, it's maybe ~ 5% but I can usually get that to go away just walking to the back.

I used to get so sick I wasn't sure if diving was for me (from boats anyway).

Can order from ebay without a prescription for fairly cheap.

@doctormike, great article!

Take a spoonful of jam before you head out to sea. At least it won’t taste to bad.

I get sea sick on a swing and cant dive in kelp, let alone off a boat, without medication. If i'm too late taking my pills I usually blow out my eye capillaries and vomit yellow so no 'try ginger' comments please.
Kwells/Travelcalm (oral Hysocine) work well but I find them dehydrating which worries me as a risk factor for DCS. They are also a problem with staying awake when driving home after a dive. I would like to try antihistamines (Melizine or Dimenhydrinate) or Ondanestron but dont want to ruin a dive day if they fail.
Does anyone have experience with these in comparison to oral Hyoscine?
Thanks, Jane

I get sea sick on a swing and cant dive in kelp, let alone off a boat, without medication. If i'm too late taking my pills I usually blow out my eye capillaries and vomit yellow so no 'try ginger' comments please.
Kwells/Travelcalm (oral Hysocine) work well but I find them dehydrating which worries me as a risk factor for DCS. They are also a problem with staying awake when driving home after a dive. I would like to try antihistamines (Melizine or Dimenhydrinate) or Ondanestron but dont want to ruin a dive day if they fail.
Does anyone have experience with these in comparison to oral Hyoscine?
Thanks, Jane
I used a lot of Dramamine and Meclazine and got sick, barf through the reg sick for years. Hyoscine makes me not get sick. We have done 12 days of boat diving in the last 17 days without a problem. This includes analizing tanks and gearing up while underway. I take a Meclazine the night before, Travacalm in the morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom